MembersZone Subscriber

Default Extended front Bumper on a KW?

Hey Folks.

We've ordered a new truck, had it all spec'd out and lookin good on Paper - however now that it's being built they relized that because of the design of the hood/bumper/rad all folding forward when opening the hood - they can't put an extended bumper on it like we want, hey have our 150 feet of preconnect in this thing that looks like a toolbox welded to the bumper....

The truck is a 2005 Kenworth T300.

I've seen lots of pictures of KW trucks built by pierce that have extended front bumpers on'em - anyone have pictures of any other T300's done up with one?
    Last edited by ScubaJude; 10-10-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Forum Member

There are a number of KW T300's built by many manufacturers with both a Front Suction and Trashline discharge. Didn't the FD or the builder think of the tilt hood issue before awarding the order. There isn't any difference with the Freightliner or Navistar who I've also seen with these front bumper features.

Who is the builder that doesn't want to or doesn't know how to do it?

Forum Member

Ah, but there is a difference in the KW front bumper mounting than the FL or IHC. The Kenworth front bumper is shock mounted to move with the radiator.

There are two different ways of mounting the extended front bumper on a KW and both cost more than a standard Freighliner or IHC style.

1) Mount a new extension off the sides of the framerails. Requires special engineering from the apparatus builder. This creates a stationary mounted front bumper so the front intake and front discharge work.

2) Order the receiver style of tow eyes and design the front bumper extension to use the receiver tubes. Also requires special apparatus builder engineering. But may cause problems for front intake.

3) They could use Class1 style section of rubber hose for the front suction and discharge so it flexes with the front bumper.

Some of the above options may require the chassis to be ordered with a stationary front grill for clearance as well.

Any reputable manufacturer should be able to mount an extension on a front bumper.

Forum Member

Ah ff43065, correct you are as to the other issues required. I was just making the point that it can be done and can look good with good engineering and be functional with the correct components and design.

MembersZone Subscriber

As was already mentioned the bumper can be done although there may be issues with the plumbing but still doable.

Pumpers

Rescues

Tanker

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Finally, Pierce has a truck uglier than their new quantum

they just had to use a KW cab/chassis to make it possible

I would have to say the KW looks better than any of the others !!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I love how the KW looks.

We're going with a cross pannel console and roll ups. The truck's gonna look GREAT (for lack of the bumper-but hopefuly when they see the 3 dozen pictures of what they say can't be done - they'll do something)

MembersZone Subscriber

Speaking of these model KWs, are they fairly closely related to the medium duty Pete's? I know Paccar owns them both, and find it hard to believe that the corporate parent wouldn't force the two into sharing a common platform.

Reason I ask is that we have a builder very big on the Pete 330 four-door conversion pushing it as their preferred commercial chassis choice. I've driven a demo, and I'm sorry, it doesn't hold a candle to our Spartan chassis units with regards to turn radius (and interior build quality), and I'm not terribly convinced that I want a third-party conversion to do the four-door cab.

Anyone with experience with one of these chassis with a 4-door cab? I've seen pics of the KW conversion to four-door done by Pierce, and the amount of body filler scares me. The Pete may be done a little cleaner, but I still don't necessarily want one in place of a Spartan.

I was told $25K was the cost to upgrade to a comparably powered Spartan chassis. We aren't a poor department, and I think the $25,000 is a small price to pay over the 15 year life of an engine. I'm not saying the KW or Pete is an inferior product, and there is nothing wrong with using a commercial chassis when budget constraints require.

Would love to hear some opinions.

Forum Member

Our Pete's look GREAT with extended front bumpers.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

Maybe I'm just being rude, but can't you just reject the truck if they won't do what you want?

After all, you wrote specs, they agreed to build what you had in the specs, they're now saying they will not comply with the specs. If they won't budge, why not just reject the truck at delivery, and let somebody else build what you really want?

The KW t-300 and the pete are built on the same line in canada. You wouldnt know the differance until they put the body on. The KW should have a factory type 4 door conversion built by Bentz transport products. If you do a search for them you can see it on their website along with an extended cab version. I have looked close at the 4 door conversion from the factory done by Bentz and it was sweet. The kenworth and the pete ride and drive far better any Ford, Freightliner, or International I have driven. As far as comparing a convention to a custom cab is like comparing apples to oranges.

Forum Member

The four door conversion Pierce was doing was there own. They were not using the Bentz conversion. I do not know what they are offering now, but I heard they just ordered their first modification from Bentz on a T800. The Bentz conversion is very nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Aighty folks - 4 week's later it's all good.

Our Cheif & the truck design guy had a lil face to face and they ended up git'n'r'done.

So....Happily....we're getting the truck we had originaly planned on.
    Last edited by ScubaJude; 10-10-2005 at 07:12 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Great to hear. Having been involved at various levels with Apparatus design & purchase (and also being one of the "Rank & File" guys that has to ride them) - I know first hand what headaches it can be to get things exactly like you want them sometimes.

Be sure to post Pic's of the finished product when it get's delivered.
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

I will for sure!

Delivery is tentativly mid January.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well we got it!

Great truck. Worked it's first fire this week too!

2005 Seagrave/Kenworth T300 (with the biggest CAT available)
    1250 GPM Hale
    Foampro 1600
    850G H20 on board
    and an extended bumper that doesn't look like a tool box
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

OOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo Shore is Puurrdy !!

Congrats on a good looking truck there ScubaJude.
    Hope it gives you great service for many years to come.
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

See? It's just that easy. Hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

One question,

Was the unit built in Clintonville, Ontario, or Florida?

MembersZone Subscriber

Captin S - sorry for not replying sooner - it was built in the Ontario plant (about 15miles from here)

Thread Information