Default Grant Award/ Gear Washer ?

Our department recently got the award for a turnout gear extractor/washer. I was wondering, what makes and models are people using? Should I go for the 55 or is the 30 pounder sufficient?

Im in Massachusetts if anyone in this neck of the woods has gotten one of these units and can even go so far as to recommend a dealer/vendor I'd be grateful. So far all Ive been able to find is Continental/Gibrau for a manufacturer.
    Thanks for your time
    Eric

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'd go for the big one. We have two different sizes between 2 of our stations. Luckily mine has the big one, but the other station has to wash their pants and coats seperately because the drum isn't big enough in the washer. Ours is big enough we can stick in two sets of the smaller sets in at once.

My choices are 35 pound, which will do 2 sets of gear, and 55 pound which will do 3 according to the salespeople. Prices jumpfrom6800 to 8500 respectively

MembersZone Subscriber

The department I used to work for bought a washer that was supposed to wash one full set at a time. It didn't. The department I work for now was in the market for a washer and had the good sense to do some research and decided to go with the next bigger model. It will wash a full set with no problems.

What the salesperson claims and what actually works may be entirely different. If there's any way to try before you buy, I'd go that route.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

FH Mag/.com Contributor

For the 1700, get the 55. The one at my station is the 55, and it will do one set perfectly. If really in need it can do 1.5 sets (1 set and either pants or coat from another set) without a problem. But 2 sets of normal sized gear won't fit. The salesfolk probably are saying 3 if you don't put in the vapor barriers and just wash the skin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gear Washer

If you go to brockportfire.org there is a link to a company called "Milnor" where we got our gear washer from. These washers are specially made for the purpose of washing turnout gear. You can also wash linens for ambulances and rags in them. We have had excellent luck with ours in the two years we've had it. We couldn't have asked for anything better. The other machines we investigated were nothing more than commercial washers like you would find in a laundromat and they don't last long. We put the link on our site because we thought all departments should know about them. Good luck and make sure to check out the Gear Guardian machines.

Forum Member

Check out the Wasco-Mat commercial washer-extractors available through Nelson & Small in Portland, ME. We bought one for $4,598. which included installation. I think it's 45 pounds. Does an excellent job.

We are located about one hour North of you if you want to check it out.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Thread Information