Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Some do go way overboard!

I do have lights on my vehicle. They can be a considerable asset. They must be used responsibly though. In New Jersey it is not a law to yield to blue lights. Some drive like it is, but it isn't. Emergency vehicles in New Jersey are defined as having red lights and "sirens" activated.
    David DeCant
    Firefighter/NREMT-B
    Barrington, New Jersey
    A paycheck doesn't make you a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by DED1645 View Post
    In New Jersey it is not a law to yield to blue lights. Some drive like it is, but it isn't. Emergency vehicles in New Jersey are defined as having red lights and "sirens" activated.
    The reason people in NJ drive like it is, is because it is. Thats the problem with NJ, they changed the law regarding blue lights in 2005 and didn't exactly publicize that they did. If you dont believe me, here is the section of NJ law that says it itself:

N.J.S.A. 39:3-54.12
    39:3-54.12 Rights of motor vehicle with emergency lights in operation.

6. Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members operating emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State including R.S.39:4-81, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management operating emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S.39:4-92.

L.1977,c.223,s.6; amended 2005, c.34, s.4; 2005, c.218, s.5.
    Last edited by Slaytallica45; 02-22-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

How many of you tell your automotive liability insurance carrier that you have blue lights on your POV??????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I don't normally chime in these either but, it is normally paid guys who have never worked or volunteered in any other department than the one they have worked for their entire career that always want to make this an issue.

Like it not, about 80% of the fire service is volunteer. I have worked for or volunteered for about 3 or 4 other departments before working here in Memphis for the last 13 years.

This is a simple issue. If you don't like, see the need for, or understand someone using a legal visual or audible warning device that they normally pay for in their own automobile, just don't buy one for yours. If you think they are a useless tool in a POV, go to your station and start stripping your apparatus of all the same similar devices. They do work the same you know and many departments go just as more over top with their apparatus as some people do with their own cars. The latest and greatest LED lights and multiple sirens with no tools and a single 150' preconnect and supply line. Thats where you should be outraged!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

What the douce???

Damn you cellblock, have to be a s**t disturber don't yah?
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I don't normally chime in these either but, it is normally paid guys who have never worked or volunteered in any other department than the one they have worked for their entire career that always want to make this an issue. . . . . . . Like it not, about 80% of the fire service is volunteer. This is a simple issue. If you don't like, see the need for, or understand someone using a legal visual or audible warning device that they normally pay for in their own automobile, just don't buy one for yours. . . . . many departments go just as more over top with their apparatus as some people do with their own cars. The latest and greatest LED lights and multiple sirens with no tools and a single 150' preconnect and supply line. Thats where you should be outraged!!
    Definite food for thought when outfitting new equipment. Can I play devils advocate and ask what all of you who are blue light haters suggest they spend their money on instead? I am asking a serious question and would appreciate serious answers. BTW, I use a blue light, a single led mounted in front of my rear view mirror.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    What the douce???

Damn you cellblock, have to be a s**t disturber don't yah?
    Itwasn't me. It was WrxSTI who dug this one out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cellblock View Post
    Itwasn't me. It was WrxSTI who dug this one out of the ground.
    DOH!!! My bad.

Damn you WrxSTI!!!!!!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    to respond to what you said, usually it is the younger crowd that gets tons of lights and strobes in their car. but there are also times you will find older married guys with kids who have more lights on their car than a fire engine will have. you really can't blame this on the young guys. and most people do grow out of it after a couple of years.

hahahahahahaha!!! that is a great argument, except that most departments don't have a paid crew on duty!!!

if you got an onduty crew that will take the call, rushing won't help. especially if they are going to handle the call with that one engine. and if it's a worker, they will be rolling everything anyway, so your bound to get a seat on a truck.

I got to say, I like blue lights. I have one on my windshield (note, I said one, not a christmas tree or a lightbar). i'm 22. my department don't do station shifts, we respond for all calls. so spartan guy, your last argument, while a good one, doesn't apply to me, nor does it apply to the 80% of other volunteer departments in the nation.

if you are a paid FF, then of course you will be deadset against them. you don't need them, nor do you have any use for them. you are in the station when a call comes in. You aren't going to miss the truck if it takes you 15 more seconds to gear up.

old timers are the same way. they have the "been there, done that" reaction to a fire. that's the "i've been doing it for so long, i don't even get an adrenaline rush when going to a major call." or the "if it's really going, it will still be going when i get there." or the "if I make the truck, great, if I don't, no biggie." so they don't rush. the new guys are eager, they want to get on the engine ASAP, and put the fire out.

my last comment will be what the public wants. the public wants a rsponse of 1 minute. they want to hang up the phone with 911, and see the engine/ambulance pulling up on scene. if the public didn't want us to rush to the scene, they wouldn't permit us to use lights and sirens on the BRTs. so while i don't condone unsafe drivers, I think some people aren't trying to look at this from all points of view.
    couldent say it better, i run lights,i dont speed to the scene or base,tho im usely first or 3rd on it. depneds where it is i live in center of town 5 miles to fire house and 5 miles to the ambulance. dead center. town is small but during the summer it is a tourist spot,and alot of lil kids and traffic and some times when some one is drowning or having a heart attack the golden hr takes play FAST. so i run lights,dont abuse them nor do i go light happy. i do if for the safty of myself,and others around.

Forum Member

I'm only 18, and I live on Long Island, New York, where tons of people have blue lights. I can see both sides of the debate, and I can agree with both as well. Like a few of you said, "When I was younger, I used to love my lights". Since I am "young" I'm sure I'll be 'Light Happy' for a few weeks, but I'm sure ill get over them quick.

Now, heres my two cents on the debate:

Where I live, there is HEAVY, HEAVY traffic on the roads no matter what time of the day it is, especially during the summer months. Although I live about a mile from my dept, lights are needed. Are Fire Dept. consists of 100 vollys, and 25 paid guys. Thankfully most of the 40,000 people who live in my town (well... city actually) do pull a side when they see the flashing blue lights. I do think that every volly should be able to buy lights if they want, and must honk / hold their horn down when nearing corners, red lights, stop signs, school zones, etc.

Question

Here's a question I have. How come the lights are blue? Whats the story about this being the color? In Wi. their red. Also why don't they (Govt) make them all be one color? How many and which states are blue, red or any another color?

Quote Originally Posted by ltkeith25 View Post
    Here's a question I have. How come the lights are blue? Whats the story about this being the color? In Wi. their red. Also why don't they (Govt) make them all be one color? How many and which states are blue, red or any another color?
    In NC, all Sheriff's Depts., Police Depts., the Highway Patrol and SBI use Blue Lights, or a combination of Blue/red lights. Red lights are used by all other Public Safetys Depts.(fire, rescue, ems). Green lights are used by rent-a-cops and purple is used by funeral homes. Possesion/use of a blue light in a vehicle, other than by LEO is an arrestable offense, for obvious reasons. Each State sets its on laws (States Rights). As to how many states are which color, I don't know. But for the most part, in the South, Red lights for Fire/Ems, Blue lights for LEO. I hope that this helps and is clear as mud.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    In NC, all Sheriff's Depts., Police Depts., the Highway Patrol and SBI use Blue Lights, or a combination of Blue/red lights. Red lights are used by all other Public Safetys Depts.(fire, rescue, ems). Green lights are used by rent-a-cops and purple is used by funeral homes. Possesion/use of a blue light in a vehicle, other than by LEO is an arrestable offense, for obvious reasons. Each State sets its on laws (States Rights). As to how many states are which color, I don't know. But for the most part, in the South, Red lights for Fire/Ems, Blue lights for LEO. I hope that this helps and is clear as mud.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Virginia is the same with the colors, however, I do not think that possesion of a blue light is an arrestable offense as it is in NC. Which is a real pain in the butt for visitors to NC. Had a buddy from upstate New York come down to our place in the OBX last year and almost got arrested on rt 258 for having his blue light on his truck. He is his Department Chief and it is obvious from his NY tags and chief plate up front. NC really needs to put some wording in the law to allow for out of state firefighters just passing through.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Never say never, never say always.
    Yes, I have a good LED lighting package in my truck. Paid very little for it, due to low friends in high places. No, I don't use it for every call, and I will rarely use it at night, unless there are a decent amount of cars on the road.
    They key is selecting which calls to take the risk and go lights to, and which to go normal traffic.
    Drive safe Brothers!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Virginia is the same with the colors, however, I do not think that possesion of a blue light is an arrestable offense as it is in NC. Which is a real pain in the butt for visitors to NC. Had a buddy from upstate New York come down to our place in the OBX last year and almost got arrested on rt 258 for having his blue light on his truck. He is his Department Chief and it is obvious from his NY tags and chief plate up front. NC really needs to put some wording in the law to allow for out of state firefighters just passing through.
    There's an easy solution to that . I've talked to police officers in both nc and SC and they claim the best way for a northern firefighter emt etc to not get hassled is 1.) take it off, 2.) cover it up 3.) keep amber lenses to replace the blue when you visit the southern states. 4.) buy led's and don't activate them when here.

I truly am not trying to start a problem just helping the tourist firefighters from the north that come here for fun to avoid the hassles by passing on the words of wisdom from some LEO's I know.
    Originally Posted by the1141man
    IACOJ is what Firehouse should have been to begin with, and what it now couldn't even aspire to in its wildest dreams.- the1141man

the opinions typed in the above space are mine and mine alone

Quote Originally Posted by smokeater1310 View Post
    There's an easy solution to that . I've talked to police officers in both nc and SC and they claim the best way for a northern firefighter emt etc to not get hassled is 1.) take it off, 2.) cover it up 3.) keep amber lenses to replace the blue when you visit the southern states. 4.) buy led's and don't activate them when here.

I truly am not trying to start a problem just helping the tourist firefighters from the north that come here for fun to avoid the hassles by passing on the words of wisdom from some LEO's I know.
    I got one better....

don't put lights on the roof!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Had a buddy from upstate New York come down to our place in the OBX last year and almost got arrested on rt 258 for having his blue light on his truck.
    I spend 2 weeks on the OBX each and every year and have been doing so for the last 15 years......never have any problems......wonder if it could be because I have no blue lights........hmmmmmmmmmm
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I spend 2 weeks on the OBX each and every year and have been doing so for the last 15 years......never have any problems......wonder if it could be because I have no blue lights........hmmmmmmmmmm
    That is a little weird......................... .............................. ................I bet you don't get speeding tickets while driving the speed limit either!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Ok is anyone from I think it is Arizona? There is one state that the tow trucks run blue, again I think it is Arizona. What if the towing company tows to your area will they arrest them?

Quote Originally Posted by medicd View Post
    Ok is anyone from I think it is Arizona? There is one state that the tow trucks run blue, again I think it is Arizona. What if the towing company tows to your area will they arrest them?
    I believe tow trucks in Canada run blue, dont know of any US state that have tow trucks with blue lights.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Thread Information