Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally posted by 42VTExplorer
    ndvfdff33,

Learn when to use the shift key.
    Oh gee..So sorry...
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Not to change the subject but he's right. You obviously have no idea how annoying it is to read to something that is either ALL CAPS or with every single first letter in caps.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Unless your perfect, I would appreciate you not giving me flack about the way I put my messages on here..Thanks
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
    Do A Search On Lights Dennis And You'll See How Many Threads There Are About Lights In POV's....Its Unreal...Someone Even Tried To Hide It By Naming Their Thread Hi And You Read It...It's Like What Kind Of Lights Should I Put In My POV...
    The search engine sucks to get specific questions answered. At least I have not been able to get it to work well for me, but since i am old enough to have never received a computer class in school, that might be why. If the thread is titled right why bother opening it if you are tired of the subject? Now if someone titles the thread, "Got a question" or "Does anyone know", then by all means jump down there throat
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Originally posted by cellblock
    I don't see the big deal about responding POV with lights and sirens. As long as the FF is driving with due regard for public safety the emergency lighting and audio warning serves the same purpose as the equiptment installed on the BRT. It allows the responding FF to respond faster while alerting the public to his presence. It also makes no since to say that a fire department can't trust it's members to act responsibily with lights and sirens on their POV but that same person is trusted to climb behind the wheel of a truck hauling several tons of water and equiptment. ---
    Great point, if folks are going to be on call, I would rather the idot drivers of a Department be driving their relatively light POV where they have a preety good chance of losing the fight then them driving the heavy apparatus that is going to win in the accident everytime.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

There is NO need to use lights on POV's when responding to calls/station. Numerous studies have shown that responding emergency (lights/sirens) save only 30-45 seconds. Many agencies around the country now repond non-emergency to certain types of calls. The day's of lights/sirens every time the bell rings are comming to an end, as they should.

However, for scene safety reasons, having some lights on your POV is a must if you respond to scenes. I would like to see the blue lights (red in my state) hi beam wig wags and sirens replaced with arrowsticks and amber flashers.

Dave

amber flashers.
    The only flashing lights I use.

Same here...And I don't even use them to get to the station...I turn them on at medical calls if I go to the scene which is usually only if it's between me and the firehall...

If you guys think that lights in your POV help you get to the station so much quicker...I invite you to come up here sometime and be around a firehall when there is a call...I'd bet money that we would have the same response time as your depts or maybe even better...And this is all without lights...

Ryan

And you probably shouldn't be using those concidering your a damn explorer.

And you probably shouldn't be using those concidering your a damn explorer.
    What's that supposed to mean? I think you're taking my post a bit out of context.

Quote from me on another thread:

Oh, and I go with the flow of traffic, no lights and sirens. The only "emergency" lights I have in my car are my hazards, and those are only turned on if I'm parked on the side of the road.
    Hmmm, no lights or sirens. Hazards are turned on if I'm parked on the side of the road. Maybe I should just leave them turned off now..

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
    Same here...And I don't even use them to get to the station...I turn them on at medical calls if I go to the scene which is usually only if it's between me and the firehall...
    I'm going to assume that you mean you turn your hazards on while driving to the scene. if so, then you might want to check your stat's laws about driving with your hazards on. if you mean while you are parked IFO the incident location, then I have no problems with that.
    Numerous studies have shown that responding emergency (lights/sirens) save only 30-45 seconds
    then why do emergency vehicles (police, fire and ambulances) still use them?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Yes Dr.Parasite I do mean when my car is parked on the side of the road...I know for fact its against the law here to use hazard lights responding to calls...Even if I did use them they would do me no good because the only thing in my car that could identify me as a firefighter is a mini plate in my front windshield...I just go with the flow...

Ryan

42, your post implied you used flashing amber lights while responding since that's what this whole thread is about... responding. Not only that, but "amber flashers" also would imply some form of additional light, not just your vehicle's hazzards. If you want people to understand that you mean your vehicle hazzards and only while stopped on scene, perhaps you should have stated that that in THIS thread rather than relying on the general membership to have mind reading ability.

In response to your PM, and a huge supporter of the explorer program and am one of the lead advisors in the post at our station. Don't worry, I was making a point to you, not bashing the fact that you are an explorer.

I just wanted too chime in also. We have several members that run lights including me I have a teardrop blue strobe on the top of the car. we also have the idiots that think because they have a light they can speed well, the state police put a stop too these people we recieved a letter stating that any firefighter seen speeding would be stopped and fined.
    I actually have no problem making the first truck as a matter of fact a state patrol officer pulled over for me on one call.

The use of blue lights on POV's really depends on your districts geography and the location of your active firefighters. One of our stations is located right in the middle of the village, we actually have most of the active members from the station walk they are so close!!! My station, station 3, is in the middle of no where, poor planning on the part of the founding members. I used to fly to the firehouse with blue light blaring for every single call. Now that I have matured alittle, I hardly ever use my light.

I also believe that new members/junior members should not be allowed to use any type of emergency lighting. My company actually prohibits members that are not interior qualified to utilize blue lights. What is the point of rushing to get the truck if your going to be doing exterior operations anyway?? Also, anyone who wants to run a blue light should be required to participate in some sort of class/instruction about SAFELY responding while using a blue light.

Wink

I am 18 and I have a single talon on my dashboard. (I also have strobes and flashers hidden in every light)... but I'll never use THOSE within viewing distance of the firehouse

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!! Shoot it. Shoot it in the head. Ohmygawd ohmygawd ohmygawd......

Forum Member

There are as many different reasons for using/not using lights on POVs as there are fire departments.

I picked up a dashlight when I first joined, 10 years ago. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. I bought it at the auto parts store, I think it was about $15.

I have never really used it. But I will from now on. Why? Because our towns insurance company has informed us that they will not cover any accident if the responding firefighter is not running a light. And if the insurance guys come back and say my light is inadequate, I will get a bigger and brighter one.

Absolute statements about lights ( like, "no one ever needs lights on a POV, and people who have them are whackers", or, "Everyone needs to have lights! Safety, safety, safety!") are idiotic. It is situational.

It also varies by state. Every so often someone will post on one of these threads their opinion that certain light/siren setups, and/or the lack of certain light/siren setups, is illegal. Sometimes, these fools even purport to be police officers. In fact, the laws vary tremendously by state.

Which is the real reason for the large number of threads on the subject. You will note they usually are entitled something like, "What is the light law in state X?"

If there were a national standard for emergency lighting that was adopted by all states, we wouldn't have these problems.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cellblock View Post
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!! Shoot it. Shoot it in the head. Ohmygawd ohmygawd ohmygawd......
    Our "Resurrect Old Threads Month" continues to live! Of course, at only 4 years old, this thread doesn't come close to the 7-year-old one that came up last week.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by WrxSTI View Post
    I am 18 and I have a single talon on my dashboard. (I also have strobes and flashers hidden in every light)... but I'll never use THOSE within viewing distance of the firehouse
    Then why do you have them?
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Thread Information