Forum Member

Default term appointment

What is a term appointment. The benefits, will it turn into permanent, etc...

Forum Member

Thumbs down Buying KSA

Or you can buy your KSAs off the internet like that guy from New York did.

Forum Member

Lightbulb lol

Don't hate the player.. Hate the game

Forum Member

Thumbs down mattdog

You are missing the point. If you can't write your own KSAs, which are basic fire questions, how can you do the job? I am glad that I am not riding on a truck with you. Do all federal firefighters a favor and stay where you are. It's not a game- there are lives at stake.

Forum Member

Default Re: mattdog

Originally posted by marine12
    You are missing the point. If you can't write your own KSAs, which are basic fire questions, how can you do the job? I am glad that I am not riding on a truck with you. Do all federal firefighters a favor and stay where you are. It's not a game- there are lives at stake.
    What does writing a good KSA have to do with doing the actual job? When it comes down to it NOTHING! KSA's are just regurgitating the words that the computers and the paper pushers want to see, and has little to do with doing the job. To knock someone that needs help doing the paperwork but might be able to do the job itself well is a sign of ignorance.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Thumbs down Buying KSA's

KSA's

1 Ability to extinguish and control fires through established fire
    department concepts.
    2 Ability to rescue victims and provide emergency medical care.
    3 Ability to respond to hazardous materials releases.
    4 Ability to drive and operate fire department vehicles.

Come on.....

THE END

Lightbulb THE POINT IS.................................

If he is buying the KSA's and Resumix/OF-612 from a Co. and they are not a true reflection of his qualifications-then that is FRAUD and cause for Dismissal.
    Last edited by cbaafge89; 10-26-2004 at 08:09 AM.

Forum Member

Pretty sad when you can't write your own KSAs!!!

Exclamation KSA's

As of the 9th day of November, 2004 , The Northeast CPOC DEU Staff is now looking into this matter.

Whats there to look into? I see from checking out one of these resume place website that the people who work for them are ex-employees of the CPOC/CPAC federal grading system. Who's more wrong? The person using taking advantage of the company or the person working for the place? It takes someone with a brain to think of using a resume place and some who knows the keywords and the procedures to work for them! If a college student getting a triple digit paying job can use a resume company, why can a firefighter use it? Come on...
    The End

Though I agree that it is pretty sad that someone whould have to do that...If the KSA's were discribing his work experiences then there is really nothing wrong with it. If the information contained within them are fabrications then he should be strung up. As for the practice of using "prepared KSA's", it is nothing diffrent then having a resume company arrange your resume for you. And I'll let you in on a little secret...OPM isn't gonna do anything about it because there is a resume company that has a "store" (for a lack of a better word), in the mall at the pentagon who advirtises KSA's. So It a practice that is gonna continue wether people agree with it or not. Peace Brothers.

Forum Member

Default damoneng4

I contacted one of these companies regarding "purchasing" KSAs to see what they were all about. I had no intention of using them. They asked me what the KSAs were for the job, but they didn't ask me what my experience or skills were. I don't understand the point? There is no way that they could accurately represent my abilities and qualifications.
    I hate taking tests as much as the next guy, but I really think the only fair way to measure one's potential as a career firefighter is by offering a skill based examination. After all, we have to take classes or tests to advance in the department anyway. This KSA procedure is unfair and obviously not a true representation of the applicant.
    As far as the business sector using the same type of service, that is true. However, when a business man or woman uses this type of service they are not being hired to save lives. We should be held to a higher standard.

MembersZone Subscriber

A term position is the almost the same as a permenant job except that it will only last 1-4 years. You do get benefits and you can pay into your retirement. I was a hired as a term about a year and a half ago. I re applied once permenant jobs came available. Being a term helped me in a big way getting hired permenant because I had all the certs I needed as far as DoD is concerned (Haz-mat awareness/ops/tech, driver operator pump aerial, EMT). Good luck. Check out Dodfire.com for more info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sparky,

It really depends on how the position is announced. I had our positions announced so that they would be able to "Be converted from Term to Perm without further competition". If you are an Intermittent Firefighter benefits could vary so it is better to ask the Human Resources Office or Civilian Personnel Advisory Center for the information about the announcement.

Thread Information