Thread: Bus Crash

Forum Member

Default Bus Crash

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=35912

this is a prime example of where MABAS would come in handy....we were not involved because we do not run ems....But we have joined MABAS...but many of the local EMS departments have not as of yet....my pack woke me up with the tone outs...had every ambulance unit in williamson county out there and called more in from Jackson, Franklin and Johnson counties....most were transmitting on Coalbelt frequency...dispatchers were scrambling to tone out first responders to cover each side of the county for other calls

I think had all the units been on one of the MABAS channels u would have had alot less confusion and information would not have been repeated many times.....maybe this is a wake up call for the area and shows the REAL need for good communication between fire, ems and law enforcement

I think some departments here think "come on this is Southern Illinois nothing happens here" but in the blink of a eye that can change at any given moment

just my .02
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Mike, while I couldn't hear both sides at my house, it sounded like a mess. I know that 25 minutes after the initial page for EMS the state police still did not know for sure where the wreck was at. And an hour + after, ambulances were looking for a staging area and there was none set up. They may not have needed one and used every ambulance available as soon as they rolled up. There's not a whole lot of them available in the area. There was a bad lack of communications. Just lucky nobody died.
    Didn't it end up being in Lake of Egypt's district? That'd make Stan in charge and he should have been able to keep the scene itself going pretty well.
    It happened right at midnight, 1:15 AM I was still listening to it. I need a nap.
    Last edited by jboczek; 10-18-2004 at 12:37 PM.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Yes it was the lake's area and stan was in command...i understand that it was first reported as a semi rollover....stan did a great job controlling the scene from what I heard....especially with the lack of communication he was dealing with.....very lucky no one was killed and I understand it was mostly kids on the bus with a few parents.....they sent a bus from st louis to get the ones who could continue one and they opened the senior center for them to wait for it...i was up til about 1:45 listening i could use a nap too LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

It was originally paged as a semi roll over at about the 53, then somebody said the 55. The first responding unit couldn't find it, ISP said one report was that it was in the ditch, another said in the trees, somebody was turning around and going back the other direction to look at that side better. At least somebody thought to go farther and it was finally found at the 50. I know that about 1AM, an hour after the accident was first paged out, a dept. offered some more backboards and loaded up some to take out.
    Lake Egypt is in MABAS and Stan teaches IC so there should have been lots of planning already done. That probably helped.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information