Thread: what to do

Forum Member

Default what to do

Ok in my firehouse we only have 2-3 juniors myself included. One of our juniors dosent show up as it is. He is trying to get into USMA which is down the road from us. Now I belive, and he has pretty much said he is using the Department to get letters of reccomendation to get in.

Since May he has only made 1-3 call, and 3 drills tops. He plays school sports and is in a band ( getting off topic) but today he asked me if i had the cheifs number because " i really need a letter of reccomendation". I said i dont ( but i really do). Then the few times he comes to drill he acts like he knows everything and trys to pull rank on me.

I want to tell our cheif ( preferably our car 2 because ive known him forever) i know hes using the company cause come august next year i know he wont be here if he gets to USMA.

But the fact that he is asking me for help to get letters of reccomendation and the fact he never shows up. I asked a bunch of guys today about him and they are like " Who the hell is he?"" never herd of him" stuff to that effect

HNFC FF/President

i have no respect for people who use the company for their own gain and not give anything in return. If this guy were an active member and showed up for calls, then i would do what i can for him.

He doesn't deserve it if he doesnt' put out for it. I believe that you should have a chat with your officer and explain the situation. Stick to your guns and stand up for what you believe in. We call that Integrity in my NJROTC unit, do what you think is right and don't back down! (if you know that it's right)
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

I totally agree with mdoddsjffhnfc. If hes just using you guys thats wrong and in our post if you don't show up for a while, without good reason, you get your rank taken away. Lead by example.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Im going to try to talk to Ast. Cheif about it. We dont have ranks we are juniors. We ride on runs help out, do exterior stuff that doesnt need an SCBA, etc... basicly exterior firemen with some restrictions

Forum Member

a couple things: 1) he's going to find out the chief's number 2) he's going to ask for the recommendation whether you want him to or not 3) he plays scholastic sports (assuming varsity) and he's in the band, so he sounds like he has a busy schedule

and who are you to judge him? do you play "school sports?" are you in the band? i know from my HS time, school was from 7:30am to 2pm, and sports was 2pm to (iirc) 4 or 4:30pm EVERY DAY during the season. and lets not forget homework and other school work. and if he wants to spend quality time with a member of the opposite sex (a task alone that can be a full time job)? and if he's in band, he probably plays an instrument, which is usually practice at least 2 or 3 days a week. and many HS kids (seniors especially) have a part time job after school or on the weekends so they can get some money from certain events. and that's not even taking into account his family obligations. I'm not trying to justify him not showing up and using the department for a recommendation, only that he may be too busy for the department, and it's not your place to judge him on that.

why are you being such a jerk? give him the chief's number. if you chief is a good one, he'll say to this guy "you havn't done anything in the past 2 years, and as a result, I don't feel comfortable writing you a recommendation." but that's his decision, not yours. that's why he wears 5 bugles, and you're an explorer. I understand why you are not pleased, but it's not your place to do what you are doing. trust your leadership to handle it appropriately.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I completely agree with DrParasite. I think it is very important to stand up for what you believe in and stick to your guns. However I usually apply this to things that effect me. That may sound a little selfish but I have found that sometimes it is just much better to mind your own business. For example like DrParasite said let the chief handle it. I have also realized that you can't fix everything that is wrong in the world and don't try so just let this kid do what he wants. If he gets the recommmendations more power to him, he sounds like he probably has a lot on his plate anyways.
    By the way if I was this kid and I found out that you ratted me out for something so stupid as this (Remember its who you know, not what you know) I would not be happy and I would be looking to find you very quickly!!!

Forum Member

3) he plays scholastic sports (assuming varsity) and he's in the band, so he sounds like he has a busy schedule
    When i ment band i ment a recreational band with his buds.

and who are you to judge him? do you play "school sports?" are you in the band?
    i play baseball in the spring and ski team in winter so yes i do play sports

why are you being such a jerk? give him the chief's number. if you chief is a good one, he'll say to this guy "you havn't done anything in the past 2 years, and as a result, I don't feel comfortable writing you a recommendation." but that's his decision, not yours. that's why he wears 5 bugles, and you're an explorer. I understand why you are not pleased, but it's not your place to do what you are doing. trust your leadership to handle it appropriately. [/B]
    I dont think im being a jerk. Im just trying to prevent him from using me ( trying to pull "tenure" on me at the one or two drills he has come to; asking me for the cheifs number when he should do it himself if he wants it .

And whats an explorer just curious?

Forum Member

School activities are not a problem. I play football and am at school until about six and my season just ended. Next week I will be at school until 6 again for swimming. I am in two extracuriccular groups, our Explorer Post, Boy Scouts of America, and work a part-time job. I still find time to make all of our meetings and training.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

PS- I also get 1-2 1/2 hours of homework a nite.

HNFC FF/President

sounds like the guy in question is one of those guys who just wants to wear the shirt and carry around the pager and look cool.

I have a busy schedule myself. I'm a member of the school newspaper and a cadet in the NJROTC program. I'm after school everyday for ROTC stuff and always manage to find time to make drills and calls and the sort. The kid needs to make a better attempt at showing up for calls and drills. Sounds like he could care less about things. I wouldn't support him.

I would suggest that you do what i suggested before. Any further questions or concerns? feel free to e-mail me or PM me.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Had a few who were like that in post we worked with. Showed up, got gear and never came back.

Boy oh boy does it go up there *** when they dont get a letter they were looking for or the person checking up on them is told "_______came to one meeting and never came back and contributed 0 to this organization"

I cant stand the kind that do that show up just to get the gear and title, so they can tell everyone at school there with the FD.

It is tough haveing a post of only 2 or 3 sometimes. My post only had 4 at its max. But when drill times comes it can be nice as you can do more and $ per explorer is higher when you get donations which means better gear.

Good luck.
    Last edited by stm4710; 10-27-2004 at 11:00 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Ok Mark, just because you have a busy schedule and you can make time for the firehouse doesnít mean this kid can. I mean I donít know the kid but Iím sure he tries to make time but just cant. I mean I have a job and go to school and now this Navy stuff, I mean it doesnít sound like a lot but I have little time for the firehouse these days I mean I make an effort to get there but I just cant. And in our bi-laws for juniors it says that family and school come before the firehouse.

I donít think i'm being a jerk. Iím just trying to prevent him from using me
    Well if you donít give him the number I'm sure he will go ask someone who will give it to him. I mean seriously just give him the number. Unless your jealous of him because he may get the letter of recommendation. I mean there are kids that join FD and Rescue Squads because it looks good on their college app.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Don't make this your fight....Tell him to see the chief on his own. - Don't worry about what the next guy does or doesn't do

You're not an officer and not a chief....Let the Officers handle the problem and continue to do what you need to do to suceed in the fire service.

You know you're active and that you care...Leave it at that.

Forum Member

If you join a post and cant make time for it, why did he join in the first place, if you cant make a honest commitment to the post just back out and let someone who wants to learn and train take your place. I just had a kid like that in my post. We have a 75% attendance requirment. He did not make an honest commitment to the post and was booted. Which freed up the gear and uniform for someone who actualy wanted to train. We have a shortage of gear, uniforms and other equip and that is why we keep the attendance req.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

The kid is not dedicated period. Thegeek187 said that he joined in May. He's had almost 9 months of being with the FD and yeah sure he has school, sports, family deidcaions and what not. But what i found interesting is that he had the whole summer to do training and drills etc. That's 2 months of no school, no homework, no school sports etc. That gives him an extra 8-10 hours per day and I'm sure that he could ahe managed top make it to the fire house more thn 2 or 3 times in that two month period.

And honestly! No one, NO ONE, here should be calling any one else a jerk. Have you guys forgotten what it takes to be a fire fighter? Team work, dedication, courage, bravery, and heart. Of course there are other things in there too, but those are the ones that count most. Right now it seems like that kid is missing 3 out of those 5 traits. Team work, dedication, and heart.

No one on any department should be trying to outrank anyone. That is showing a lack of team work, and he is only taking the "cool factor" into consideration. He's not dedicated as he should be, not saying that he's not. But he could find the heart to find more time to get there. My life is almost identical to his from what i've read, but i still manage to get to the fire house once every two or three weeks. I'd love to ge there more often, but i can't.

My advice... give him the number to develop a stronger team between the two of ou, but very calmy tell him that if e wats a recommendation letter, he better start kicking it up into high gear. Don't yell it at him, but make him think that you reall want to help him. But don't go to the cheif about it, because then that makes the cheif believe that there is a lack of teamwork between you to.

Thegeek187, just concentrate on your individaul training to make the best effort you can to become the bs fire fighter you can be, and that is all that matters.

Its funny beacsue we have a kid at our firehouse who is doing the almost exact same thing. He is trying to get into the USMA and has said to our JR captain that he is pretty much just using this for experiance. I think this is really shady, the FD is not just a place to come and use on an application. Its a place of business. I think that you should get in touch with your cheif or some type of ranking officer and let him know whats going on. Then probobly set up a meeting between the cheif and this kid beacuse he needs to be taught the Firehouse is not a place tojust play around.

Thread Information