1 12.50%
  • Don't worry about it

0 0%
  • Don't care

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question EMT Basic or Paramedic?????

I am starting to look for jobs but not sure if my EMTB will cut it. Should I get on a waiting list for Paramedic just incase I don't get a job right away or should I wait and see what comes up??????????

Bob, there have been a few discussions of a similar topic (I don't have the links available for you), and the general consensus is this: Paramedic is an exhausting program that is not for everyone, and it takes someone who REALLY wants to do the job, not just have it like another fire class. This isn't HazMat or High-angle rescue training... this is a career in itself that might buy you more time on the bus than a fire truck, at least in the first half of your 20 year career. Do paramedic because you want to be a medic, not to be a firefighter. I, like many here, thoroughly enjoy both sides of it. Yes, I take the meat wagon more frequently than the BRT, but that's a choice I made & I'm ok with it. Good luck with the decision, and let us know how things go!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thank you for your input. that is what I was really looking for. I know what you mean about it is another job not just another class. I will let you know what I come up with.

Bob,
    I am in Paramedic school right now and I must tell you that you will never make it a month if you are not sure being a medic is what you want. It is a tightly packed program that leaves you sleep deprived and in a constant state of learning overload. If you are already on a station, take some time to feel out if the medical side is what you enjoy. If you aren't on a crew, volunteer as an EMT and see how you like it that way. You will get paid as a volunteer and it is a good way to get some experience. Good luck!

Thread Information