Unhappy Need Info On Fire School

Help Me,
    I am currently going through EMT school in Florida, with 2 months left till I graduate, and I need to get into Fire school. I'm trying everything I can think of to get some sort of Student Loan for it. I have my physical challenge for St Pete Fire College in Florida on the 13th of November. School starts in January. If anybody has any hints or info on something that might help me please respond.

Thank You,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by EMTNikon1; 11-07-2004 at 11:06 PM.

Assistant Chief

Question

Around here if you get on a volunteer or paid on call department they pay for the training. That's how I've gotten myself through FF1, FF2, HazMat Tech, MPO and EMT-I.
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

Here in marion county, they love to hire within...so i'm volunteering while i go through EMT school THEN i'm going to ride with a local ambulance company to gain experience WHILE still volunteering. they should supply you with your training

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Financial help

I haven't heard of any scholarship type things for fire school, not saying there isn't any though. Back in '94, I was a vol. for a small dept. that couldn't afford to send me to the regional academy. I new I wanted this career, so I got the dept. to sponsor me, worked it out with my boss to take 3 months off work (was willing to quit if I had to), then had to get a very large co-signed loan to cover my tuition, salary, bills, and loan payment 'till I could get back to work, and then put myself through it.

It's not easy, but you have to get creative. Like my dad always said, you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. Got the career after less than 1 year out of the academy. The debt caused by earning this career took over 5 years to climb back from, and I would do it all over again.

Good luck,

Kevin
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Default Thanks

Kevin,
    Thank you for what you submitted. So far it looks like thats what i'm going to have to do getting a personal loan. It is worth it.

Thank You
    Jonathan

Thread Information