Forum Member

Question

Here's a question I have. How come the lights are blue? Whats the story about this being the color? In Wi. their red. Also why don't they (Govt) make them all be one color? How many and which states are blue, red or any another color?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ltkeith25 View Post
    Here's a question I have. How come the lights are blue? Whats the story about this being the color? In Wi. their red. Also why don't they (Govt) make them all be one color? How many and which states are blue, red or any another color?
    In NC, all Sheriff's Depts., Police Depts., the Highway Patrol and SBI use Blue Lights, or a combination of Blue/red lights. Red lights are used by all other Public Safetys Depts.(fire, rescue, ems). Green lights are used by rent-a-cops and purple is used by funeral homes. Possesion/use of a blue light in a vehicle, other than by LEO is an arrestable offense, for obvious reasons. Each State sets its on laws (States Rights). As to how many states are which color, I don't know. But for the most part, in the South, Red lights for Fire/Ems, Blue lights for LEO. I hope that this helps and is clear as mud.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    In NC, all Sheriff's Depts., Police Depts., the Highway Patrol and SBI use Blue Lights, or a combination of Blue/red lights. Red lights are used by all other Public Safetys Depts.(fire, rescue, ems). Green lights are used by rent-a-cops and purple is used by funeral homes. Possesion/use of a blue light in a vehicle, other than by LEO is an arrestable offense, for obvious reasons. Each State sets its on laws (States Rights). As to how many states are which color, I don't know. But for the most part, in the South, Red lights for Fire/Ems, Blue lights for LEO. I hope that this helps and is clear as mud.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Virginia is the same with the colors, however, I do not think that possesion of a blue light is an arrestable offense as it is in NC. Which is a real pain in the butt for visitors to NC. Had a buddy from upstate New York come down to our place in the OBX last year and almost got arrested on rt 258 for having his blue light on his truck. He is his Department Chief and it is obvious from his NY tags and chief plate up front. NC really needs to put some wording in the law to allow for out of state firefighters just passing through.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

makes good girls go bad

Never say never, never say always.
    Yes, I have a good LED lighting package in my truck. Paid very little for it, due to low friends in high places. No, I don't use it for every call, and I will rarely use it at night, unless there are a decent amount of cars on the road.
    They key is selecting which calls to take the risk and go lights to, and which to go normal traffic.
    Drive safe Brothers!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Virginia is the same with the colors, however, I do not think that possesion of a blue light is an arrestable offense as it is in NC. Which is a real pain in the butt for visitors to NC. Had a buddy from upstate New York come down to our place in the OBX last year and almost got arrested on rt 258 for having his blue light on his truck. He is his Department Chief and it is obvious from his NY tags and chief plate up front. NC really needs to put some wording in the law to allow for out of state firefighters just passing through.
    There's an easy solution to that . I've talked to police officers in both nc and SC and they claim the best way for a northern firefighter emt etc to not get hassled is 1.) take it off, 2.) cover it up 3.) keep amber lenses to replace the blue when you visit the southern states. 4.) buy led's and don't activate them when here.

I truly am not trying to start a problem just helping the tourist firefighters from the north that come here for fun to avoid the hassles by passing on the words of wisdom from some LEO's I know.
    Originally Posted by the1141man
    IACOJ is what Firehouse should have been to begin with, and what it now couldn't even aspire to in its wildest dreams.- the1141man

the opinions typed in the above space are mine and mine alone

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by smokeater1310 View Post
    There's an easy solution to that . I've talked to police officers in both nc and SC and they claim the best way for a northern firefighter emt etc to not get hassled is 1.) take it off, 2.) cover it up 3.) keep amber lenses to replace the blue when you visit the southern states. 4.) buy led's and don't activate them when here.

I truly am not trying to start a problem just helping the tourist firefighters from the north that come here for fun to avoid the hassles by passing on the words of wisdom from some LEO's I know.
    I got one better....

don't put lights on the roof!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Had a buddy from upstate New York come down to our place in the OBX last year and almost got arrested on rt 258 for having his blue light on his truck.
    I spend 2 weeks on the OBX each and every year and have been doing so for the last 15 years......never have any problems......wonder if it could be because I have no blue lights........hmmmmmmmmmm
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I spend 2 weeks on the OBX each and every year and have been doing so for the last 15 years......never have any problems......wonder if it could be because I have no blue lights........hmmmmmmmmmm
    That is a little weird............................................. ..........................I bet you don't get speeding tickets while driving the speed limit either!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Ok is anyone from I think it is Arizona? There is one state that the tow trucks run blue, again I think it is Arizona. What if the towing company tows to your area will they arrest them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicd View Post
    Ok is anyone from I think it is Arizona? There is one state that the tow trucks run blue, again I think it is Arizona. What if the towing company tows to your area will they arrest them?
    I believe tow trucks in Canada run blue, dont know of any US state that have tow trucks with blue lights.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    I believe tow trucks in Canada run blue, dont know of any US state that have tow trucks with blue lights.
    I've never seen a Tow truck run blue lights. However snow plows in certain provinces use blue lights to signify being a snow plow. Tow trucks generally run amber lights.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Back to the original question. Why are so many threads on this issue posted and not issues like training, response, protective equipment, SOP's or any number or truly operational issues that may arise? The answer is simple. Most volunteers like blinky lights. There are many in my department that spend more on lights than the department does on repairing or replacing existing lights on the fire equipment. I do have lights on my vehicle. I come from quite some distance to the station. Also as a department officer I am authorized to respond directly to scene and bypass the station. That being the case I have hide-a-way LED's on my vehicle to keep traffic away when parked on the side of the road.

That being said I would much rather see discussions on training and department operations and the light issue to go away. If they are allowed and you don't act like a fool then use them. If not don't. Let's get to issues that are critical to volunteers that make up 85% of all Fire Departments and 80% of all firefighters.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I've never seen a Tow truck run blue lights. However snow plows in certain provinces use blue lights to signify being a snow plow.
    That might have been what I was thinking of
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    Back to the original question. .....There are many in my department that spend more on lights than the department does on repairing or replacing existing lights on the fire equipment. ......
    hyperbole?

Forum Member

OMG. What do we have to do to stop the wackers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roch207 View Post
    It's kinda entertaining

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roch207 View Post
    I am afraid to say that in some places, if the wackers left, the fire department would be empty
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information