Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down What Is It With Blue Lights

It seems to me there are alot of threads covering bluelights in this forum. Seriously why is having a bluelight on your POV seem to be the hot topic in here? Do we now as volunteers concern ourselves with how much light we can put on our vehicles and need to talk about it with a national audience. Maybe we should use a valuable tool such as this to share ideas on such things as training, responding and recruiting success stories and ideas. It could be that i am just sour on bluelights; but hey thats just me or is it? If i am way out of line here just let me know. While postng this thread may sound hypocritical it is somthing I needed to say and this is all I will say on the issue.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

I would have to say the reason for so many posts about blue lights or lights on POV's is because so many places (not all but many) allow Volunteers to run with blue lights. Alot of the discussion I see is what lights are perferred and work best, of course I don't pay much attention to them posts so I may be wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, personally I think K-Mart has clearly
    demonstrated the value of Blue lites

I think that Lights In POV's are about as usefull as tits on a bull...Like I've said before I can get to my station just as quick as I could with no lights at all....People think that with lights they are untouchable...Well lights or no lights your still at fault if you kill someone...

Why there is so many threads on it..People won't take the extra second to search their query and make a new thread...And then they wonder why we all get so aggrevated
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default Blue Woooo Woooos

As we close the 2004 Softball/Convention Season and look foward to the Nomination/Election/Banquet Season of 2005 in the Volunteer Fire Service I see Blue Lights are still on the Discussion Plate.

I'll admit in my younger years I used a blue light....I thought I was the man in charge of traffic....You know young, dumb and full of ......Well anyway....

As I got older, Became a Fulltime Firefighter/EMT and found much more useful tools and the means to train with them U.F.O. Lighting on my vehicle became a thing of the past.

Where do you see all the Blue Flashing, Strobing, Wig-Wagging, Blinky Lights ???

On the Vehicles of what we call 2 / 20 Veterans....Been around 2 yrs. act like they're in 20 years or the type that thinks that because they where a fire helmet that they're a professional firefighter

I'm still an active Volunteer outside of my Career Job and I live 3 Miles from my Volunteer House....Guess what I'll get there when I get there.....I've actually pulled over for some of the Nit-Wits from my company for fear of being clipped while responding. Or for Temporary Blindness caused by all the strobing and flashing

We really don't need the lights....Most responders live with in Reasonable driving distances to the fire station 0-4 miles so why have 'em ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Blue light issues

I am going to weight in on this issue with some points to ponder

1). Look at your parking lot during drills and after calls. What you will see is the young guns with enough lights to guide the space shuttle back to earth while the older members will have only one light in the whole vehicle.

2). If you are at the station and a call comes in - look to see which members get to the station first and from how far away they are from the station. You will again see the young guns that live farther away getting there quicker than the old-timers.

3). See what happens when a new fire equipment or warning light catalog comes in. The young guns start drooling over the latest lighting package and try to see if they could fit them in their vehicle. The old-timers look over the items and try to find things to make the job easier or safer.

All of the above observations I have made over my 22 years of being a member of my department. I always remember what a past chief told me when I was talking about buying lights for my car. He said " All of the lights in the world are not worth a penny if you get in a accident and become part of the emergency instead of part of the solution". As a Captain I try to explain to the newer members not to become light crazy and spend your money on training, knowledge and better equipment.

Be safe out there
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

I don't think it's any secret that I hate blue lights with a passion. They make people speed and act like crazy people for no reason. That's why we banend em almost 10 years ago. There's a group of wackers(1 old guy and couple NEW guys) who want to bring em back, but it won't happen.

I don't think you should interchange young and wacker here. I'm in my late 20s, and I don't fool around with that non-sense. And a lot of our younger guys(early 20s, even our juniors) think blue lights are ridiculous.

YOu'll get there when you get there, and why fly to the station when the paid crew is on duty. You won't make the truck unless we're out back doing yard work anyway.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Default Re: What Is It With Blue Lights

Originally posted by CAPT8005
    It seems to me there are alot of threads covering bluelights in this forum. Seriously why is having a bluelight on your POV seem to be the hot topic in here? Do we now as volunteers concern ourselves with how much light we can put on our vehicles and need to talk about it with a national audience. Maybe we should use a valuable tool such as this to share ideas on such things as training, responding and recruiting success stories and ideas. It could be that i am just sour on bluelights; but hey thats just me or is it? If i am way out of line here just let me know. While postng this thread may sound hypocritical it is somthing I needed to say and this is all I will say on the issue.
    Why so many? Because people keep making new topics asking why. What was going through you mind when you started this one? If you can see it is a subject hostility, why would you start ANOTHER one jsut see for sure?? That's like saying "this can of gasoline sure seems flamable. Maybe I should throw a match on it make sure!"

Seriously, this is so stupid, just reading the topic was agravating that someone could be so oblivious. You obviously read the other 5 million threads on this so please explain why this was neccessary? Think think think before you engage the keyboard.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Originally posted by SpartanGuy
    I don't think you should interchange young and wacker here. I'm in my late 20s, and I don't fool around with that non-sense. And a lot of our younger guys(early 20s, even our juniors) think blue lights are ridiculous.
    to respond to what you said, usually it is the younger crowd that gets tons of lights and strobes in their car. but there are also times you will find older married guys with kids who have more lights on their car than a fire engine will have. you really can't blame this on the young guys. and most people do grow out of it after a couple of years.

Originally posted by SpartanGuy
    YOu'll get there when you get there, and why fly to the station when the paid crew is on duty. You won't make the truck unless we're out back doing yard work anyway.
    hahahahahahaha!!! that is a great argument, except that most departments don't have a paid crew on duty!!!

if you got an onduty crew that will take the call, rushing won't help. especially if they are going to handle the call with that one engine. and if it's a worker, they will be rolling everything anyway, so your bound to get a seat on a truck.

I got to say, I like blue lights. I have one on my windshield (note, I said one, not a christmas tree or a lightbar). i'm 22. my department don't do station shifts, we respond for all calls. so spartan guy, your last argument, while a good one, doesn't apply to me, nor does it apply to the 80% of other volunteer departments in the nation.

if you are a paid FF, then of course you will be deadset against them. you don't need them, nor do you have any use for them. you are in the station when a call comes in. You aren't going to miss the truck if it takes you 15 more seconds to gear up.

old timers are the same way. they have the "been there, done that" reaction to a fire. that's the "i've been doing it for so long, i don't even get an adrenaline rush when going to a major call." or the "if it's really going, it will still be going when i get there." or the "if I make the truck, great, if I don't, no biggie." so they don't rush. the new guys are eager, they want to get on the engine ASAP, and put the fire out.

my last comment will be what the public wants. the public wants a rsponse of 1 minute. they want to hang up the phone with 911, and see the engine/ambulance pulling up on scene. if the public didn't want us to rush to the scene, they wouldn't permit us to use lights and sirens on the BRTs. so while i don't condone unsafe drivers, I think some people aren't trying to look at this from all points of view.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default my light

I am going to chime in on this topic this once. I too have seen the numerous threads on this and it usually gets very heated very fast.

I will state that my light (a dual LED dash mount) is NOT for my benefit. I am on a strictly volunteer company and I am the furthest away. I have to travel several blocks of back streets through some residential areas where the roads are maybe 20-24 feet wide on my way to the house. People park on the street, back out of their driveways, and in the morning and night love to walk around. There are also many kids. I chose the LED because it is the most visable even with my highbeams on at night. I do not travel excessively fast, though I am doing more than 25. I use my light to draw attention so people walking see the sings and trees lighting up and just have a clue someone is comming. Same thing for on comming traffic, though sometimes I won't see a single car on my way to the house cars that are oncommming tend to pull over and give me plenty of room (like I said the road can be narrow at times). I want to be seen unlike some of you who like to slip under the radar.

Jeff
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

I still think its funny that folks get on here and bash anyone for mentioning blue lights.
    Hey if You dont want to her about the "light" disscussions, simply scroll down to the next thread. I understand that everyone has their own opinion on the subject, but why judge someone for having a dissimilar opinion. Someone mentioned that it is usually a phase that volunteers go thru and usually outgrow with time. Let it happen, when you tell someone not to do something, most will continue out of spite.

I am sure there will be more recruits who will pose a "suitable" question for you to answer. I would sugesst waiting for those questions to impart your profound wisdom.

In closing , However you get to the station , do it safely,a nd get there in one piece !

HOwdy.........I usually dont chime in these topics, I am amazed about some of attitudes on here about POV warning lights.........we have always used them and we follow the procedure set forth by the State of Ohio to run lightbars, dash lights, grill lgihts, etc. It is like anything else in the fire service..........THEY MUST USED and here is the key word RESPONSIBILY !!!!!!!! They fit well in our town, we do get the rare complaint and it is handled. In no way does it make you a whacker, looser, goof etc.........I really think it all boils down to what is accpeted in YOUR region. And no I am not some 2 & 20 year person........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Re: Re: What Is It With Blue Lights

Originally posted by nmfire

Why so many? Because people keep making new topics asking why. What was going through you mind when you started this one? If you can see it is a subject hostility, why would you start ANOTHER one jsut see for sure?? That's like saying "this can of gasoline sure seems flamable. Maybe I should throw a match on it make sure!"

Seriously, this is so stupid, just reading the topic was agravating that someone could be so oblivious. You obviously read the other 5 million threads on this so please explain why this was neccessary? Think think think before you engage the keyboard.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!
    Some of us are Leaders and some are Followers...get out of the way cause im taking the Knob!

www.westmead2.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't have to worry about blue lights cause we use red lights and sirens. But seriously it's regulated by dept. and our dept. won't let us use them which is fine by me. I get there just as fine without L&S living a mile away, I am still able to make the first truck out everytime.

Different departments and different geographic locations have different needs in terms of lights or not. If folks can't give any advice on threads asking for it, they should just STFU and save their comments for the ones dealing with the lights or no lights arguements.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Do A Search On Lights Dennis And You'll See How Many Threads There Are About Lights In POV's....Its Unreal...Someone Even Tried To Hide It By Naming Their Thread Hi And You Read It...It's Like What Kind Of Lights Should I Put In My POV...
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

I don't see the big deal about responding POV with lights and sirens. As long as the FF is driving with due regard for public safety the emergency lighting and audio warning serves the same purpose as the equiptment installed on the BRT. It allows the responding FF to respond faster while alerting the public to his presence. It also makes no since to say that a fire department can't trust it's members to act responsibily with lights and sirens on their POV but that same person is trusted to climb behind the wheel of a truck hauling several tons of water and equiptment. Now that agressive and inmature person that you say shouldn't have lights on their POV is allowed to barrel down the highway and through school zones in a vehicle which has significantly more momentum and brute force? Where is the logic in that? If you have someone who is too hotheaded to operate his personal vehicle safely do you really want to be on a hose team with this person? If you don't alow your FFs to respond with lights and sirens on thier POVs then you might as well pull the lighs and sirens off or your pumpers and rescue trucks too because those same people will be drivng them as soon as they get to the station.
    The fact is most respond from home volunteers can be trusted to act appropriately and use light and sirens on their POVs in a safe and responsible manner. Those not capable of doing so have no business driving the bigger and more dangerous vehicles provided by the department (the BRTs) and probably shouldn't be anywhere on the fire ground. Strict SOPs regarding POV response should be developed by each department and enforced without exception. Those who can't follow the rules should be dealt with right away to prevent further problems.
    I have been running lights and sirens on my personal vehicle for years with no problems. I follow my departments SOPs, seek defensive driving training from my department (and from surrounding districts) and video tape every POV response I make using a dashcam. Anytime there has been a complaint made against me regarding my POV resonse to a call I have played the footage of that run to demonstrate that at no time was I operating in a careless or reckless manner. Besides, I'm not gonna tear up my car getting to someone elses emergency.
    So if your department lets you run lights and sirens, act like an adult and arrive alive. If your department doesn't allow the use of lights on POVs then get to the station as safe as you can, make a truck and, if you are driving, respond Code 1 (silent) just as you would in your POV so as to not startle or confuse any of your fellow motorists. The emergency will still probably be there after you have sat at every red light in town or waited patiently for every nut in town to make that left turn across 2 lanes of traffic.
    ------
    The photo in this post is of a POV used by one of our members to respond either to stations or directly to the scene of various emergencies in our district. The truck has a full strobe bar on the roof, double stacked strobes on the dash, wigwag headlights and strobes in the rear window. Siren is a Federal with a 100 watt speaker. And no he's not a Chief officer but was our 2003 FF of the Year.
    ---
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cellblock; 10-30-2004 at 08:21 PM.

All I Can Say Is Wow...Most Chiefs Here Have Single Dash Lights...And Maybe...A Big Maybe Headlight And Tailight Strobes..And Then Sirens..And They Can Be Seen Perfectly Fine And Could Probably Move As Much Traffic At That Thing....No Need For That Many Lights

Having Said That I Do Agree With What You Say....If You Act Responsibly And Drive With Due Regard They Can Be Ok...Those Who Don't Simply Should Not Be Able To Use Them...
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 10-31-2004 at 12:25 AM.

Ryan

ndvfdff33,

Learn when to use the shift key.

I'm one of the old guys. Thirty five years in the fire dept. I use a blue light. I have one in the car's trunk, or behind the pickup's seat, or maybe in the garage. I'm pretty sure that I used it sometime within the last 5 or 10 years. See, I use it.

Thread Information