Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Training Ideas

MembersZone Subscriber BurnCMSFD's Avatar

Default Training Ideas

As the rescue training officer for my department im always looking for innovative ways to keep training interesting. And im sure all the guys who read this have some great ideas for training. So what do you say we all throw down a session or two, of a class and hopefully we can all gain through this, and apply these classes/scenarios to our situations.

I usually write out a lesson plan for the instructors of what we are going to do. I don't like to tell people what we are doing if we are doing scenario based training, it gives them to much time to think about it. We have vehicles brought in via tow company and we set them up with our winch in positions that simulate a wreck, and we smash them and take the spreaders to them if there in good shape. I usually have 4 inst. helping with the drill or less. I have the crews stage away from the vehicles so they don't see till they arrive on scene. We usually have one inst as dispatch, one safety, one or two watching to critique the good and bad when finished. We may also place dummies or live victims in cars. This is how I would write a drill up.

Objective: At the end of training technicians will know how to adapt to just using Hand Tools.

Scenario: It will be a MVAx2, one on the side and one on all fours, they will be improvised to not allow easy access. Placed in one car will be rescue randy and a child mannikin, in the other a live victim. Units will be paged to incident, with location, number of vehicles,time of incident, and type. Upon arrival after they do there size up and see they need heavy hydraulics and they get them out, one of us will go over shut the pump down and say it is out of service, and they cant use the back up pump. From that point on they are only allowed to use hand tools (hk porter,american,rs10) are ok. The incident will be videoed for future viewing, and radio traffic will be also recorded with video. Time into incident will be announced every 10 minutes. Inst. will not direct them, only stop them if a hazard is present.Officer in charge will request for resources and anything else needed via radio.

Equipment Needed: Vehicles, Rescue truck, absorbent if there is any release of product, video camera, brooms and shovel to clean up.

Personnel Needed: 1 Safety Officer, 1 Video person, 1 Victim, 1 or 2 Observers, 1 dispatcher(which is usually the video Person).

Time Needed: 2 hours or less setup time before trianing night. 1 hour limit on the scenario's. (Usually do two). 10 to 15 minute critique. Cleanup 20 Min.

Thats one of ours, kinda of a rough draft dont' have all day here, hows about posting a drill you do?
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Default Oh well

I see we have a bunch of achievers on here, 138 views and no one wants to share a training idea. They must be pretty good ones to keep them to yourself. Thanks to anyone who post, we are helping each other and people that we serve.
    burn

Forum Member

BurnCMSFD writes:
    I see we have a bunch of achievers on here, 138 views and no one wants to share a training idea.

I think you're jumping to the wrong conclusion. I looked just to see what others are doing in the way of training - our training is embarassing at best. We can go for over a year without any extrication training at all, and when we do get a couple cars to take apart, that's what we get - a couple (as in TWO) cars. They sit side by side, and a couple guys will pop a door. A couple more will take off the roof. Someone will peel the dash. But we don't want to do too much, because the other two shifts will use those same two cars!

Myself and a few others have taken advanced extrication classes and commercial vehicle extrication classes at the state fire academy, so a few of us know what's what, but none of our white shirts seem the least bit interested. And yes, I did put on a drill once, and guess who wasn't paying attention? The same guy who overrides my decisions on an extrication scene because he wears a white shirt (but has zero training in extrication!)

So don't just assume nobody's replying because everyone's hoarding all their techniques to themselves.
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Default Correct, my apoligies

Ed you are right, about jumping to conclusions. Please all, accept my apology it was uncalled for. Now let me go crawl underneath a pancaked vehicle.
    burn

here's something that I had but as it was in MS Word, the formatting didn't make the jump to the web. I'll see what I can rig up for you when I get a chance.

Shane

Vehicle Lifting Principles

Module: Principles
    Time Required: 2 hours
    General Objective: At the end of this module the student should possess the general foundation of knowledge necessary to learn and apply different rescue equipment as it applies to lifting a vehicle.

Main Facts

Focus of training
    A. The Golden Hour
    B. Team Work
    C. Personal Safety
    D. Scene Safety

Approach to the accident scene
    A. Gathering information

Rescue Equipment
    A. Pneumatic Lift Bags
    B. Hydraulic Spreaders
    C. Jackall
    D. Hydraulic Ram
    E. Stabilization
    F. Others?

Teaching Points

A. The time of the accident to the time of the patient receiving surgical intervention.
    B. Promotes safety and speed with efficiency.
    C. IS OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE
    D. IS EVERYONEíS RESPONSIBILITY

A. Mentally prepare for a confirmed pinned
    B. Scene size up
    C. Hazard assessment & control
    D. Inner/Outer circle
    E. Squad briefing

A. Lifts a lot of weight, slowly and unstably
    B. Fast, but may tear into vehicle
    C. Usually last ditch, but very portable
    D. Useful on higher vehicles or apparatus
    E. Lift an inch, crib an inch

Lifting Techniques
    A. Vehicle on wheels
    B. Vehicle on side
    C. Vehicle on roof
    A. Watch for movement in all three axises, horizontal, vertical and roll
    B. Very unstable, difficult to lift without tilting over.
    C. Difficult to properly stabilize
    It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep

Thread Information