Thread: MSA vs Scott

Forum Member

Default MSA vs Scott

My department is in the process of ordering new SCBA. We have narrowed it down to the above two. We have not decieded on opitions though. Any advice good or bad on either manufacture. Only thing I know for sure is they will be high pressure 4500psi. Thanks.

Tallmadge Fire
    Local 2764
    Last edited by TFDNICK; 10-24-2004 at 08:30 AM.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I do beleive that if you did a search, using the search button to the left, you will find that this has already been talked to death.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I've used both and they are both good packs, I think you will be happy with either one.

One advantage of the MSA is they invented the NFPA quick fill fitting used on RIC packs, as a result MSA's can quick fill pack to pack while other manufacturers can only fill from a RIC pack (or so the salesman claimed), don't know how much of an advantage this actually is but in theory any FF could do the job the RIC pack does.

My personal opinion favors the Scott but that is mostly familiarity, I've used it more so I'm more comfortable with it, I wouldn't be complaining if we went to MSA's though.

The voice amplifier on the Scott's work very well (9v battery powered) I would really consider getting them for your packs, we didn't have these on the MSA so don't know how they compare.

Some things to consider if you haven't already
    Check to see how available customer service is in your area
    What are nearby departments using (compatability and training issues)
    Look at the availability (and price) of accessaries
    Did you use either brand before, will your existing tools, parts etc work on the new packs

Finally have some firefighters use both in realistic situations and see which one they like better

I think you will be happy whichever way you go, both are good units in my experience

MembersZone Subscriber

The Scott SCBA's can now share air from pack to pack using the buddy breathing system. They also sell a FAST\RIT set up with a larger bottle and many options to hook up with a downed firefighter. As mentioned above, check witht he departments around you. In my area, here on Long Island in New York, we have many small departments that cover anywhere from 1 sq mile to anywhere around 14 sq miles. We are frequently called to other towns for mutual aids. It helps having compatible SCBA systems, especially when you're called for a FAS team request. In my county, about 68 FDs use Scott. One uses MSA and one uses Interspiro.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Permanently Removed

Default Easy one...

Sir- This is a very easy answer. If youre ever, EVER going to
    trust me on this one...Scott, hands down. They are the
    Firefighter's SCBA. Easy to use. Clean, fucntionable and simple.

You will get your money's worth, plus.

Forum Member

I have worked with both, and as others have said both are good. FOr me, I would have to go with MSA. I have used these the most and am the most comfortable with them. I like their set up better too.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept uses the MSA's...I must say they work great. We have had no problems whatsoever..With all the steel mills in the area MSA is very popular, easily serviced, and is compatible with most other depts.

I was on a volly dept. over 12 years ago and we had the Scott 4.5's. The were great too!

I havent worn a Scott in a very long time, but I can vouch very highly for the MSA's

Forum Member

One thing to think about, the scotts and the MSA's arent really big guy friendly. We use dragers and those fit me well.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Permanently Removed

Default Proof...

Look at FDNY's Scotts. They literally put them thrugh hell
    and back. And they still keep working. Scott is the leader.
    I dont f-around when it comes to SCBAs. I want the best.
    Go with Scott. They are the leaders and have been copied
    for a reason.

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I was told by one of the instructors at the fire academy, was that MSA, on a national level, is the most used SCBA.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Permanently Removed

Default Oh...

Oh, well if you heard it from some guy at an acedemy,
    then it must be the way to go then.

MembersZone Subscriber

From all of the industry news and such that have read it is actualy Drager that is the biggest SCBA manufacturer in the world, and they also happen to be the very first to build SCBAs. Drager has tons of breathing apparatus experience, not only from fire service but SCUBA as well. Navy SEALS use Drager rebreathers and such.

Drager is also noted for being the best pack for extream cold conditions. IIRC the majority of Alaska FDs have drager. You can freeze the regulator in ice and it will still give you some air.

In the US I thought Scott had the majority market share...

Unless something has changed.

We have Drager PSS 100s with sentinal and they are incredible. We used to have Scott AP 2, yes ancient, and MSA Ultralite 2s. We replaced those with the Dragers last year thanks to FEMA grant.

I think the MSA, Drager, and Scott are all brands you cant go wrong with.

While I like the ISI Viking, it does seem to have quality concerns, but I like the concepts and design of the pack.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

dazed and confused

Default Re: Oh...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    Oh, well if you heard it from some guy at an acedemy,
    then it must be the way to go then.
    Like Bou said, Scott SCBA and leather helmets are the only way to go.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Permanently Removed

Default LOL...

LOL...That was funny. The first half was correct. Scotts baby!
    As for the leathers, been there, done that, no one cared and
    no thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll second the notion on the ISI Viking. Functionally, as far as user-friendly, this pack had a lot of people on my department liking it. However, there was also a lot said about failures and similar issues that needed to be addressed before they would be considered for our purchase.

Anyone know if some of the ISI failures (o-rings, etc.) have been taken care of?

Does anyone use CairnsAir? Now THAT was unique... Something about that pack just didn't work for all of us that tried it.

dazed and confused

Default Re: LOL...

LOL...That was funny. The first half was correct.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

Yo...when it comes to SCBAs, they are all pretty expensive.
    Some people dont go with the costs because of cost. This is
    understandable.

But...Do you want your people breathing "low bid" air???

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Yo...

Yo...when it comes to SCBAs, they are all pretty expensive.
    Some people dont go with the costs because of cost. This is
    understandable.

But...Do you want your people breathing "low bid" air???
    "low bid" air is better then no air if thats all you can afford.

Some FDs dont have the money to buy cadilacs, hell, some cant even buy Geo Metros.

Any SCBA is preferable to no SCBA.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

Drager is also noted for being the best pack for extream cold conditions. IIRC the majority of Alaska FDs have drager. You can freeze the regulator in ice and it will still give you some air.

Anchorage uses Drager. The entire Mat-Su Borough uses MSA and I think Fairbanks does too. The other departments around Fairbanks that I've seen use Scott or MSA. The USAF base have Interspiro, I think (standard USAF chem-warfare compatable stuff, although Clear is looking at going with Scott).
    I have frozen up MSAs before, both BMRs and MMRs, but only after using them and setting them down for a while.

Forum Member

Default Another viewpoint...

The good thing about the MSAs is that if the crew the shift before uses the packs, and one of them has a cold, or some other form of illness, there is a lesser chance of it passing on to you due to the one way valve being in the mask. With the SCOTT if you sneeze, cough, etc, into the mask it goes directly into the regulator...
    Driver/Engineer/EMT
    Walton County Fire Rescue
    Walton County Georgia
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Another viewpoint...

Originally posted by KParker
    The good thing about the MSAs is that if the crew the shift before uses the packs, and one of them has a cold, or some other form of illness, there is a lesser chance of it passing on to you due to the one way valve being in the mask. With the SCOTT if you sneeze, cough, etc, into the mask it goes directly into the regulator...
    Thus claimith the MSA salesmen who are VERY short of selling points vs Scott.

I cleaned 3 MSA and 3 Scott a few days ago after we destroyed them in a grain bin fire. MSA face piece is a pain in the rear to clean which means they don't get cleaned as often or as well.

Forum Member

We have ISI vickings. They seem to be pretty good, can "buddy breath" with them. They also have built in mics into the PASS and you can get them with an adapter to hook to the radio. They have flashing beacons also to show if a f/f is face down.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firefighterox
    We have ISI vickings. They seem to be pretty good, can "buddy breath" with them. They also have built in mics into the PASS and you can get them with an adapter to hook to the radio. They have flashing beacons also to show if a f/f is face down.
    Have you had any problems with:

- Electronics in general, battery box not water proof, interfearance from radio, scratchy voice amp

- Water freezing in weird places stopping the low air whistle, the fresh air gate, etc...

- Regulators breaking in the face piece

- Regulators making funny sounds when in hot environments

Forum Member

Samson,You know this pack!Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

we havent had them all that long yet. like i said they seem to work pretty good. most of the neighboring depts have the same. we did have a fire before we got them, but a different dept had them, that the only problem was they forgot to shut off the regulator to the bottle so the pass wouldn't shut off and it just went off for hours and hours.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information