Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Angry Town Votes Not To Support Family Of Lodd Firefigher

I was a call firefighter in a town that bordered Lancaster, MA and was a career Firefighter in a city that bordered Lancaster as well. I find this disgusting and a slap in the face to any police officer, firefighter, or EMT that works for the town.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com...510741,00.html

Town votes against giving benefits to fallen firefighter's family

By Shari Duffy, Sentinel & Enterprise Correspondent

LANCASTER -- Town residents voted against providing Martin McNamara V's widow and family with annual death benefits following his death fighting a fire in November 2003.

After waiting anxiously for several hours as the town's votes were counted, family members of fallen Lancaster fire fighter Martin McNamara V and his fellow firefighters were left stunned and visibly distraught.

Just 18 votes separated those who were against a tax override that would have raised local taxes 7 percent for one year to fund an annuity to pay the McNamara family annual benefits. The final vote count was 1,615 against, 1,597 in favor with 170 blanks.

McNamara's father, Martin McNamara IV, reacted sharply to the defeat, saying there were 30 call firefighters in Lancaster who "just got a message from the town people that said if you lose your life, it isn't worth it to us."

McNamara later added his gratitude for those who did vote in favor of the override.

One Lancaster firefighter shouted as he left the polling location "This town just sent these guys a message and the message is they don't give a crap. The townspeople just said 'Stick it.'"

Lancaster has an all-call, or volunteer, fire department.

McNamara, a call firefighter from Clinton, was killed on the morning of Nov. 29, 2003, the day after he turned 31 years old while battling a fire in the basement of a home on Mill Street. He left behind a wife, Claire, and three small daughters.

Jim Buck, a member of the committee to support the McNamara family said they intend to seek a recount. Town Clerk Susan Thompson also said there were 29 provisional votes -- votes taken by people who claimed they were registered in Lancaster but whose names were not on the voter registration lists, that could be added to the final count if they are validated as legitimate Lancaster voters.

At the Annual Town Meeting last May, voters overwhelmingly supported purchasing a $650,000 annuity to be used to provide McNamara's widow and three children an annual death pension equal to two-thirds the annual salary of a first-year firefighter. It would also allow the McNamara family to purchase town health insurance. Voters at that same town meeting also improved coverage for all call firefighters to ensure that if another call firefighter is killed in the line of duty, the town will have the insurance to provide for the family.

Had voters approved the override, residents would have seen their tax bills increase by approximately $140 for every $100,000 in property for one year only.

Chairman of the Selectmen Joanne Foster said she was saddened by the result but vowed "we are not going to let this family go without any benefits."
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Nothing like giving your all for a community and then having that community kick you in the groin.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Man what a slap in the face. I dont know what all the conditions were but when you put your life on the line for someone else as we all do on a daily basis and the people you serve dont ever show you respect it definitly is a wake up call.
    Steve
    Lietuenant 107
    Morton Township Fire/Rescue
    "Good to Go"

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

I think that I would have wanted the benefits on the front end (at the time of hire) than at the back end. At least, you knew the benefits were there before a tragic incident.
    So; now, if I'm the rest of those firefighters, I think that I would re-examine the risks vs. benefits thing.
    Perhaps they should get their annuities NOW, in writing, and then they won't have to worry about it should something happens.
    My heart goes out to the McNamara family.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

This is the same town that hemmed and hawed a bit on whether to pay for the poor guy's funeral. This is a really small little town of a few thousand people. No real tax base. The stations that they run out of are about a hundred years old and are literally falling apart.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

The town's decision is morally indefensible! I hope these people don't profess any kind of religious affiliation, because they obviously have no compassion. It was a one-time tax to care for the family of a man who lost his life protecting his community. Unbelievable!

I'm struggling a bit here- on one hand I agree that it is a slap in the face, but on the other hand, if I was a resident I wouldn't want a tax increase to pay for this.

This is something that should have been in place from the Lancaster City, not something that tax payers should fund.

I don't know- this is a hard one....
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm struggling a bit on this one, too. Here are my thoughts...

1. The town governing body ought to be thrown out on their ear, including the fire chief. To allow that FD to operate without the appropriate insurance protection is borderline criminal.

2. I agree that I would not WANT a tax increase to pay for this. However, I think that I would have a moral obligation to support the tax increase simply because it is the right thing to do.

3. I have always advocated that a town can have whatever level of fire protection it wants to pay for. If they are a small town with no real tax base, then they can contract with someone else for fire protection. If they want to have their own FD, PAY FOR IT!

4. Every one of those fire fighters now knows what the value of their lives is. It has been established by the residents. It is $140.00. They should all take their equipment to Town Hall, dump it on the Mayor's desk and close up shop. Quitting is not something I advocate for something stupid. This is not something stupid.

Forum Member

Originally posted by lutan1
    This is something that should have been in place from the Lancaster City, not something that tax payers should fund.

You make it sound like the city has a printing press out back where they print up money. The city gets money from the taxpayers. If the taxpayers aren't funding the city, how can the city be expected to fund this?

MembersZone Subscriber

This is just unbeliveable, how could you vote against this? If I was one of the firefighters there I would quit. I am surprised that there was nothing in place for death or disability. Doesn't the State Worker Compensation provide anything?

This is a lesson for everyone, check to see what your department would provide if you were injured or killed, you might be surprised by the answer.

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

I too think that I might consider saying to hell with being on the FD.

If they dont want to pay LODD benefits the let them realy pay...let them try to hire or contract their fire protection.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation UNF*#%ING BELIEVABLE!

First-

This is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The Chief of that dept should immediately issue an order that all responses from now on are Non-Emergency. No entry is to be made UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Or if this is an all volly outfit everyone should just look out for themselves and stay home.

We always claim that the brothers come first. Well this is a chance for them to stick to that claim. Don't place yourself in danger for some ungrateful Sh*tbag citizens.

Second-

Lutan were you shaken as a child? Just where in the hell do you think the city gets money from? The reason they had a referendum was to get the taxpayers to give money to the city to help this brothers family for life finacially.

For anyone who thinks the above is harsh on everyone...including those who voted for the measure should realize that this would place a fire under everyones ***** to get something passed.

Now more than ever remember the following...

F*** The Mutts - Protect The Brothers
    Last edited by FFFRED; 11-03-2004 at 08:14 PM.

I am normally one who lets people **** me off and I am still nice to them. This however has enraged me. I don't think the whole town should be penalized for this though.

What I would do is get a list of people who voted against it. Plop that information into the dispatch center. If the call is at one of their residence or the license plate at the MVA comes back to them, stop what your doing at $140.00 worth of effort and supplies. No going interior. No extrications. No HazMat. No lights & sirens. And send them a bill for the fuel used by the trucks and your personal vehicles. Oh, and each one of them gets a mailing with the firefighter's picture and picture of his entire family without him there. Certified mail.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I cant beleive this *****

Interesting responses. Granted, the town should have had the policy in place before hand, but no one ever thinks that this will happen to them, so they don't do it and then get caught.

As for the state laws, I could not tell you how they work. The family did get state and federal survivor benefits.

As for the fire chief, this town has had some MAJOR problems in the past few years. The former chief resigned after being routinely turned down year after year for capital expenditures and equipment and a sense of not having the support of the community representative. This department has literally done everything with NOTHING. They have just appointed their first full-time chief this past year and he is going to have his hands full getting things done.

This town only has roughly 60% of its land as taxable. There are several churches, 2 state prisons, and a church based university in town that do not pay taxes. The university and prisons pay a yearly payment in lieu of taxes though, but it obviously comes no where near tax value. There are also a few monestaries sitting in town as well as the Perkins school for the Blind. And many of the newer residents in town are buying or building some very large homes that are costing well over $300,000. Good for them, but $140 is not a lot to ask.

Thumbs down

That is sick and wrong .............although I may not like the tax increase it is only for a year and for a good cause ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Before I blow...

This depaertment...w/o a pot to **** in...has a full time fire chief? Why? Where did they find him...monster.com?

If he is full-time Chief, and he has allowed this FD to operate w/o the appropriate protection for the members, it IS criminal.

Easy George. The guy has only been on the job for a couple of months. Prior to that they were operating with a part time interim chief. This is quite the small town. I don't think chief has even unpacked his boxes completely yet and the list of things he needs to fix is very long and I think he's still compiling it.

Wow- that got a response!

I'm not anti the tax, what I'm saying is why should I as a tax payer be asked to cough up more when the city should already have protection in place.

It's rough to ask for more from families that may already be cash strapped. What happens to the next LODD family in this city? Do they have to pay more? Where does it stop?

However, if the tax was already in place, it wouldn't be such an issue...

As for some of the comments-
    Lutan were you shaken as a child? Just where in the hell do you think the city gets money from? The reason they had a referendum was to get the taxpayers to give money to the city to help this brothers family for life finacially.
    AS per above. Where does it stop? It should have already been in place.

You make it sound like the city has a printing press out back where they print up money. The city gets money from the taxpayers. If the taxpayers aren't funding the city, how can the city be expected to fund this?
    I'm sure other staff members of the city are covered by insurance. I'm sure the Mayor and others are covered! Why not the FD? As I've said (numerous timnes now)- it should already be in place. Where does it stop?

2. I agree that I would not WANT a tax increase to pay for this. However, I think that I would have a moral obligation to support the tax increase simply because it is the right thing to do.
    Got no issue with that, but moral obligation or not, some people probably can't afford even the slightest increase.

What I would do is get a list of people who voted against it. Plop that information into the dispatch center. If the call is at one of their residence or the license plate at the MVA comes back to them, stop what your doing at $140.00 worth of effort and supplies. No going interior. No extrications. No HazMat. No lights & sirens. And send them a bill for the fuel used by the trucks and your personal vehicles. Oh, and each one of them gets a mailing with the firefighter's picture and picture of his entire family without him there. Certified mail.
    Yeah right....
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    Easy George. The guy has only been on the job for a couple of months. Prior to that they were operating with a part time interim chief. This is quite the small town. I don't think chief has even unpacked his boxes completely yet and the list of things he needs to fix is very long and I think he's still compiling it.
    OK, that makes sense. But I still have to ask why does this town have a career chief? If it is a small town with no tax base, that must mean that there are very few calls for service. You can buy alot of insurance with the money you would be saving by having a volunteer chief.

Thread Information