MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fall Season in the Flatlands

Let's face it; summer's over.
    Trees are shedding their leaves. Squirrels are foraging for food and burying it in my backyard. Furnace is kicking on more often.
    I have a serious head cold. Got the flu shot before the vaccine became scarce.
    As I look out the window, it is raining and temperature is barely 60.
    Yep; Fall is here.
    Don't forget to turn your clocks back.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Yep, it's fall. This year it looks like it'll be a wet one, too. You might know it's start raining after a rather dry late summer, just when our construction is "supposed" to start. Everybody wants water lines trenched in but it's rained every day I've had a chance to do it.
    The leaves look pretty decent down here, lots of color. Lots of them on the ground, too.
    Spring forward, fall back. At least it'll be light outside when we get up in the mornings. But it'll be dark when we get home.
    Oh, yeah, GO CARDS!
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Exclamation PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTT ............

hey there fellow flatlanders..........let us also NOT FORGET to CHANGE our smoke detector batteries. And in the already established light, the foilage is pretty, days are getting short, it has been very nice here the last 2 days.........hopin to wash and wax a couple of cars tomorrow.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, yes it is fall. I've been holding onto the summer for as long as I can. But, I had to pull out a warmer coat today. I actually like the fall; it's pretty to look at. All the changing colors from the leaves and set/risingsun and the fall blue sky. I would like it more if the half-witted-buffoon neighbors of mine would move their vehicles, on street sweeping day, so all those colored leaves would go away so everyone can park. I'm hoping to go down to Starved Rock soon, before all the leaves are gone. I didn't have a moment last year to go.

Have a safe fall everyone,

Jorie

CR-I hope you feel better soon.

Forum Member

Don't forget about deer season, I shot an 11 pointer the other night.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

So mfd, does that mean we all get deer jerky!?!

Jorie, stop by Hinckley on your way to Starved Rock.

Art, it's not too cold yet. I want to get out one last time. My weekends in November are all shot; any chance you could get a day off during the week...?

Jack, our water line is all in!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by jaybird210
    ... any chance you could get a day off during the week...?

Jack, our water line is all in!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
    I wish I could get a day off during the week. And remember to take it easy on Art - he's a little older than he used to be.

Our water line would be in, too, if we had a building to run it to. It's been raining for a week now. What was once dry is now wet. They'll be playing in the mud now instead of the dust.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I dont know about the park, but boy has Utica changed since the tornado. My car had a little altercation with a tree in my front yard and i was real bummed for 2 days until that tornado hit and i realized that its not all bad. If you stay at Starved Rock Camp Ground make sure you by Sisler's ice.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking I need a vacation!

I'm aiming for Nov. 6 or 7 to go down to starved rock, it's not set in stone yet, but I'm trying.

I would love to camp out over night again; I haven't done that in years!!! But I work too much. I may even half to work on the 7th. I'm in the process of putting a lifeguard class into motion for the winter in Chicago, and helping a new manager become situated and my other pool. She's slowly making progress, verrry slowly, but getting it.

Hey Jaybird I don't think I've ever been in Hinckely before, maybe in passing. I'm not sure what to do or check out there. Besides the construction of the new firehouse.

Does anyone know of any horse stables that you can ride on a trail, preferably without a guide? There are none in my neighborhood that do trail rides anymore.

This one day trip is going to be my vacation; I think my last vacation was in '99 or before.

Jorie

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Jaybird I don't think I've ever been in Hinckely before, maybe in passing. I'm not sure what to do or check out there. Besides the construction of the new firehouse.
    That pretty much sums up the Hinckley Travel Planner.

For you adventurous types, Chicagoland Skydiving is three miles west of Hinckley. They run a pretty good show there. You can tandem jump after a 45 minute training course (done it!).
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

You can tandem jump after a 45 minute training course (done it!).
    Yep, that proves all our suspicions - jaybird210 is crazy.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I spent the weekend of the 15th in New Orleans.. 80's and sunny. Got off my plane the 18th and it was 47 and raw. I almost cried. This past week I spent 5 days in the Tampa Bay area..80's and sunny. However, there is something to be said about the beautiful trees and the warmish fall air. I know winter is a comin. And any fireman in Northern climates knows what that means. So I think I will do a better job appreciating autumn and think spring...It's only a little less then 5 months away..
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

mfd;
    I didn't know cows had 11 points! Or is Niabi Zoo missin' one of their deer?
    Jay: I could probably sneak out on a Friday. Let me know.
    Got me a real nice Harley fleece pullover today, compliments of my wifey. Birthday, you know.
    Jack; both 52, flatlanders and Scorpios. Now; that's scary.
    Mikey; you trying to move south on us?
    lilyogi has applied for IACOJ membership. Tell me the flatlanders don't have the largest contigent in the IACOJ.
    Flatlanders forever.
    Jorie; I want to get to Ottawa before it gets cold. Want to ride the XCHF special to the Harley shop there and buy the shirt.
    Who am I leaving out?
    Anyway; glad to see chatter here once again.
    No other state even comes close.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Jorie is in Ottawa ? I got family there !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    mfd;

Jack; both 52, flatlanders and Scorpios. Now; that's scary.

No other state even comes close.
    CR
    No, CR, my birthday's in Feb. - Aquarius

But you are right - NO other state is close.
    FLATLANDERS ARE FOREVER.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What in tar nation?!?!

CR
    I understand buying a shirt at a Harley store in Ottawa, but what about the rest? There's a lot of floating ? markes dancing over head. Please explain:
    Jorie; I want to get to Ottawa before it gets cold. want to ride the XCHF special to the harley shop there and buy the shirt.
    Werj1
    Jorie is in Ottawa? I got family there!
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm all the way up north in Skokie. Do you have family here?

Jaybird
    I would only jump from a flying plane if my life was endangered if I didn't. I don't have guts like that, congrats that you do! Do you have anything tamer, less nauseating? maybe a good restaurant, bar, historical museum, or an antique store-I'm a history buff, I like non-modern objects. There's some real good books in antique stores.- Anything like that in Hinckely? There's always something at every location, even the desert has the sunset and wildlife.

Jorie

looking forward to relax!
    It's not the fall that kill you; it's the sudden stop!

MembersZone Subscriber

"Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Because the door was open!!

Actually, I felt compelled to try it after we picked up the same knucklehead twice in one year (damn near killed himself both times). I decided I needed to find out what the attraction was for these nut-jobs.
    It was okay. Not something I'd do again; but glad I did it oncet.

Ya know, there are no antique shops in Hinckley. Couple of junk stores, but not specialized. Never thought of it till now. Couple nice bars. Hinckley is also home to the first permanent settlement in DeKalb County. Oh, I nearly forgot our biggest claim to fame: This is also the site of the first Harlem Globetrotters game in 1927! (WOOoooooooOOOOO!!!).

-------
    CR's "XCHF special" is his Harley. Every old guy has a Harley. XCHF would be the plate. There's a picture floating around the forums somewhere's.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

[B-------
    Every old guy has a Harley. [/B]
    Jay, as mentioned in CR's birthday thread, I'm a little older than he is. I ain't got no Harley and have no desire to get one. Well, maybe there's a little hell's angel in me. I do have a Honda Spree, you know the old 49cc scooters?
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default HARLEY?????

I'm sorry, the last that I knew Harley was not spelled H-O-N-D-A .

Sorry CR......no I'm not!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool feeling better

The week before I got a sinus infection from allergies. Z-packs are wounderful pink pills! Makes ya feel real good!
    Took the trip to Starved Rock on Saturday. A 2 hour drive alone, with hardly any trafic. Arriving just as most visitors where leaving so the trails where empty and quiet. Though I'll bring a flash light the next time I go that late; it got a little dark down in the canyons. Then meating with some friends back near home and playing cards till 1:40am. I can't remember feeling this much at peace!

Jay: I saw the signs for the sky diving. But, I didn't want to get stuck with that knucklehead, who you went with, who nearly killed himself both times. I'ld rather keep my feet on the gound. I didn't stop in Hinckely it's more that a bit out of my way. I have been reading the construction thread and viewing the pics. so, it's like I visited, right?

CR: Stopped in Oattwa, well duahh! I hadn't noticed before how many people had motorcycles there. there's not that many here in Skokie, mainly SUVs.

hope everyones fall is going well!

Jorie

I can already smell the snow coming.

Forum Member

Default skydive chicago

I would pick a better place than skydive chicago if u want to go skydiving. In the last like 4 years they have had like 5 people die in parachuting accidents. I know this for a fact because one of them to die was the dad of a good friend of mine. he was on a jump team and they had a new female member (nothing against women skydivers) and she wasnt good. but the team leader made them let her jump. she collided with my friends dad and their chutes tangled and both got knocked out and they both died i believe. the fell from 50 ft up. my friends dads brains were "oozing" (for lack of a better word) out his ears. So i wouldnt risk my life there, they dont seem to have very good safety precautions.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Which is exactly why I ride motorcycles.
    Much safer!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default jupping; no way!

Sorry, I forgot to mention I don't like the falling sensation. I went on the giant drop when it first opened at Great America. I think my stomach is still floating in mid air. I didn't vomit; I'm proud of myself for that.
    Like I said before; "I would only jump from a flying plane if my life was endangered if I didn't."

Jorie

Keeping my feet planted firmly to the ground.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know this sounds stupid, but when you skydive, you really don't feel like you're falling. How so? Well, you jump from 13,000 feet, so there's nothing to reference yourself to (good english); and when you open the chute, it's such a gentle descent that it isn't bad at all.

Not trying to sell this here nonsense, just trying to dispell a couple of myths.

Also, just for the record, Skydive Chicago that Ox mentioned is in Ottawa. They've killed at least one there every year for the past eight that I can think of. The one in Hinckley is Chicagoland Skydiving (!?) and this year was the first year they've had a (skydiving)fatality in almost 15 years. There was that pesky plane crash back in '92 (but that was a plane crash, not a skydiving accident).
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default skydiving

hmmmmmmm....I'll take your word on it.
    I'm not scared to fly. But, if the plane was fine and the door was open; you'll find me strapped securely to my seat. Besides I get motion sickness kind of easily. The last time I was on a plane was when I came back from Austria about 7 years ago. Slept the whole way back.
    It looks fun some times, and I admire those that do it or have.

Jorie

To each his own.

Thread Information