Thread: firefighter1 &2

Default firefighter1 &2

Hi everyone. I am a MOD firefighter in yorkshire,Britian but we are governed by USAF and have an american firechief. In the near future the training is changing and we all must have the firefighter1 and 2 qualification. Could anyone steer me in the right direction to what books and study packs I would need as I am wanting to start as soon as possible. Look forward to hearing from you all. Thankyou

Forum Member

Essentials of Firefighting would be a good start, however you really need to be enrolled in a Firefighter I and Firefighter II class so you can get the pratical applications, such as vehicle fires, flamible gas fires, flamible liquid fires, and structure fires.

The book will teach you the info of what you need to know, actually doing it will prepare you for the real world
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

The Essentials book is a good read, and I'm sure there are others out there. The NH Fire Academy provided us with the book, and someone gave me the workbook besides. It's not bad to read it for background knowledge. You probably know many of the things already from time on the trucks. Best of luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Essential is key. My friend just took FFI and he said thats what the test is based on. Some of the others, such as Firefighters Handbook are OK, but Essentials are the best. The best would be to enroll in the class.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA also came out with a book now, basically Essentials of Firefighting 4th edition, Delmars Firefighter Handbook, and the NFPA book have the same info. Most of it from what I have seen is the wording of the info. I would stick with the IFSTA Essentials 4 with the student applications pack (20 or so workbooks and the firefighter 2workbook).

I would definitly go with the Essentials of Firefighting book. If you read that before or during your Fire 1 calss then you should be just fine.

Forum Member

Delboy, try this link to IFSTA. THey publish the FF1 and 2 manuals along with a ton of other great publications.

http://www.ifsta.org/

Good luck in your learning!
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State University: Stillwater, OK

Default FFI/FFII

Dellboy:

I am currently a Senior in the Fire Protection and Safety Engineering Program at Oklahoma State University, home of IFSTA and FPP. These are the two organizations that are responsible for the production of the Essentials that everyone else has mentioned. These are the books that are going to be needed in order for you to successfully obtain your FFI/FFII certifications. Let me know if I can help with anything. Good Luck!

Thread Information