Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Air Bag stablizers

How do most of you operate your bag systems? I think we are looking to operate ours with our Engines air brake systems, even tho I also know you can use a SCBA cylander. What are the problems and plus's with each, if you don't mind...

SCBA cylinder.
    Pros - Portable, many available, adequate pressure
    Cons - sometimes they run out and have to be refilled.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

My question would be using the term "Stable" when talking air bags. Bags are designed for lifting, not stabilization.

MembersZone Subscriber BurnCMSFD's Avatar

Default Air bags

I would imagine you will still use a regulator correct? If it is hooked up to the truck and you have a incident that is a ways off the road you will need a long hose or two to connect to the bag(s), which increases tripping hazards, communications problems, may even decrease your pressure if you are far enough away. Chance of getting containiments in line, even though there is a filter on truck.
    With scba's less hose to trip over, better commuincations, usually plenty of air to do a lift, less chance of getting any condensation in hose or other foreign bodies.
    my two cents
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Forum Member

Only as a last resort would I consider using the truck air system.The main reason was mentioned by BurnCMSFD,Containiments within the system, when was the last time the compressor on your rig was check, cleaned or even tested to see that it's providing the proper psi needed for your operation. I would stick with your SCBA bottles, they are certified, hydrostatic tested, and are available to you without question of there operation. We operate our air bag system using SCBA bottles or our on board air system, both low pressure and high pressure through a breather box, or our high pressure manifold station. Hope I was helpful. Stay safe.

Forum Member

Yea Ok I see what you say. I think it would be best to use the SCBA, instead of the rig on the LIFTING bags (corrected). Thank yall, I think we would have enough SCBAs, cause I think we are about to buy 10, with 10 spare tanks. Thank ya so very much.

Thread Information