MembersZone Subscriber

Angry This sends a great message

From the FH.com front page:

Ohio Volunteer Firefighters Get Probation for Setting Fire

NAVARRE, Ohio (AP) -- Three volunteer firefighters who set fire to a house on Oct. 4 have been placed on probation.

Michael Cross, 20, Aaron C. Minnis, 23, and Donald L. Lee Jr., 28, were convicted of misdemeanor charges as part of an agreement reached Friday before their scheduled appearance in Massillon Municipal Court.

The men initially were charged with felonies. Cross and Minnis were found guilty of arson and Lee was convicted of complicity to commit arson.

Village prosecutor Lawrence E. Chapanar said the fire was a bad lapse in judgment by three good individuals with no prior criminal record.

``It was a bad mistake and I believe alcohol was involved in the planning stages,'' he said.

Police say the men set fire to a vacant house in the middle of the night. No one was injured.

Police say the men were among the 11 volunteer firefighters who arrived to fight the fire.

The men resigned from the fire department as part of the deal and will pay restitution to the victim and village.

Navarre is about 10 miles west of Canton.
    Congratulations to the prosecutor...this will be a real big deterrent for the next whacker who decides he wants to play hero.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

I read about this today..........NICE ! .....not done.........you know GWCFI always says we dont do enough to deter FF Arson........well hows about stiffer penalties ? I mean these 3 got off with probation and were drunk/drinking when they schemed it or torched it and hten showed up to put it out ! unreal........maybe they should come to Toledo and tell the FF's here why doing that was such a smart thing. FTM !
    Last edited by Weruj1; 10-25-2004 at 08:04 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

ehh well, it happens everyhere else too

Thread Information