Thread: Doug Copp...

Default Doug Copp...

Don't remember seeing this guy mentioned on these forums before. Picked up a reference to him on Fire-L...

Here's Doug's site
    http://www.amerrescue.org/

Which looks good at first...wait, is that actually someone involved in a technical rescue hamming for the camera?

This link has links to the Alburque Journal's July expose on Copp:

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_o...er_hero_w.html

Upshot of Journal report
    Publish Doug Copp's name in the newspaper and this is a sampling of what you get:

A phone call from an Albuquerque businessman who says Copp owes him about $2,000 for an unpaid backhoe rental bill.

A call from a Turkish newspaper concerned that Copp was wearing a patch from a Turkish rescue team in the laid-out-on-the-bed-in-the-red-jumpsuit-with-a-rip-down-there photo that ran on the Journal's front page and in the New York Post.

An e-mail from a member of the Fairfax, Va., urban search and rescue team who says he helped to remove Copp from the World Trade Center command center.

An e-mail from a woman in Pennsylvania who says Copp took advantage of her after her husband drowned four years ago.

A call from the Bernalillo County sheriff saying, "I'd like to kick his ***. Seriously, let me have five minutes alone with him."

A call from the man who said he, not Copp, really found JFK Jr.'s body.

A challenge from "the world's most outspoken investigator of the paranormal, the psychic and the just plain weird" to Copp to prove his body-sniffing machine works.

A call from firefighters at a firehouse in Pittsburgh to offer their supportó to the Journal, not to Copp.

Loads of e-mails and phone calls from angry search and rescue professionals and volunteers who said things like "... it makes me sick to read of the fraudulent actions of those like Copp." And, "Thank you for finally exposing Mr. Copp. His antics have frustrated and embarrassed legitimate SAR volunteers for years."

And e-mails from people angry at the newspaper for picking on Copp and wasting newsprint when there are many stories that are more important.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

I bet there's a few thousand brothers that would like to talk to him about this statement:

Copp provided scant evidence of what he did in New York to respond to assertions that he did nothing. But he attacked at length people who have questioned his claim. Copp said: The New York Fire Department is lying about him to cover up its cowardice in failing to search for victims.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Did any of you take the time to read all the attached stories? This is fascinating.

This guy managed to con Senators, businessmen, journalists, NYPD, FDNY, FEMA etc. Although this guy sounds like a complete jerk, he must have one gift of gab.

Personally, I make it a personal rule to never, ever trust a man in a red jumpsuit unless he is driving a sled pulled by at least 8 reindeer.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yup!!.......................

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

Personally, I make it a personal rule to never, ever trust a man in a red jumpsuit unless he is driving a sled pulled by at least 8 reindeer.
    At least one of which must have a Red Nose??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Dalmation90 Thanks for exposing this guy like you I dont recall seeing anything about him here. I have read most of the stories and wonder how he ever fooled so many. I have a feeling this forum will get lots of posts. Everyone should take a look at the links Dalmation90 provided.

Forum Member

I remember reading about him before, but I can't remember where. Thought it was on here, but maybe not.......

Forum Member

I remember reading about him before, but I can't remember where. Thought it was on here, but maybe not.......

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

OK I think we get your point
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Copp out?

Notice how he's "saved lives" in every country BUT the United States? The webpage seems to be all about him and not about anyone else on this "team." There's no "I" in team. Moron.

It also seems funny that this guy assembles a "team" of so called "rescuers" and tries to sound legit. You want an eyewitness account? Here's an article about the guy that will REALLY **** you off: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1170125/posts

Seriously, what kind of an idiot crams himself between two UNSUPPORTED concrete slabs? Especially with ALL his experience?You'll never hide under a desk again? I agree with that Sheriff, I wanna beat this guy senseless. I'm so mad, I think I'm going to throw my neighbor's cat out the window.

Nice copy of the U.N. symbol, Doug. Traitor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Sad part is as I read the article(s) I found myself thinking that he sounded a lot like a firefighter I have had the misfortune to work with. I hate these frickin 'blowflies', all they do is want to be around death and pain for their own egos.

On a side note, gotta love that arse and crotch combination ventilation and evacuation system on his nice red jumpsuit. Real classy, oh and patches on his back - boy, you'd think anyone in the emergency services would smell the rat on this guy a mile away.

It's a very sad case really, I'd almost feel sorry for his pathetic need for self glorification if he wasn't duping the families of victims.

Forum Member

In early 1994, Mr. Copp began taking some public credit for saving lives in that year's Northridge, California earthquake. We chose to play hardball with him early on, and he very soon recanted under the pressure - making the Northridge earthquake the only significant disaster in North America in which he never formally claimed to be involved.

Kudos to the Albuquerque Journal for their investigative series.

http://www.abqjournal.com/terror

Please remember him when you hear of agencies taking strong permiter and accountability measures in the future. Leaning on our documentation, we were able to make Mr. Copp fold. His "teachings" continue to circulate on the Internet, and have been widely debunked and debated:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/triangle.asp

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

firenresq77, I believe you're thinking about that husband and wife team that was running a scam with (if I remember correctly) training videos. Somebody posted a link or two about them here.

Everyone needs to read the newspaper series. This Copp guy is clearly a very skilled con artist.

Forum Member

Default Re: Copp out?

Originally posted by engine1321
    The webpage seems to be all about him and not about anyone else on this "team." There's no "I" in team. Moron.

Yes, but there is an "m" and an "e" and that gets you me. This guys is a scumbag.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re:Re: Copp out?

I mean seriously, how much of a scum bag can this guy be? The more I read the articles about this guy the more I wish I knew where he was, and how he better wish the FBI finds him before some of these families.

Forum Member

Originally posted by EFD840
    firenresq77, I believe you're thinking about that husband and wife team that was running a scam with (if I remember correctly) training videos. Somebody posted a link or two about them here.
    Nope. It was this guy. I'm positive of that. I thought it was on here, but maybe it was some other website........

Truckie

Can't believe this guy has survived this long with all dirt being dug up on him. Mutt has reached a new level of low with this guy...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

HERE is a previous thread. This isn't the one I was thinking of, though.......... I'll have to keep looking. I'm thinking it was a link to an article on Yahoo.......

Thread Information