Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

We got a second Stihl chainsaw with a depth guide for our second pumper. Local dealer trades the power unit back in after two years at no cost. The first we cought with a bullet chain, the second has a carbide chain in it. They work great and everyone on the department is trained in using them.

Larry's got it about right.GAS AXE(s).And a good selection too."Cept I'd trade the Echo in for a CE.Personal preference on my part but BC Mittendorf has opened more roofs than I've been on and his saw is: A Cutters Edge.And,I might add,he's damn clever with it.Showed me a couple really neat time savers that get you on and off the roof quick.With a nice 4x8(or larger,if you prefer)left behind. T.C.

Forum Member

Default Pop the top and give me da shlt

Take your recip saw and put it in the back of your compartment. Take an axe and saw to the roof. My truck carries a K-1200 with warthog, K-950 with warthog, K-650 with metal/cement blade, cutters edge chain saw. I personally like the cutters edge but it can take a beating cutting our flat roofs that have been re-tared multiple times. Think about cutting 2x6 topped with tar paper topped with 1" tar toped with tin or stone topped with tar paper topped with 1" tar topped with stone. Take an axe to that and youll feel it for days. Cant say enough for the warthog cuts awesome doesnt bind easy as long as your full throttle (you are arent you!). Depending on who works the roof with me you probably will find both the K-1200 and the cutters edge an axe and 6ft Hook. Only draw back to the cutters edge is clean up but it works great on the cornice and barge boards. Since the question was posed, I take an 8lb pick axe to the roof and a 6lb pick axe with halligan when searching and 6lb pick axe and 6ft hook when inside hook.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dpwb22
    I'd hate to be that engine co. waiting for vert-vent in a hotroom while the truck comp. is swinging axes on the roof.
    I've been that engine plenty of times and I love to hear them up there with axes. I'll take a competant truck crew with axes any day. I think the problem is that truck work is a dying art. Its hard, heavy work and consequently I think many are looking for an "easier" way. I think (don't quote me here because I'm not 100% sure) that we use 12lb axes here and the few times I've used them on roofs (I'm on the engine but do get detailed to trucks on occasion) I've never had a problem puching through a roof with an axe. As far as loosing your balance with it, I never swing it above my head, as my academy instructor taught us "We're firemen, not lumberjacks." In my opinion there is no replacement for a good truck co. with axes on a peaked residential roof.

Forum Member

"We're firemen, not lumberjacks."

Funny thing, I was told the same thing in the academy during truck company classes. Head level controlled swings are more effective than swinging away with hopes of hitting the right spot. Chop, chop, chop. My local doesnt have many peaked roofs. The only one I have been on recently I used the axe opened a nice 4 x 6 hole. As a truckie the only time I dont carry an axe is when im the up and over guy....responsible for second floor windows from the roof and helping the roof guy open'er up. But still take a saw. Better to have 2 saws and an axe on the roof.

Forum Member

That's similar to what I've heard green deckhands say when I tried showing them how to clout a pelican hook to turn barges loose from a tow.
    Some folks you can't tell a working solution because the "new way"they want to use has already been tried and left at the wharf but there it is.

DH,not being a wharf rat,does that mean you be on the saw or the axe side of the fence(er roof)?Saw on a pitched roof? Every chance we get.Damn few flat roofs in this town unless they're industrial.T.C.

Forum Member

Default Recip saw

For what it is worth I have run alot of cordless tools and there is no way I would take a cordless sawzall on the roof to vent. The batteries just will not hold up you will have to make blade changes, what a pain. Stick to the ax, and if you cant run an ax learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Using the resip saw to open a roof is somewhat time consuming. I have tried them on the training ground and the K-12 and or Chainsaw blows the doors of it everytime. But iina small department that cant spend the money on a good K-12 or chainsaw then I can see someone using it.

We do use the resip saw on our RIT team. Its proved its self many times during training on aluminum studs, dry wall, especially the construction used in hotels. (Sound Proof Construction) dougle everything!

Forum Member

I was responding to ChicagoFF's post about not being lumberjacks.
    I've had a few green deckhands swing at a pelican hook like it was a golf ball and wonder why it didn't pop off like it does when I take a short backswing and lay into it hard,twisting at the waist.
    My department doesn't go on roofs if the fire's been going more than 5 minutes.All we know is how long it took to get there,right?
    If we should have a need to open a roof,we reach for the Stihl saws in the trucks and if they can't get started,then we would use the axe.
    BTW,we do have a couple lumberjacks on my department.They're just itching to use those skills on a fireground.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    DH,not being a wharf rat,does that mean you be on the saw or the axe side of the fence(er roof)?Saw on a pitched roof? Every chance we get.Damn few flat roofs in this town unless they're industrial.T.C.

Thread Information