MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2nd Due Engine????

What do you use it for?

Alright, I need some information. Do any of you guys use your 2nd due engine for as a truck company?

In this area engines are abundent, but truck companies are far and few between. We operate a truck company, but it sometimes rolls with only one or two FF on board. We operate with automatic aide that send a engine on all comfirmed fire alarms. Eventhought it couldn't be used as a full truck company, maybe some truck co. ops could be put into effect. Does anyone have any SOPs that may deal with this sort of thing?

I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

In my area, the second due engine is used for water supply. The first engine goes into the scene and uses tank water until the second engine drops them a line. The second engine will leave a firefighter at the hydrant to hook up, the engine will then proceed to the first engine, where the driver will pull off enough line to get to the first one. The officer and other firefighter will pull a second line and back up the first. When the hydrant man is done, he is to find the rest of his crew.

MembersZone Subscriber

2nd due picks up the 1st engines hydrant, supplies water and the crew stretches a back up line. Our Truck (quint) runs first out while auto aid engines are also due. We have only had to go in service as the engine a few times over the 10 years or so that we have been doing it, but we get a fully staffed truck company there in the early stages. Why not run your truck and let others bring the extra engines?
    Last edited by Halligan84; 10-23-2004 at 08:04 AM.

Forum Member

Our quint has a small first due area were it runs as an engine. When its on scene first it functions as an engine, and the second due engine does truck opps (with the equipment from the quint) after water supply is established. We have close mutual aid, so most times the second and third due engines arrive within seconds of each other. When that happens then the third due does truck opps while the second handles water supply. Of course, if the quint catches the hydrant on the way in, then the second due engine goes right to the scene and starts truck opps.

Confused

Dave

Forum Member

In our closest big city the 2nd due catches the plug.........here (since we quit sending the "heavy squad") would probably be search or back up since it would be arriving 3rd due on location after the first engine and then the truck.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Here we do not have a truck company so it's not uncommon for the crew of the second engine or the rescue to be assigned truck company functions such as ventilation, search or opening void spaces.Ouir nearest truck is a paid department that in the past didn't like to be called out of the city (that's changing now with a new chief so we may use them more often). One department I was on in upstate NY went so far as to equip our second due engine as a "truck" company by adding additional ladders in place of the hard suction, saws, salvage covers and extra fans. Was pretty much the best of both worlds .. could function as a first due engine or the "truck". Generally it would lay the supply line in, and supply the first due from its tank while the crew did the truck work. We also used it for EMS first response. We did have trucks on the first alarm assignment as well, but they came from 2 fire districts away.

We also use the second due for water supply..But with the nonexistence of fire plugs, Their usually in charge of the water shuttle..We'll also utilize there men for essential firefighting ops. ventaltion,search & rescue, or whatever we need at the time.. In most cases an initial R.I.T
    Ain't skeerd

the 4-1-4

Our second due engine is almost always used for supply. On our full box assignment, we dispatch 3 engines, 2 trucks and a squad. First engine positions in front of the building, leaving enough room for the truck, second engine essentially performs a reverse lay by backing down the street and dropping (2) 3 inch supply lines. (we carry no 5 inch) Second engine then finds a hydrant and supplies the first. We have enough truck companies that we never use an engine in a truck role.

Forum Member

While my truck was out of service for almost a year, the 2nd due eng. in our company (we have 4) would serve as a truck company with there 24 ft ext. ladder. but now that we have a new truck, our 2nd due eng. is responsible for a water sorce. depending on manpower of the 2nd eng. (volunteer service)they would serve both purposes.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Forum Member

We do not use our 2nd in Engine company for Truck work. In our City we respond the closest 5 companies, either 3 Engines, 2 Ladders,and BC, or 3 Engines 1 Ladder, 1 Squad, and a BC. Our 2nd due Engine company is used to supply the 1st in Engine company. If the 1st due Engine does a forward lay the 2nd Engine company driver supplies the 1st Engine company, or the 2nd in Engine will do a reverse lay and operates by one of two ways. 1st- free flow thru our 5" supply line from the hydrant for residential fires, or 2nd, make the hydrant connection with the Engine, and supply the 1st Engine company on multi-family, commerical, high rise, nursing home, or haz-mat incidents, that have a potential usage of 1000gpm's or more.

For buildings with FD connections, the 2nd or 3rd due company would supply the sprinkler or standpipe system and then the other comapny would become the supply engine for the 1st due company, this is where good communications between the 2nd & 3rd Engines is a must. The key to any operation is that everyone understands there assignments and follows department SOP's.

I know it sounds like a lot but it works. Hope I was of some help. Engines do Engine work, Truckies do truckie work. Stay Safe.
    Last edited by fdsq10; 11-01-2004 at 08:11 PM.

Forum Member

Our second due is normally water supply. If the first due believes they have a working structure, especially commercial, they'll hit the hydrant and lay a dry line, second due will hook it and flood it. Once water supply is established they'll get another assignment from the BC, could be second line or assist the truck.

Thread Information