Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default Prince George's County Courthouse Fire

Sorry to see that neat old court house go up, sad.

So, anybody here on the forum make it to that fire?

Hwoods?

What caused it?

Any fire stories to tell?

I would imagine that a lot of important paper work went up. Is it going to affect any FDs in the county?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Retired - no war stories here, but the news reports say that the records were removed before the renovation started. The biggest part of the story to me is the shutdown of the sprinkler system, which had been installed during an earlier renovation.

Lots of info here: http://www.thewatchdesk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Exclamation

Looks like the contractors may have down something to cause this fire. I would guess law suits are going to be pending, so We may not here to much, since PG County probably has invoked a gag order!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

That is going to be one hella huge clean up bill.

Is the building salvagable at all or is a complete loss?

Oh, and yess I agree that the lawyers are probly drinking Red Bull and workingk 24 hours a day getting ready for this battle.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yup!

All of the above is the right answer. There was no loss to any records or furnishings. The area that burned was the original 1880 Courthouse, and was completely emptied of everything except the walls and floors for a 27 Million dollar renovation. There were reportedly 3 minor injuries to Firefighters, none to Civilians. Our Tower Ladder went on the 3rd alarm, from about 20 miles away. It's early yet, but there will be another building on the footprint of the one that burned. Just how much of the original can be salvaged is still undetermined. This is only a small part of the whole County Courthouse Complex, and except for evacuation, then cancellation of the rest of the day's work, life will go on, unimpeded. I am not in a position to say much more as I am not involved in this matter at this point. You can go to the County Government website for more info. I would be remiss if I did not publicly thank the Brothers and Sisters who came to help from Seven other juridsdictions, some from 40 miles out. There were a number of other events that were happening that day, including auto accidents with extrication, Brush Fires, (one at 12 acres, another was 6) several other unrelated building Fires, and the usual 1,000 Ambulance calls. Thanks to all for your concern. Harve
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information