Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Storz couplings problems

Has anyone had problems with Storz couplings from different manufacturers being incompatible or really hard to couple?

We have two different brands of hose and a different brand of adapters that are extremely hard to couple and uncouple even after lubrication even though all are the Storz and are the same size.
    Lt. Dan

Forum Member

I've been working for a hose testing company for a couple years now, and I've come across some pretty hard to un-couple / couple Storz in that time. I've never come across any that are incompatable, as it usually comes down to simple maintance. Washing the darn things in soap and water, or at the very least running it thru a hose washer, works wonders. And I'm not talking just when you do the annual pressure test (you DO test, don't you?) but every time they happen to get nasty. Check for burrs, keep them clean, and replace the gaskets. I will say that the most recent agency we tested had 4" that had "Made in Germany" stickers on the couplings, and my knuckles still hurt from smashing them into the ground.

Oh yeah, by the way...exactly how old is this hose we're talking about anyways?

Forum Member

Most of this hose is less than two years old as well as the adapters. They will couple together but it is extremely hard to do.

The adapters are Harrington brand, the hose is Angus and the valve is Elkhart.
    Lt. Dan

Default stortz

LT.,
    The same thing happens in my Department. Alot of our stortz have locks on the side which makes it even harder to uncouple. No clue why it is so hard, but we lubricate them and everything and nothing seems to work. Good luck with yours.

We too have had trouble connecting 5" stortz to piston intake valves. We then noted the thickness of the gasket, seems our piston intake may have a pressure gasket OR a suction gasket. The suction gasket is thicker, this really doesn't require close attention to notice it once you know what to look for.
    You may have a mixture of these gaskets on your hose.

The piston intake is Elkhart and hose is Red Head.

Hope this helps.

We purchased 2000' of Angus 5" LDH with Storz couplings a little over two years ago. Over the last 6 months or so, we have had problems with the couplings slipping down the hose. The Angus rep said it was a defect and they sent us all new couplings. If you have any newer Angus hose and are having problems you may want to contact them.

Dave

Our older 5" is hard to couple/uncouple sometimes...... However, we got some newer hose with the locking Stortz and alternated between locking section and unlocking section and it seems to have solved our problem. The newest truck with all new 5" has no problems coupling/uncoupling with all locking sections.........

We occassionally have trouble with our older 4" (that is soon to be replaced so we will all have 5"), it is Angus Hi-Vol, with no locks and sometimes by the actual use under pressure some lengths may need spanners. The 5' in failry new and has the locks and as far as I know it has been hassle free.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I've had the same trouble with gaskets. Was an easy fix once we figured out the problem.

We usually have at least one BFG per station to put some *** on the spanner when the storz disagree.

Thread Information