Thread: Nasty Scene

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Nasty Scene

Something I hope I never have to pull up on. I watched the news on this and Chief Bell was giving his guys props for doing all they could do for the kids.

http://www.nbc24.com/Global/story.as...5&nav=1aI4SKxs

Forum Member

Definitely bad....... One of the chiefs that was there came up to the AO and said it's the worst thing he's ever seen....... Seems like everytime a crew came out, they were bringing out another child......

Forum Member

Sorry for the second post, but had to move at work......

First crews on scene reported heavy fire and smoke in a 2 story Garden Apts..... Immediately called for a 2nd alarm.... At some point, not sure if before or after got on scene, had report of 7 children still inside...... They ended up calling in at least 2 additional Engines, not sure if more..... Had 6 Lifesquads there, plus a couple of private EMS units.......

Forum Member

Here's another article from www.wtol.com

TOLEDO -- A massive apartment fire in South Toledo killed at least five children and seriously hurt two others Sunday afternoon. Toledo Fire Chief Mike Bell said the fire broke out around 2:30 p.m. on the second floor of the Norwich Apartments on Norwich Road near Airport and Reynolds.

Chief Bell said firefighters responded within one minute of the 911 call made by witnesses. He said firefighters were able to pull children out of the apartment and tried to revive them. Bell said the department does not know yet how the fire started but they are still investigating.

News 11 has learned four families have been affected by the fire and the American Red Cross is helping those displaced by the blaze. Counselors are also on hand to lend their support and comfort to loved ones. The victims names have not yet been released.

Posted at 6:45 p.m., Sunday, October 24, 2004 by jcook

Forum Member

And another from www.13abc.com

Apartment Fire Claims 5 Children
    All the Children were said to be under the age of seven.
    TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - A Lucas County coroner's official says five children are dead and two critically injured after an apartment fire in Toledo this afternoon.

Robert Hannon is a senior investigator with the Lucas County Coroner's Office. He says the five children died at area hospitals and two other people were in critical condition late today.

Toledo Fire Chief Michael Bell says they got a call at two-38 p-m to respond to the fire.

Bell says firefighters pulled seven children all under the age of seven out of the building. He says the fire was quickly put out.

Bell says no adults or firefighters were injured in the blaze.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

MembersZone Subscriber

News is also reporting that the first engine responded within 1 minute. Also reporting that there were no adults in the apt. with the kids.

Good job to our Toledo brothers and sisters, they did all they could at this very tough scene.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

They also called in Rossford, Sylvania, and Maumee Fire Departments to fill in at some of the stations........

And no, Weruj didn't make it this time, either. I even gave him a heads up!

Forum Member

Post Here's another article

Here's another one from www.toledoblade.com

I'm sure they'll have a bigger one in tomorrow's paper......

Article published Sunday, October 24, 2004

Apartment fire in South Toledo leaves five children dead, two others seriously injured

Five children were killed in an afternoon apartment fire today in South Toledo that also left two other children in critical condition.

All of the victims were under 7 years old, Toledo fire Chief Mike Bell said.

Toledo firefighters responded about 2:40 p.m. to the fire just east of Reynolds Road, and about a quarter-mile north of Airport Highway.

The children were transported to local hospitals as they were taken from the unit in the Norwich Apartments.

When firefighters arrived, no adults were in the unit, authorities said. It was unclear the cause of the fire, which is under investigation.

Read more in later editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

www.wtol.com now reporting that one of the two injured children has died. What a tragic day...
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Here's another article

Originally posted by firenresq77
    [B]Here's another one from www.toledoblade.com

I'm sure they'll have a bigger one in tomorrow's paper......
    True to their reputation, the local rag engages in some yellow jounalism:

Chief Bell said firefighters arrived on the scene within a minute after the blaze was reported and were in "rescue mode" trying to get the children out of the apartment. "[The firefighters] did whatever they had to do as quickly as they could," the chief said.

But some onlookers at the scene expressed anger at what they said was a slow response by emergency crews.

Roland Yates, a friend of Terry Sanders - who is the father of Terri, Talia, and Tanija Sanders - said he saw some of the first firefighters on the scene talking on radios and unrolling hoses.

"I just don't understand why those kids were not being gotten to after 15 minutes," said Mr. Yates, a former resident at the complex who was visiting friends in another building when the fire started. "People were losing it. I was losing it, because those are my friend's kids."

Johnny Johnson, who lives in the building next to the one that burned, said he was cited for obstructing official business while trying to help one of three children who had been carried outside by firefighters.

"I was holding this little girl, rubbing her hands, whatever I could do," he said. "A firefighter picked her up and ran with her to an ambulance. They couldn't do it all themselves."
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry to hear of a cal like this. Good work from the brothers from the northwest.

A note: Typical crap from people who do not know anything they are trying to comment on. Sad that the papers actually print that stuff.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Rough call. My heart goes out to them.

Is it true no adults were home? 7 kiddies under 7 yrs old and no adults?? *sigh*

As for the "concerned bystanders" ..... grrrrrrrrrrr

revised: I just read this morning's update, the 7th child has died
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 10-25-2004 at 09:14 AM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I know when PD got there, they were reporting civilians out of control, almost to "riot" status......... And that was their wor, riot, not mine........

Forum Member

Default From FH front page ...............

Seven Children Dead in Toledo, Ohio Apartment Fire

JOHN SEEWER
    Associated Press

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- Joe Jaramillo climbed the staircase with smoke searing his eyes and the cries of seven trapped children ringing in his ears. But he couldn't get any closer.

``They were yelling 'Help us,' but I couldn't do anything. I had to come back for air,'' he said.

Seven children died after a fire broke out in a Toledo apartment Sunday afternoon, authorities said. The victims were five sisters, their brother and a girl cousin, ages six months to 7 years old, relatives said.

``They were the sweetest kids,'' said Denise Sanders, grandmother of three of the children.

Five of the children died at area hospitals soon after the blaze, a sixth died several hours later and the seventh died early Monday morning, said a spokeswoman for St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center.

The Lucas County coroner's office said Monday it had not completed identifying the victims.

Investigators have not determined the cause of the fire, which started in one of the rear bedrooms on the second floor, said Deputy Fire Chief Robert Metzger. They did not know if the two smoke detectors were working, he said.

People placed teddy bears, balloons and burning candles in a memorial outside Monday.

The children were always outside playing tag, hide-and-seek or ``any game their imagination would give them,'' said their uncle, Kevin McGowan.

Jaramillo said he ran into the two-story apartment and tried to get upstairs where the children were trapped, as the mother of the six siblings stood outside screaming that her babies were inside. Jaramillo, 36, said he had been visiting his daughter in the area.

Five to six people tried to get inside but also were repelled by smoke, said Hardy Thornton, a family friend.

Firefighters arrived about a minute after receiving an emergency call but met heavy flames on a staircase as they fought to reach the children, said Chief Michael Bell. They contained the fire quickly after pulling six of the children out of a front bedroom upstairs and a baby from a crib in another room, authorities said.

No adults were injured. Bell said no adults were in the building when firefighters arrived, but he wasn't sure whether adults were inside when the blaze broke out.

Jaramillo said the father of one of the children had tried to go upstairs with a fire extinguisher, ``but it didn't work.'' He and the father tried to go up the stairs a second time, but the smoke and flames were too thick.

``Then it was just quiet,'' said Jaramillo.

Neighbors said the woman who lived in the apartment with her children also had two sisters who live in the apartment complex.

Three of the children were students at Reynolds Elementary School, said school district spokeswoman Jane Bruss.

Nearly all the fire damage was limited to one apartment and the roof of the two-story brick apartment building with five units, said Battalion Chief Mark Klein.

Make NO DOUBT aobut it............these poor brothers worked a very very hectic scene, the end was bad and I am willling to bet this could have all been prevented. Although '77 did give me the heads up, I waited for almost 45 mins ...........but they called for the fill about 10 mins after I left for a kiddie Halloween function........I will make it back ther someday.I hope no one EVER has to see this kind of thing in a career again.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

For those who haven't seen it, www.13abc.com has video footage of it and also a slide show of clips from the video......... You can see in there how the PD had to step in to keep people back..........

MembersZone Subscriber

Ch. 11 at 6 PM had an interview with some of the brothers that were there...what a tough, tough call. As Josh said I hope none of us ever have to go through this.

Jeff, you're right...it is a shame that our "newspaper" has to print inflammatory stuff like they did.

Obviously emotions were very high and a bystander would have no idea that the "fireman talking on the radio" was probably striking the 2nd and getting Life Squads coming and the "fireman unrolling hose" was attempting to give those kids a fighting chance by getting water on the fire.

It's simply irresponsible journalism to print stuff like this and I for one will not be giving them any of my money by purchasing their rag anymore. I only hope that they did not imflame this situation to the point that it was in Prarie Twp. near Columbus a few weeks ago.

The media is also reporting that some residents of that apt. complex are complaining that there have been problems with the electric baseboard heaters arcing and the civilians who went in after the kids as well as the first brothers in did not hear smoke detectors. If this turns out to be true, the management of that complex should be prosecuted.

It's also being reported that the mother initially stated that she was at the store when the fire broke out and later stated that she was on the front porch. TPD is investigating to determine if criminal charges will be filed. Irregardless, I doubt that any punishment from a court of law could come close to the punishment she's going through now.

Just a horrible situation all around and my thoughts are with all of those effected. Rest in peace little ones.

To my TFRD brothers and sisters: FTM-KTF
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Moe, wish I could have seen the interviews....... Went to the website and they just had the story. Hopefully they will add the video later......

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Tonight we are hearing more media smut ...........Someone said that the first due Engine arrived and the "firefighters 'weren't dressed'"when they got off the apparatus.........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by WTFD10
    Ch. 11 at 6 PM had an interview with some of the brothers that were there...
    Here's the story from www.wtol.com

Firefighters Feel the Loss of the Fatal Fire

SOUTH TOLEDO -- Toledo firefighters are searching for the cause of a fire that killed seven children in a south Toledo apartment building. The fire broke out around 2:30 on Sunday in Norwich Apartments near Reynolds and Airport Highway.

The victims were five sisters: Tanija Sanders, 7 months; Talia Sanders, 1; Terri Sanders, 6; Brionna McCullough 2; Teairia McCullough, 7; their brother, Brian McCullough, 5, and a girl cousin, Quanisha Kirk, 7, family members said. Six were found in an upstairs bedroom and the baby was found in a crib in another room. At least three neighbors went up the staircase, trying to reach the children. "The smoke was coming at me," said Anthony Osley, who was visiting his sister nearby. "You couldn't save those kids."

The case is as bad as it gets for Toledo firefighters, who say this is a loss they won't get over anytime soon. "When they woke up that morning, they had no idea what was going to happen," said firefighter Mike Ignatowski. And neither did the firefighters reporting for work that day. But this would be the shift where paramedics like Ignatowski got the call he dreaded most. "Dispatch got on and said there was heavy smoke and up to 7 kids trapped. Instantly, everyone knew going into it that we had kids in there," said Ignatowski.

Paramedic Dan O'Leary has been on the force for 5 years. "I have 20 years left, and I never want to have another run like that," said O'Leary. Rick Easler had gone 11 years without having to face a day like that. "That is the worst, 7 children dying like that is very hard," he said.

Trying to save them took all the resources they had. Not the least of which was faith. "I prayed all the way to the hospital. I prayed all the time that I was performing CPR, I was praying constantly," said O'Leary. All say they will never look at runs the same way again. "We found the 7-month-old in a crib. We've gone on many fires and we've gone in cribs and we've felt in them. Never pulled a child out of them. This time we pulled out a 7-month-old," said Ignatowski.

The loss of that 7-month-old is shared by the crews who tried to save the children. "I just want to hold my own children. Keep them close to me and make sure that they are protected," said Ignatowski. "I can't imagine how much [the mother of the victims] misses her children. I know she wants to hug them one more time. So love your kids and hug your kids," said O'Leary.

The firefighters say everyone worked as hard as they could to save these children. They especially pointed out Mark Frankfurther and Dexter Baker who were on the scene first. They also tell us to use this as a reason to sit down with your kids and go over your safety plans, with two ways out of each room.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Tonight we are hearing more media smut ...........Someone said that the first due Engine arrived and the "firefighters 'weren't dressed'"when they got off the apparatus.........
    Who's "reporting" this?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Moe, one of the guys from the AO watched the news and saw it, I believe....... Not sure which channel.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Moe, one of the guys from the AO watched the news and saw it, I believe....... Not sure which channel.......
    It was 13, they were trying to get the pot stirring again today on the 6 and 11 newscasts.

They had Chief Bell on and he explained what firefighters do when they arrive at a fire and they also played the dispatch tapes.

I was glad to see him on there sticking up for his firefighters. A stand-up guy.

Also for those following along from other areas, they announced today that the cause was one of the kids playing with matches or a lighter.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

The local news media makes me sick at times. Great story in today's Toledo Blade with the interview of the two crew members of Engine 11 who were first on the scene, he explained what they were doing when they first arrived. The firefighter riding the seat of E11 was on the radio to call in a 2nd alarm and give a size-up report. The FF who was partially dressed was the driver/engineer of E11 and he was doing his duties to set the pump. Its sad the media takes those reports and runs with it due to it creates controversy, its sad the FF's had to explain their actions when they first arrived.

I'm proud of my brothers on E11 this day, and all TFRD brothers who did all they could do, these situations are very sad and we wish them upon nobody, but I'm proud to be a member of the TFRD because I know those guys gave it there all.
    Last edited by WTFDChief730; 10-28-2004 at 05:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was suprised to see this article. The paper must have gotten many complaints.

Here's the article:

Looking back, firefighters say they did what they had to do

By CHRISTINA HALL
    BLADE STAFF WRITER

Mark Frankforther, like all Toledo firefighters, is not supposed to go into a burning building alone.
    But Sunday, with seven children inside a burning South Toledo apartment, he did what he had to do.

The 12-year veteran hauled a fire hose up the stairs to the second floor of the burning unit at 5118 Norwich Rd., struggling with the line a couple of times because the front door kept closing on it. But Mr. Frankforther, 48, had to stop momentarily at the top of the stairs to pour water on flames that were shooting from a rear upstairs bedroom, blocking access to the second-floor hallway.

His Engine 11 crew mate, Dexter Baker - who immediately called for a second alarm when their three-man engine arrived at the scene - soon joined him inside. The two knocked down the flames in their path and began to search through the four bedrooms for the youngsters.

"We were getting up there as fast as we could to get to those children," Mr. Baker, a 33-year-old father of two young children, emphasized yesterday at Station No. 11.

The station is at 4820 Airport Hwy., just east of Reynolds Road and less than a half-mile from the fire scene.

Despite their best efforts and those of other firefighters and paramedics who responded, the seven children retrieved from the burning structure - ages 7 months to 7 years - all died.

Killed were Brian McCullough, 5; his sisters, Brionna McCullough, 2; Teairia McCullough, 7; Talia Sanders, 19 months; Tanija Sanders, 7 months, and Terri Sanders, 6; and their cousin, Quanisha Kirk, 7.

All died of smoke inhalation, according to the Lucas County coroner's office.

Fire officials believe the blaze was started on a mattress or bedding in a rear bedroom by one of the children using a match, lighter, or candle.

Mr. Frankforther and Mr. Baker - both of whom arrived on the scene first with colleague Ted Bienko - did not spot any of the children in the first, smoky, dark bedroom they searched. Through blinding smoke and heat, Mr. Frankforther crawled to the other front bedroom and with the help of a flashlight could see two children lying together on the floor at the foot of a bed.

He said he yelled to Mr. Baker, and they separated the children. Mr. Baker felt one of them, grabbed the diapered child, crouched down the hallway, and walked down the steps. Mr. Frankforther followed carrying a limp girl.

It was the first time either man had rescued a child.

"You just do what you can as soon as you can," Mr. Frankforther said.

Once outside, both firefighters immediately began lifesaving efforts. One used a bag to artificially fill the child's lungs with clean air. The other started performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Mr. Baker, a firefighter for eight years, helped the other rescued children after his was taken to an area hospital. Mr. Frankforther stayed with the child he had all the way to Toledo Hospital.

Fifteen-year firefighter Michael Fuelling, a 39-year-old father of two boys, did the same after rescuing the 19-month-old.

Mr. Fuelling, who is assigned to Station 7 at Bancroft Street and Franklin Avenue in central Toledo, said the toddler and three others were piled on the floor of a front bedroom at the foot of a bed. Visibility was poor, but the children could be seen when firefighters bent down to floor level.

"That 19-month-old was like my baby for 40 minutes," he said. "I did not leave that child until she was pronounced [dead.] It was a feeling I had. There's a connection that's made. I felt I had to see it through."

Some people at the fire scene criticized firefighters for a slow response. But Fire Chief Mike Bell said the Engine 11 crew arrived one minute after being dispatched at 2:38 p.m. The chief said the first child retrieved from the apartment was brought out in less than seven minutes.

Mr. Fuelling's crew - who traveled about seven miles to the scene - arrived 11 minutes after the call was dispatched.

Mr. Baker said his colleagues never lost focus of getting the children even though they were minus two members of the station's five-member crew. The other two were on an unrelated emergency medical services run that was called in before the fire.

Mr. Baker said he and his two colleagues were preparing for the fire run before they were dispatched because they received an advance call from the dispatch office about the blaze.

Mr. Baker said Mr. Bienko would not have been completely suited up when he arrived because he was driving their fire engine. Mr. Bienko then set up the pumps to get water, pulled off the hose Mr. Frankforther took into the apartment, and turned on the access valve to the 500 gallons of water stored in the truck.

Mr. Baker was talking on a radio calling for a second alarm and providing dispatch and the battalion chief with information about the on-scene situation. When the battalion chief arrived to take over command, Mr. Baker put on his mask and went into the apartment.

"We did our job," Mr. Baker said somberly. "We did the best job that could be done."
    http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...WS07/410280448

Good job brothers! FTM-KTF!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information