MembersZone Subscriber

Scsufootball84 -- Like I said, I wasn't sure. I just think that if you have too many different addresses (college, your residence and then stuff going to your parents) it might cause them to look more closely at things. I'm not saying your doing anything wrong, I'm just suggesting to everyone who's taking the test in the future to make sure you check everything out ahead of time. The worst thing is to work at this for two friggin years between the written, the physical test, finally get called and get screwed over a technicality or something.

bam -- any idea how many pull ups you need to do on the first day. I know someone said it somewhere, but I can't remember.

Jim
    martinez24@comcast.net

Forum Member

Thanks for the information. This is a real pain in the *** moving from another state. I checked out the faq's page but that was rather ambigious I will try calling up DCAS and getting more info.
    Martinez-I heard it was 4 pullups for the first day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys, dont worry too much about the pull-ups. The 1st day 9of actually training) they'll give you a "PT" test/. If you cant do the sit-ups - 30 in a min, push ups 30 in a min, or the pull ups (4) dont freak, they'll have you go to remedial for a few weeks. Plus by the time the final PT test comes around you'll be in shape. I couldnt do more then 2 pull-ups the 1st day, when I left I did 6... So don't worry! Just worry about the RUN, YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE THE MILE AND A HALF IN UNDER 13 MINUTES THE 1ST DAY!!! ON THE LAST DAY YOU HAVE TO DO IT IN UNDER 12!!!! But dont worry cause with all the running, you'll be in shape by the end...

P.S. Jim I just got your e-mail tonight, I just got it in from work, hang in there bro! I'll e-mail you back as soon as I get some sleep, Talk to ya soon bro! Keep the faith!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Holy Smokes Bro'!!!

Muttly,

I only just caught on that you did get picked up. Congratulations!!

I figured you'd have put up the "I'm in!!" post.

Thanks for any insights so far. Hopefully you'll be able to provide more if necessary.

bam

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks! It was well worth the wait.!
    No problem, I know that when I got on it was hard not kowing what to expect (exciting but still unnerving LOL), if you guys need anything please dont hesitiate to ask!

MembersZone Subscriber

hey muttly, any good tips on the academy?...i dont have any hooks, but i was told that the top few guys get to choose where they go, or get closer to it anyways, so anything you think would help would be greatly appreciated. thanks again bro

fro

Forum Member

Yeah muttly what the hell I didnt even know you were in yet. What company are you at? Also what was the work level like, the test ect. Just curious.
    Take it easy bro,
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

FRO516BMX:

As far as I know only the validvictorian(sp?) gets his top pick, (as long as its within reason). Towards the end of the school you'll get a "wish" list, they give you the roster where companies are, Batt's Divisions (ect.) But, the class that is getting out in December from what I heard the other night can only chose companies in certain divisions and battalions(not sure if its true but its very possible)

fdnyrules71:

You get weekly quizes on the subjects that you learn 3 days prior ( I think it was 3 days) They arent hard as long as you keep up with the reading and listen to the instructors, DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!!!! They are there to help and teach you, so the only stupid question is the one you dont ask, or the one you ask on test day!... Just like in H.S. there are other tests and such but as long as you PAY ATTENTION, and KEEP UP with the reading you'll be fine.

Good luck bro's if you need any other advice or help let me know. I made it the whole 13 weeks without a roll-up ( you'll know what I mean soon enough!) haha!

MembersZone Subscriber

hey muttly thanks for the tips, i appreciate the good wishes....and i wanna say thanks to all the guys on here for the same, and for everyone trying to throw every little thing they heard to try to keep us all up to date and everything...its been a big help and good to know that there are good guys out there that want this job as bad as i do...and as dumb and cheesy as it sounds i hope from the bottom of my heart everyone of you guys makes it on (and im sure you will)...anyways....with enough of the violins and such, ill leave it at that...

fro

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by fdnyrules71
    ....I was going to pick up 2 utilities, change my license, voter registration, mailing address for the FDNY.....
    ...and a bank account!!!
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

HOW FAR DOWN ON THE LIST DOES FDNY GO. HAS THE CITY EVER HIRED AN ENTIRE LIST IF SO WHAT R THE CHANCES OF THIS HAPPENING. ALSO ARE THERE ANY FOLK FROM OUT OF TOWN THAT HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTIN HIRED

Forum Member

I'm a firefighter from Ohio, aced both written and physical, and ended up list #2027. Keeping fingers crossed. I'm sure as the list goes on, more and more people will pass on the job or not meet qualifacations. That is generally what happens out this way.

Forum Member

FDNY reached the last passing grade on the last list, #7029. That, however, was because of the ridiculous hiring taking place after 9/11 (not for deaths, but retirements). The chances of them reaching the end of the list are very low even if there was another terrible situation, b/c the dept as a whole is very young.

#2788....

Forum Member

On all other list except for the last one the FDNY has reached 3000. The department has an "unofficial" cutoff of about 95%. This is what I have heard from numerous sources but it isnt written in stone. Hey Mutt when you get a chance care to comment on the daily physical fitness activities you did in the academy? Take it easy brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive also heard about the "traditional" cutoff, but it doesnt make any sense to me because if the cutoff is 95 and they get to 3000, then how am I sitting at 3286 with a 97.6, nothings adding up here brothers and its very frustrating. keep the faith and be safe

Forum Member

I have 8 years of Ohio Army National Guard, Honorable Discharge, but not sure if 30 college credit hours still needed. Anyone know if this time will meet standards or will I still need the 30 hours? Thanks, Todd

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm pretty sure you're going to need the college credits. DCAS says you need to have 2 years of active duty, or the college credits. I don't know if they'll let you piece that 2 years together (if you have it) or if it's 2 straight.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll give you guys a little explanation of what the old cuts offs came from.

You had lets say 20,000+ take the test. Now the legal cut off is somewhere in the 70% range. That one is set by DCAS and civil Service law. Everyone who makes that cut gets a list number on the final list.

Now a list is good for 1 year and can be renewed by the Commish for another 3 for a total time of 4 years a list will be used to produce probies.

Now before 9-11 and probably from this point on most classes at the Rock were 90 to 175 probies 3-4 times a year. This made the list move slow. So by the time 4 years had rolled around the list was only into the 3000's or so and about the mid 90s range on the list. A new list would be made and the old list killed off.

Just because all those people passed with low 90s, 80s, & 70s didn't mean they are gauranteed a job.

Combine the factors of a smaller than usuall list and the MASS hiring done in response to record numbers of retirements and you had list #7029.

Just remember we all had to go through it as well.

Best of Luck to those on the new list.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

WHEN IS THIS TEST UP. BE FOR THE HEXT TEST IS PUT OUT

Forum Member

FFthomas9: The current list # 2043 expires on May 5, 2008. It was established on May 5, 2004 the lists last for exactly 4 years. The next test will be available to apply for in Oct 2006.

Does any one know approx what list # was reached for December ?

Woundering if the anticipated was reached in the 400-500 range

Wish you all the best of luck

MembersZone Subscriber

i know for a fact they reached list #428....how far past that i have no idea

=)

They reached list # 428? That's awesome news, FRO....

The December class is right around the corner, and again, I wanna wish all those who made it THE BEST OF LUCK. Seize the moment, brothers.

DB

MembersZone Subscriber

> The next test will be available to apply for in Oct 2006.

Which would probably mean the test won't be given till early 2007; the physical test in fall 2007 and establish the list May 2008... as we have all learned through this process on list 2043

If they reach 500 by December, that would be awesome news, that would mean those of us just over 2000 might get a call up in a year.

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

FRO - If you don't mind me asking how do you know for a fact that they reached List #428! Just want to know because I am just over 500!

Thanks,

MembersZone Subscriber

the person who is #428 is a friend of a friend, and he told me that this guy (a cop) got his letter and was leaving the job like 3 or 4 days after i got my letter....so i know for a fact

Thread Information