Thread: Accountability

Question Accountability

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to let me know about your accountability system - I'm working on developing a new one for my department and wanted to see how different departments handle it.

Thank you!

Forum Member

We run a two tag system....One has your number...Mine Being 33..In Every Truck There is a Binder with your name and tag number..You leave that tag in the truck when you arrive...The second says your name and dept on it and that is given to the accountability officer before you enter a structure and given back as soon as you exit..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

We don't use an accountability system.

Forum Member

Doesn't suprise me...Didn't you say y'all drink at the station and your chief was in command of a scene a county or two away..lol..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

There has been lots of detailed threads on accountability, so I would try a search of past threads first.

We bought a three tag system a few years back along with most of our local depts, but it was cumbersome, so we have whittled it down to basically the same two tag system that was just mentioned. The accountability officer has a pre-printed white board for tracking the various teams and SCBA times, and the command officer has another board to track each sector's operations.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Here's One..........................

We use a single tag system. The individual keeps the tag on his coat and clips the tag onto a ring on the apparatus after boarding. At the scene, rings are collected from the apparatus and posted on a board at the Accountability Officer's location. At any time, accountability can do a roll call, and each unit officer must report where his/her people are, and what they are doing. Works reasonably well for us.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Here's One..........................

Originally posted by hwoods
    We use a single tag system. The individual keeps the tag on his coat and clips the tag onto a ring on the apparatus after boarding. At the scene, rings are collected from the apparatus and posted on a board at the Accountability Officer's location. At any time, accountability can do a roll call, and each unit officer must report where his/her people are, and what they are doing. Works reasonably well for us.
    Ditto here. We also have a riding list that gets faxed to Fire Alarm so if anyone's emergency button on their radio gets activated, Fire Alarm can let us know who is in trouble. I also carry a copy of the riding list with me every tour.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

As it is probably the most common method, my company uses a two tag system. One tag stays on the truck and the other stays on the firefighter until they are assigned a job.

I have heard, as mentioned here, a one tag system as well as a 3 tag system. The three tag system has to removal tags and one metal tag attached to your turnout gear, so if god forbid, something happens to you or turnout gear and the other tags are irretrievable, then the gear can be identified by the metal tag.

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Enron Style Accountability

Here we use the 'CTFITBAIDUOTBOYH' System, that would be the 'Cow Tag Flappin In The Breeze As It Dangles Uselessly Off The Back Of Your Helmet' System.

Used throughout the US at many (Not All!!) volunteer and POC departments, it allows the user to customize his style of participation:

Level 1: The - Whats a cowtag level.

Level 2: The - If I stuff it in my pocket, then it'll help identify my still smoking body level.

Level 3: The -Ooohh isn't that pretty hanging back there, like a silent windchime level.

Level 4: The - I'll take it off at the station, that way I won't lose it level.

Level 5: The - I'll take it off in the truck and place it randomly at any point I can reach level.

Level 6: The - I'll take it off in the truck, place it in the appropriate location then leave it there for my duration of membership in the fire department consequently giving the next officer in charge of the truck a squishy moment when the next PAR is called level.

and Finally,

Level 7: The - Perfect, what eveyone says they do do and will do when bought up at any training meeting or post incident discussion level.

Of course I'm level 7
    Last edited by Fawlty; 10-18-2004 at 03:50 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    There has been lots of detailed threads on accountability, so I would try a search of past threads first.
    I must be doing something wrong because I tried search several times. I could never quite find what I was after.

With no budget, I have been creating the most absolute cost efficient tag accountability system. A bunch of colour coded key chains: red for interior; green for exterior. They stay clipped to the jacket until orders are received on scene. Once you know if you are exterior or interior you hand the proper tag to the accountability officer who clips it onto a carabiner attched to a clipboard. Clip board has the entire membership printed on it with spaces for SCBA time in/out, exterior, pump, traffic, etc. Whatever a FF may be assigned to do. The AO checks off the name and job the FF is assigned to.

Since I have never seen a system in place and I have been going on theory, I'm sure this system will evoke comment. Please remember that I have no clue about these things and I am trying to put a few safe-guards in place for "my boys." Point me in the right direction but be gentle with me...

Forum Member

I did a search for "accountability" and came up with 14 pages of results. You should be able to look at the title of the threads to see if they apply............ There was just one not too long ago.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Originally posted by cellblock
    We don't use an accountability system.
    Our Dept. is the same way. All I can do is to present the option and see if I can't get an accountability system in place. I'll probably get some eye-rolling... but then again who knows? The idea just might catch on.

Stay tuned.....

Thread Information