Forum Member

Default Oral Board Questions

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing with a couple departments and was going over some of the traditional questions that we all expect (courtesy of CaptBob... thank you!). My question to you all is have you experienced questions that threw you for a loop or you just really weren't expecting? I realize almost anything goes with this process, and I've been a little surprised before with personal questions like "How old are you? Are you married? Seeing someone steady? How does she feel about you being in the fire service?" I paused for a second as I realized these things probably shouldn't have been asked, but how much of a team player would I be if I didn't make good conversation with the chief and answer everything best I could? So your thoughts here are appreciated, and it should make for a great discussion too. Take care, and have a fantastic weekend!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Default keep it professional

I have intervieved for two full time departments, and quite frankly, as much as I wanted to carry on a casual conversation with the interview chief, I bit my lip because I didn't want the chief to be comfortable with my personal demeanor at that time, I wanted the chief to be comfortable with my qualifications and experience.

Stay safe

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

Kevin- I would suggest calling Capt. Bob on his toll-free #
    to cover some bases. He is easy to chat with.

If you want, we can talk on the phone too. I am sure I might
    be able to help some.

-Bou

Forum Member

Default Frozen

Kevin:

Call me an we can kick some things around.

taj421 wrote:

I bit my lip because I didn't want the chief to be comfortable with my personal demeanor at that time, I wanted the chief to be comfortable with my qualifications and experience.
    With all do respect to taj421, as Dr. Phil says, "Hows that working for you?"

The toughest thing for candidates to do is be themselves on purpose conversationly. There is an army out there with education and experience. What the chief is trying to find out is how are you going to fit their department culture? How can he find out if you're a frozen statue in the chair?

Think about it? It's all about presentation skills. Candidates roll through and are frozen in the chair. Then one candidate comes in an establishes a natural bridge with conversation, his enthusiastic personality opens up that expands the demension of the questions, answers and personlized stories that demonstrate education and experience during the interview. Who would you like? It's human nature.

I starting talking to a candidate named David a few months ago and he clinched his fists on top of his legs frozen. I asked him what he was doing? He said, "They" said this is what you're supposed to do in the interview. Where is that written? Who are "They?" Seems like almost everyone becomes an expert. I have been looking for "They" for 30 years and have yet to find them.

Stanford University did a study that revealed that 85% of getting a job has to do with your enthusiasm. How can you be enthusiastic if you're a frozen statue in a chair.

Here's the same candidate David this week:

Cpt. Bob,
    I have been looking forward to writing you this thank you letter. Its 0515hrs here in California on Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to work. Today is my first day at my dream Department right here where I live in Central Ca. I always knew that I had what it took to become a firefighter, but I learned to convince employers that I could contribute. You were right the whole time. The oral interview is everything. Trust me. This is the question I never wanted to ask myself. Did you do everything possible to get your badge? A lot of hard work and some help from people that have done this many many times before will make the odds in your favor. Good luck to everyone out there. There is no greater feeling than the anticipation of your first morning at work, and I wish it upon all of you.

David

Many believe it takes quite a while to get firmly entrenched in the testing process and get a solid presentation going. Thatís only if you donít have the skills to know what youíre doing.

This was Davidís first test. He placed in the top 5 on his second test for the class one department in the central valley. Yea, that one. He turned down that job offer because he had the job of his dreams. Oh, he's an EMT in his early 20's.

David wrote:

This is the question I never wanted to ask myself. Did you do everything possible to get your badge?

He doesn't have to ask anymore.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter
    http://eatstress.com/goldpackage.htm

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Permanently Removed

Default So...

Bro- Did you call Bob? Please tell me you did. I also never
    heard back from you. I might be able to help. I have been a
    Candidate on probably 20-30 oral boards and learned a few
    things.