Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GS upgrades

Default GS upgrades

How does everyone feel about this upgrade? What are your thoughts about the future of Federal Firefighters? What was added to your job desriptions? Do you think you are making out better or have they added more duties?

orms

Forum Member

Default How do I feel about it?

I'm thrilled I got it! Considering that the firefighters working for the City FD on the other side of the base fence average about 15 K a year more than me!

For the future? We will have to wait and see with the new NSPS system.

Nothing was added to our PD's, as we already had EMT and HazMAt as a requirement.

With no added duties of course we are making out better...

cbaafge89 or ncfd17 or whoever else

Do you know if FORT CAMBELL HALL got thier upgrade?
    Last edited by mattdog240; 11-08-2004 at 12:57 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its ok.....still think they should have used the % based pay system.

You get 5% incentive of your base for being an EMT and 5% more for being a Haz Tech

Now if your and EMT-P you get 10% and additional 5% if your a Haz Tech.

If you drop your EMT you loose the 5% Incentive pay

Forum Member

Lightbulb GS Upgrades (Kentucky)

Good living in Kentucky. Very cheap to live.

Forum Member

Default Fort Campbell

Are you referring to Fort Campbell in Kentucky? Fort Campbell is a good place to work. As marine12 stated, it is cheap and federal ff jobs would be considered good work around there. Do the guys you mentioned work there? I would like to hear what they have to say about the place.

MembersZone Subscriber

I feel that the OPM and the DoD Fire Working Group need to get together before they start something they don't have the answers to. We as Federal Firefighters have been trying to do so much to standardize across the board so we all get the same training and pay grades and they come along with one vague Classification Guide and really ruin alot of work. The DoD 6055.6M was put into place in May of 2000 and the new OPM guide in March 2004. There was no mention about what we were to do with personnel who had HazMat certifications but were not certified otherwise to their level. There was no mention about how to allow firefighters to catch up training so they could get Driver Certifications if they were to be required for the GS-07 HazMat Technician position. OPM put out the guideline and then left everyone to themselves to work out the "fine" details. Not an effecient way to do business. I want all the guys in our department to get the upgrades but it seems the disparity between the two publications is going to leave some surprised and angry. The upgrades is a good thing, changing from a three rank fire department to a two rank fire department required more thought, planning and straight information from the start.

Forum Member

blazehaze: You wrote There was no mention about how to allow firefighters to catch up training so they could get Driver Certifications if they were to be required for the GS-07 HazMat Technician position.

What do you mean? D/O certs are NOT grade-controlling criteria for the upgrade to GS-07. If your base FD performs the function of BLS/EMT or HazMat, or requires you to have EMT or HazMat Tech certs, that is all that is needed for the upgrade.

Yes, OPM should have done a better job. It is confusing. Having said that, we have guys that got the upgrade to GS-07 for either BLS or HazMat who DON'T have all the required D/O certs. They are NOT grade-controlling. However, the reclassification also says to be a GS-07 you need to provide BLS or HazMat AS WELL AS meet the requirement of GS-06, which normally means all the D/O certs your base requires...

MembersZone Subscriber

Driver Operator certifications were not grade controlling for the "upgrade" but now any addition to a position description is considered a promotion by the OPM standard. Our CPOC is giving us a headache while we are trying to get our firefighters under the new standard.

Forum Member

Default I guess I just dont get it...

"but now any addition to a position description is considered a promotion by the OPM standard".

Could you explain a little please for us slow F/F's? I still dont get it...
    You mean if a base adds something to the PD it is considered a promotion?

MembersZone Subscriber

No, What has happened is that when the CPOC looked at the position descriptions that had the added duties, they classified the positions at a higher level. Now they "promoted" my Lead Firefighters to the GS-08 level but my Driver's and Firefighters have to get "promoted to their levels spending 52 weeks time in grade at each level if they haven't held the grade before. You can add stuff to PDs all you want, not everything as you said is grade controlling. However in this case the HazMat seems to have thrown my CPOC for a loop.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Latest Lie From Hunter

Subject: Upgrades

To All Personnel,

Currently Mr XXXXX has put a hold on all RPA's pertaining to any upgrades. He is going to revisit the issues that he was made aware of during his meeting at HAAF last week. If you have any questions on your personal situations I ask that you please be patient until we here from CPAC. Please use your Chain of Command for this and all of your issues. I ask that you please have patience concerning personnel matters. HAAF FD Operations is not the only area with in the department that is short handed. If you have questions and you don't receive an immediate answer from me please follow it up to me with an email, sometimes situations are prioritized and I'll lose track of your situation or concern. I am trying to handle each of your individual requests, but I have also been handling day to day functions of the department. The urgency changes almost as soon or fast as a door opens to the office or a phone rings or an email is received. We are trying to resolve personnel shortages as soon as the systems permits. Unfortunately the system is slower then we would like it to be.

Again please use the Chain of Command for your request for information. It will only be redirected back here to gather information.

Deputy Fire Chief (acting)

FS/HAAF

Fire and Emergency Services

Thread Information