Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default FF Volunteer Question

Hey if I'm attending college in a city that is not my permanent residence ie. I live in the dorms but I would have to return home when they close like for Christmas or in the summer. Would I be able to volunteer for the city that I'm attending college in?

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

That would be a question for the city department. Go by and ask, I am sure that you will get the correct answer.

that would depend on a bunch of things

1) does the city your going to college in have a volunteer department?
    2) do you have a car? if not, do you have a way to get to the firehouse?
    3) if that city doesn't, does a nieghboring city have a volunteer department that doesn't have a residency requirement?
    4) do they have a leave of absense program for when you return home?

all of these questions you should ask of your local department

best of luck
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Hello Jshortest

These are our rules on college students joing

Any student 18 or older that is at least a sophomore and is able to serve two years and is also sponsored by a permanent resident of the town who is an active memebr can join.

We have 8 students being voted on in December

Hope this helps but just ask.

What city are you in.

Well I stopped by the city fire department after school only to find out that they don't have volunteers. The man at the desk did mention that some counties around the area are volunteer teams, but so far I haven't been able to find any information on them.

Jeremiah I'm in Statesboro GA attending Georgia Southern University. If anyone is invovled around this area or knows some of the counties with the volunteer teams I would really appreciate any information you could provide me.

Originally posted by Jshortest
    Well I stopped by the city fire department after school only to find out that they don't have volunteers. The man at the desk did mention that some counties around the area are volunteer teams, but so far I haven't been able to find any information on them.

Jeremiah I'm in Statesboro GA attending Georgia Southern University. If anyone is invovled around this area or knows some of the counties with the volunteer teams I would really appreciate any information you could provide me.
    http://www.statesboroga.net/s_fire.html
    According to their website they do have some volunteers. I would call the Chief's Office. Some departments have such small volunteer departments that some Career guys at outlieing stations and shifts might not even realize they exist. That is sadly how it is in our department. A few stations have very strong Volunteers, while others only exist on paper or not at all. but any volunteer can ride at any station in the county, some career guys are aware of this, and some are not.
    So just give their chief a call. Fire Chief Joe Beasley at 912-764-6154 or 912-764-6155.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    http://www.statesboroga.net/s_fire.html
    According to their website they do have some volunteers. I would call the Chief's Office. Some departments have such small volunteer departments that some Career guys at outlieing stations and shifts might not even realize they exist. That is sadly how it is in our department. A few stations have very strong Volunteers, while others only exist on paper or not at all. but any volunteer can ride at any station in the county, some career guys are aware of this, and some are not.
    So just give their chief a call. Fire Chief Joe Beasley at 912-764-6154 or 912-764-6155.
    http://www.register.volunteerfd.com/sfd.htm This one even give the names of their volunteers. Give the Chief a call.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thanks the info DennisTheMenace. I'll be sure to give them a call tommorrow to clear up this conflicting information I have recieved.

My dad was a live-in student for all of college, he has great stories from it, and says they were some of the best times of his life. Definatly pursue this possibility.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thanks the info DennisTheMenace. I'll be sure to give them a call tommorrow to clear up this conflicting information I have recieved.
    Great! What did you find out?
    -Big Russ

Well I called and I didn't get the Chief, but the guy I talked to was very helpful. I got the numbers of two volunteer fire departments near my school and their Chief's numbers. I gave one of them a call today, but no one was in so I will try again on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Well i got some bad news today when I called up the VFD Chief he said that I have to live in the district to join. So I guess I'm out of luck, but I'm going to stop by the paid department one last time to see if their is anything they can do for me. Other than that does anyone else have any ideas?
    Last edited by Jshortest; 11-09-2004 at 09:19 PM.

Well i got some bad news today when I called up the VFD Chief he said that I have to live in the district to join. So I guess I'm out of luck, but I'm going to stop by the paid department one last time to see if their is anything they can do for me. Other than that does anyone else have any ideas?
    Get the names and numbers for the volunteer guys in that station, just don't give up until you talk to those guys first.
    -Big Russ

Thread Information