Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rope needs?

Default Rope needs?

Iam looking at getting our department equiped with some decent rope and accesories. Iam looking for some advice or suggestions on what my "wish list" look like. What do i need? what is optional?

Forum Member

This will depend on the type and size of calls you may respond to. My team has a couple 650ft lengths of rope for the taller buildings in town.

I would suggest that you take a rope rescue course to gain a better understanding of what can be involved and then purchase the equipment.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

randell,
    If you E-mail me I have a list of equipment that I can send you. It is very basic. My E-mail address is: Dave@techtrngsols.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Randell; I can't emphasize enough how important getting adequate training is to your safety as well as your patients (victims) safety. When you have a two person rescue load suspended 20 feet off the bottom of a petrolium storage tank you don't want to realize that your equipment or methods are flawed.

That being said, I have worked on a list of very basic equipment to facilitate simple confined space and/or high angle rescue needs. This doesn't include respiratory protection, other PPE, or air quality instruments just the rope based equipment. Add a rescue helmet of your choice, I prefer the Petzl Ecrin Roc but you can choose what you like. Everyone in the business has their own spin on equipment and methods so take it all in and make an informed decision. The cost for the items below as of 10/30/04 is $4,140.00 including shipping.

• 12.5 E-Z Bend or Classic Static – Orange/White, 200’
    • 12.5 E-Z Bend or Classic Static – Red/White, 200’
    • 12.5 E-Z Bend or Classic Static – Blue/White, 200’
    • Standard rope Bag, Orange
    • Standard rope Bag, Red
    • Standard rope Bag, Blue
    • Rescue Harness – X 4
    • 8mm Prusik Cord – Red 50’
    • 8mm Prusik Cord – Green 50’
    • Extra large steel carabiners (NFPA) X 14
    • SMC Double PMP 3” X 2
    • SMC Single PMP 3” X 6
    • Petzl I’D Descender 11.5 – 13mm X 1
    • 1” Webbing X 300’ (any color)
    • PMI Rope Pad Canvas 24” X 1
    • SMC Roof Roller X 1
    • PMI Edge Roller System X 1
    • CMC Load Release Strap X 1
    • SKEDCO OSS Orange X 1
    • SKEDCO SKED Orange X 1
    • SKEDCO Rescue Tripod W/ Carry Case X 1

Forum Member

650ft lengths of rope?
    how do you carry it?
    or is it 6 50 ft lengths?

Forum Member

650ft just fits in a large multi-day hiking backpack. We can get them from Mountain Equipment Co-op. This also makes for a comfortable carry as the pack is actually made to be carried for a long time.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Forum Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would do a hazard assessment first to see what you could possibly have. Training is a must, from a reputable source.
    I would go for 1670 compliant first then other specialized courses.
    Once you decide what you'll be doing and what you'll need, don't get pushed into resacues that you can't comfortably do.
    Technical rescue is a high risk, low occurance event. That means it will be some of the most dangerous work you will undertake.

After looking over your responce area I'd start with some basic rope access equipment, just some things that make it safer to get to the victims you'll need to rescue. Basic MA systems with a stokes or sked to get the patient out would be the next step. Building upon the basics should then follow.
    Sounds like a neat project, keep us informed on your progress, and good luck

Thread Information