Forum Member

Default Overturned van trailer onto an auto

During a BIG RIG RESCUE course folks were faced with an overturned van trlr. onto an auto. The team attempted stabilizing the trlr. using a 6x6 header and struts, with the base of the struts restrained. During the process a magnetic protractor was used to measure the trailer's movement. With a change of only 1 degree the struts loosened. A redundant means of stabilization was provided with a heavy recovery vehicle at the same time as the initial struts, simply for safety. The movement was a result of removing parts of the auto for extrication. No one noticed any movement during the process. This only reiterates the need for continued stabilization of vehicles involved in collisions. Be safe and check your stabilization methods often.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

I do love the box vs auto drills.Very likely scenerio and easy to do once trained.What would you think about tensioning the crossbeam with an airbag PRIOR to any cutting.Would that help remove the inherent slack produced by standard cribbing ops?You know my solution,but lets see if we can gather other opinion.Did you get a chance at the week long to gather any other dyno information? T.C.

FIGJAM

Interesting note BigRig.

I think a lot of people loose sight of the importance of rechecking stabilization at an MVA.

Move metal, check stabilisation, etc.

From our end of the world, we're often the last to arrive, so potentially you have 2 ambo's working on a casualty in the car. Rescue comes along and stabilizes but all it takes is one ambo to step out to grab something from their rig and it's all changed. Same applies for metal movement.

Any photos?
    Luke

Forum Member

A key to any cribbing ops is to keep it tight, reducing any movement as much as possible. This is especially important when dealing with the weight of big rigs.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Thread Information