MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by kentbwj
    Rioters should be shot. Period. We've gotten way too soft in this country. No way should throwing rocks at first responders be tolerated.

As to why they're rioting-probably time for some new appliances and other merchandise.

Please stay safe, FDNY and NYPD.
    Do you suppose you are over-reacting just a tad?

Rioters are breaking the law. There is usually alcohol involved. They commit ancillary crimes like agg. assault on public safety personnel. They often cause injuries.

But shot? We don't shoot people who shoot people.

Forum Member

Default reported

just like to know where this is coming from because as of this post there is nothing localy on tv, radio or 'net about any of the info in the first thread

stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

But shot? We don't shoot people who shoot people.

Well, maybe we should. They'd be much less likely to reoffend.

Forum Member

Default Re: reported

Originally posted by jensam433
    just like to know where this is coming from because as of this post there is nothing localy on tv, radio or 'net about any of the info in the first thread

stay safe
    From 17 hours ago
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: reported

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    From 17 hours ago

17 hours doesnt tell me the source of the original report.
    Like I said earlier there are no reports in any of the NYC media (unlike the death in Boston which is an AP story)
    As we all know anyone can say anything on the net but facts are facts and there is nothing of significance being reported from NYC.

MembersZone Subscriber

It doesn't surprise me much that you are not seeing much news coverage of the post-game revelry, especially if there have not been any deaths or other "newsworthy" events. I would not necessarily assume it was a riot, just the unfortunate after-effects of large sporting events mixed with alcohol consumption.

I was attending College in Toronto for the Jay's 94 World Series win, and I partied all night long on Younge Street with well over a half-million partiers. I saw three destroyed taxi cabs, and one destroyed streetcar along with many broken windows and other vandalism. I thought it was insane at the time, and bordering on a riot, but it didn't receive any news coverage at all. In fact, early in the evening while I was still somewhat sober, I stopped to talk with a couple of Toronto Metro Police who were monitoring activities from the intersection of a side street, and they simply said, "No big deal, this always happens after a big event like this. We just try to pick out the worst trouble makers and stay out of the way"

The difference between a riot and a big street party can be a fine line sometimes. As those officers told me, sometimes you just have to keep your head down and stay out of the way until it blows over.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

What dennis the mennace said a few posts back is actualy true, the fans suck, what a bunch of pathetic sore loosers. I hope they all get thrown in jail and have to pay for their stupity. I hope those people know that if they throw stuff at cops and hurt them, the solid steel battons will make contact with their thick skulls. Also if anyone dies (innocently) due to these riots and can be connected to the riot-goer, maybe 50-life would be a nice end.

Stay safe and I hope these idiots get the full force of the law thrown at them. Dont make crap like this up.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CollegeBuff

You're right, FFFRED made the whole thing up.
    Yeah. He has no way of knowing what was going on in NYC, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't heard of any riots in NY, at all. Can anyone name a source of the story or post the articles? I am sure there were some roudy fans after the game who might have stirred up some trouble but the type of riots spoken about here would not be generated in this city for a baseball game. Boston on the other hand had to deal with a much more volitile crowd and even suffered a unfortunate death from a rubber bullet as the police tried to break up the crowd.
    Lets face it, this was an emotionally charges series that has had bad feelings festering since 1918 but it's not an isolated incident since this kind of nonsense happens at most big sporting events around the world and not just here. The bottom line here is this-It's over lets move on.
    "Never trust a smiling dog"
    Delaware F.O.O.L. FTM-PTB-EGH

Forum Member

Originally posted by Smokeetr4
    I haven't heard of any riots in NY, at all. Can anyone name a source of the story or post the articles? I am sure there were some roudy fans after the game who might have stirred up some trouble but the type of riots spoken about here would not be generated in this city for a baseball game. Boston on the other hand had to deal with a much more volitile crowd and even suffered a unfortunate death from a rubber bullet as the police tried to break up the crowd.
    Lets face it, this was an emotionally charges series that has had bad feelings festering since 1918 but it's not an isolated incident since this kind of nonsense happens at most big sporting events around the world and not just here. The bottom line here is this-It's over lets move on.
    Here is Fred's original post. My guess is that Fred was LISTENING as it happened, based on how his post is written. Then again, maybe CB is right, he made it up and the Red Sox didn't actually win.

Originally posted by FFFRED
    Companies are responding to numerous rubbish, auto fires in Harlem, Washington Heights, Inwood & the South Bronx.

Numerous shots fired in area. NYPD is reporting riots have broke out.

Ladder Co. 45 was pellted by bottles thrown from civilians at one box.

Many companies are letting the fires burn as there are large groups of rowdy people keeping them from the area.

Companies are traveling fire to fire extinguishing what they can.

Now a box in Little Italy reporting rubbish extending to scafolding on a building.

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

Yeah. He has no way of knowing what was going on in NYC, right?

I dont know where FFFRED is posting from George but you and I have the same LE background and reside in the lovely tristate area, both know how much the local media jumps on stories of civil unrest and mahem, and that being said & me with way too much time on my hands still dont know where these stories are coming from.
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

Forum Member

Originally posted by jensam433

I dont know where FFFRED is posting from George but you and I have the same LE background and reside in the lovely tristate area,

Well...it is true.....My best friend is a FF in 95 Engine....they were running all night....car fires, rubbish fires...etc......and the media doesn't jump on everything that happens in NYC. I have been on many incidents that never made the news......and I not only worked in NYC but I live in Bayridge, Brooklyn.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default if you think upper manhattan was bad....

just wait till the boston mayor bans alcohol during the world Series games!!!

Boston mayor weighs alcohol limits after death
    Greg Sukiennik / Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) - Mayor Thomas Menino said he was considering banning alcohol sales near Fenway Park during the World Series, following rowdy celebrations of the Red Sox's league championship that turned deadly when a police officer shot a projectile into a crowd.

Menino planned to meet with bar and nightclub owners Friday and also said he would press colleges to expel students found guilty of criminal conduct in the melee.

"Since people won't accept responsibility, I, as mayor, will take it into my own hands," Menino said.

Emerson College student Victoria Snelgrove, 21, died Thursday, hours after being hit in the eye with what was designed to be a non-lethal projectile that would douse the target with a pepper-like spray. Her father expressed outrage at the city's response to her death.

Witnesses said Snelgrove was standing outside the ballpark when a reveler threw a bottle at a mounted police officer. Another officer fired the plastic, pepper-spray filled balls into the crowd, hitting Snelgrove.

Fifteen other people, including a police officer, suffered minor injuries in Boston's Kenmore Square neighborhood near Fenway Park after thousands of baseball fans spilled onto the streets to celebrate the Red Sox triumph Wednesday night at New York's Yankee Stadium. Small fires were set and fights broke out. Boston police reported eight arrests, mostly for disorderly conduct.

Menino said that to avoid a repeat of the rowdiness in his city, he was considering imposing the alcohol-sales ban through a state law never before used in Boston. The law lets him ban sale or distribution of alcohol "in cases of riot or great public excitement."

He said he may also ask bar and restaurant operators not to let television stations broadcast live scenes from inside their establishments during games, as at least one station did Wednesday.

Peter Martineau, manager of Boston Beer Works, across from Fenway Park, expressed sympathy for Snelgrove's family but blamed area college students for causing the problems.

"They all want to come out to the Fenway for the excitement," he said. "I don't think the remedy is banning bars and restaurants from serving liquor. If you can't serve beer or anything, why would people come out? It's a beer works."

Officials said the projectiles are not supposed to be aimed at people's faces, and Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole said she would "firmly and emphatically accept responsibilities for any errors."

But, she continued, "I also condemn in the harshest words possible the actions of the punks (Wednesday) night who turned our city's victory into an opportunity for violence and mindless destruction."

The student's father, Rick Snelgrove, said angrily that she did nothing wrong. Standing outside the family home, he held up a photograph of his smiling daughter.

"What happened to her should not happen to any American citizen going to any type of game, no matter what," he said. "She loved the Red Sox. She went in to celebrate with friends. She was a bystander. She was out of the way, but she still got shot. Awful things happen to good people. My daughter was an exceptional person."

City officials had announced there would be a heavy police presence in Kenmore Square for the history-making victory by the Red Sox, who came back from 3 games to zero deficit to advance to the World Series.

The city had been caught understaffed when riots broke out after the New England Patriots' Super Bowl win Feb. 1, when one person was killed and another critically injured by a vehicle that plowed into revelers.

see, this is what happens when a team not used to winning actually does something impressive. their fans go abosolutely nuts!!!
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by VinnieB

Well...it is true.....My best friend is a FF in 95 Engine....they were running all night....car fires, rubbish fires...etc......and the media doesn't jump on everything that happens in NYC. I have been on many incidents that never made the news......and I not only worked in NYC but I live in Bayridge, Brooklyn.
    My post was sarcastic in nature. I know that FFRED is a FDNY member and I am certain that he was listening to this unrest unfold as it happened. It is somewhat surprising that the press has not jumped on it, but I assume that they did not make a connection since it sounds like the unrest occurred over a pretty large area. I have no doubt that that what FFRED was listening to was bad and sounded like it was getting worse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow did I miss some chatting while at work.

Yes I was sitting at home (in Brooklyn) watching the disaster unfold(Yankees Losing their a@# to the Red Sox) when after the end of the game I thought it would be interesting to see what was happening in Manhattan on the Boro radio. Well as it turns out I heard all the transmissions first hand while listening to the scanner.

Some reasons why the news probably didn't really cover it. Who knows? However I've worked in those neighborhoods and if 12 firemen in a Truck & Engine won't stop at a fire for safety reasons, how interested do you think some dainty little blonde news reporter is on covering such a disturbance close up. Especially when the cops didn't even have control over the neighborhood for quite some time.

Everyone has seen what happens when a news camera puts on its light a night with a rowdy crowd of delinquents nearby...its like mosquitos to a lamp. Not a good Idea.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default Re: if you think upper manhattan was bad....

Originally posted by DrParasite

see, this is what happens when a team not used to winning actually does something impressive. their fans go abosolutely nuts!!!
    So you can explain the New York reaction how?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a question....

This is what happens when the Sox win the ALCS pennant.

What happens, if, God forbid, the Sox win the World Series? *

I work in Law Enforcement a few mile from the University of Vermont, and had a hand in breaking up the students rioting there.

-H

* - Disclaimer - I've been a Sox fan since I was a wee one. I want to see them win as bad as any Sox fan. I was in college when they lost game 7 to the Mets, and watched a Coke machine soar out of the fourth floor window of the dorm I was living in. Odd sight to see when you're in the second floor common room!

[EDIT - oops, spelling!]
    Last edited by Heretic; 10-22-2004 at 10:45 PM.
    "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
    Lieutenant
    Vermont

Forum Member

Schill said it best in his message to the fans.....

"Remember, it's only baseball"

Forum Member

Angry

Originally posted by kentbwj
    Rioters should be shot. Period. We've gotten way too soft in this country. No way should throwing rocks at first responders be tolerated.

As to why they're rioting-probably time for some new appliances and other merchandise.

Please stay safe, FDNY and NYPD.
    My son, a junior at UMass Dartmouth was hit on his right hand by a "non lethal projectile" while following police instructions to disperse.

He was not "rioting". He was not intoxicated. He was not acting like an @$$hole. He called me from the quad on his cell phone. What I heard was a celebration of the Red Sox win, not a freakin' riot.

What was intersting was that the police at the UMass incident told the students to disperse, yet the same police units would not allow them to re-enter their dorms. My question is why?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

My question is why?
    My guess would be:

1. Poor command
    2. Poor leadership
    3. Poor communications

Forum Member

Wow......... How did I miss all this??????

Forum Member

Originally posted by FFFRED
    Wow did I miss some chatting while at work.

However I've worked in those neighborhoods and if 12 firemen in a Truck & Engine won't stop at a fire for safety reasons, how interested do you think some dainty little blonde news reporter is on covering such a disturbance close up.
    HA!....No Kidding!...Can you imagine that news bunny from FOX, Andrea Day in the middle of a disturbance in Washington Heights?!?!....They would treat her worse that the broads at the Puerto Rican Day Parade a few years ago!
    IACOJ Member

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Yankees Suck, and it seems their fans do to!
    Dennis, we will be back and reloaded in 05. Then we will see who sucks.

Forum Member

Yes, HFD66Truck, Schill may have said:
    "Remember, it's only Baseball",
    but Dennis Miller said it better when he said:
    "...And my thoughts on Baseball ? Well, maybe they should have a FOOTBALL game going on in left field. You know, just a little something to keep the fans interested. Especially during Coach's long, slow walks to the mound, and all the nodding and finger pointing."
    Maybe that's why all the unrest - too much pent up energy to burn - pennant race or not, it's still kind of a slow game.
    That's just an opinion - Don't throw nothin' at me !!!
    Anyways, hope everything turned out Ok in the Borough for those that had to be there. Regards,

Pat

Forum Member

There were no riots in NYC.Do you really think the news would not report on something like this.

Thread Information