Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Post Written test, study or not to study?

Just wanted to know what everyone thought. Im gearing up to start testing for a department that I really want to get hired onto in Jan. I talked to some of the FF's and they told me their department uses a aptituded type test and that only the top 50% move on. Im not overly worried about the test( I do have some collage under my belt and back in high school took ACT and SAT ). I just want to make sure that I nail this test so that I am on the top of the list. Should I study and if so what would help me. Any response would be great. I want this job more than anything!!! thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I find that a great many of those that fail our testing process do so through the mistaken belief that because they graduated with a high school degree several years ago that they will have no problem with the test. Then they either cannot remember the stuff or they use bad exam techniques and run out of time. remember if you dont use it you lose it. My advice is to get a book on fire dept testing procedure from one of the big bookstores and study your butt off.Do some of the practice tests, time yourself.

Good luck with the test when the time comes

My advice is to get a book on fire dept testing procedure from one of the big bookstores and study your butt off.Do some of the practice tests, time yourself.
    AHH, beat me to it! ditto to the above advice. It's not about what you know, it's about how to take the test. The only way to, I shouldn't say the only way, the best way to do well is to take practice exams. When you're done - take another, and when you're done - take another...

I'm sure you get the picture. Good luck.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

I was in the same boat as you. Young kid, thought I knew everything, just finishing a college degree. Went in and took the test without studying. Told everyone I was going to be a firefighter. I got a letter the day after Sept 11th telling me I didn't pass the test and wasn't going to be a firefighter! Talk about feeling dumb.

I spent the whole next year studying the book the department has available for all candidates and waiting. I read all I could about the fire service and even got Capt. Bob's material. I managed to get on during the next process and have been loving it ever since.

It is the greatest job in the world without a doubt.

If you really want it, lay it all on the line and go for it.

If not, don't waste your time or the departments.

--- Just another note, don't forget about the physical aspect of the job. Workout as hard as you study. We had three guys in our class quit/get fired because the pt was too hard.

--- Just noticed you are in Indy. Just so you know, their web site states that they have about 1500 people competing for 30 spots. So you only have to want it more than 1470 other people!
    Last edited by shznyt; 11-09-2004 at 10:20 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by shznyt
    I was in the same boat as you. Young kid, thought I knew everything, just finishing a college degree. Went in and took the test without studying. Told everyone I was going to be a firefighter. I got a letter the day after Sept 11th telling me I didn't pass the test and wasn't going to be a firefighter! Talk about feeling dumb.

--- Just noticed you are in Indy. Just so you know, their web site states that they have about 1500 people competing for 30 spots. So you only have to want it more than 1470 other people!
    I hope no one thinks that I think I know It all. Im just trying to get a feal for what to expect on the test. Also Im more or less looking at the township departments as well as Hamilton county departments

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I hope no one thinks that I think I know It(it) all. Im just trying to get a feal(feel) for what to expect on the test. Also Im(I'm) more or less looking at the township departments as well as Hamilton county departments.

Just wanted to know what everyone thought. Im (I'm) gearing up to start testing for a department that I really want to get hired onto in Jan. I talked to some of the FF's and they told me their department uses a aptituded (aptitude) type test and that only the top 50% move on. Im(I'm) not overly worried about the test( I do have some collage(college) under my belt and back in high school took ACT and SAT ). I just want to make sure that I nail this test so that I am on the top of the list. Should I study and if so what would help me? Any response would be great. I want this job more than anything!!!thanks (Thanks!)

Not trying to knock ya, but I think one thing that would help you immensely is to brush up on your English skills. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm serious. You will be judged on your ability to communicate in writing.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks dmleblanc, I understand what you are saying about the gramar and I appreciate your honesty. I have a tendecy of getting in a rush and not going back and proof reading when I type.

Forum Member

Why study when you can slip them a few Mr. Franklins ?

Forum Member

With all do respect what kind of a jackass question is "should I study for the test." Of course you should, everyone pretty much has taking an apititude test but all test are different. My question is why risk not doing well just because you took the SATs. This is your career we are talking about here, come on man.

Thread Information