Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Cool NCTS Returning to Mansfield Motorsports Speedway

For any of you who are race race fans and have always wanted to come out to a NASCAR event to be part of the action, the Nascar Craftsman Truck Series (NCTS) will be returning to Mansfield Motorsports Speedway on May 14-15, 2005. I am told that last year there was some misunderstandings between Mansfield Fire Dept. and either their Mayor or the track itself, but hopefully that will be resoved this year. I would hate to see Ohio lose this event because of local politics.

Anyway, for anyone who might be interested in helping out at the race in 2005, send me an e-mail (ran812@aol.com) with your names, address, a phone number and your level(s) of training and I will see that the right people get your information. We hope to be able to offer a weekend training session in early Spring to help everyone prepare for the big race. CEUs are being explored at this time.

We need around 70 people to pull this thing off safely, so spread the word! Hope to hear back from you!

PS - if you are interested in the Cleveland Grand Prix next June 2005, let me know when you e-mail me and I'll pass your name along to those folks as well.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 11-07-2004 at 03:02 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Hey Richie ................thanks for the info !!!!!!!! hows everything there ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Rich - do you work with Gene Pence on any of these details @ MMS?

Be very wary of dealing with MMS safety crews. For some reason they only want outside people, not locals???
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Originally posted by pfd3501
    Rich - do you work with Gene Pence on any of these details @ MMS?
    Yep... I am his "pipeline" to get people in his address book. I spent a couple days with Gene and Carl Reichart at the NASCAR R & D Center in Concord, NC for training a couple weeks ago. Since I have done some recruiting for the Cleveland Grand Prix, i kind of got "volunteered" to help out with this event. Big things are coming to Mansfield Motorsports Speedway... as long as they can mend some fences.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Originally posted by ff7134
    Be very wary of dealing with MMS safety crews. For some reason they only want outside people, not locals???
    Don't get the Safety Crews and the track management and/or the local politicians mixed up. Whatever happened with the locals this year was caused by someone outside of the "grunts" working on the track. I have been pushing to have the track work on fixing whatever is broken... but I am a pretty small "indian" in the operation.

All that I know is that apparently something was offered that the track could not afford to pay for. Who made this offer? I have no idea. The result was a plea made to the "locals" telling them to avoid the NASCAR event at Mansfield Motorsports Speedway. I am not sure who made that plea, but I do know it resulted in some people backing out of helping at the event. So, the "locals" were invited, but chose not to help on their own.

It should be noted that a staffed Mansfield FD Engine was assigned to the facility 24/7 for at least 3 days (actually, I think it was longer) and there were Mansfield Fire personnel operating a fire cart in the spectator areas during the event. I don't know, but I have to assume that these were overtime assignments.

At any rate... please don't kill the messenger here. I am just trying to do what I can to keep NASCAR in Ohio. If the NCTS does well at Mansfield, it is very likely that Busch Grand Nationals will be visiting there in the not so distant future. However, if a local squabble develops, I am sure NASCAR has other tracks that would like to have these races at their venues.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Actually the problem is the person "in charge" of track safety and fire, nobody around here trust him. And most of the "ill will" from the locals is due to comment made by him. He told track management that he could find better trained people from Ashland county. Sorry to say but Richland has more highly trained personnel. If that person was not involved their would be no problem finding trained people from the immediate area.

I am not here to kill the messenger, just warning others to beware.

As for the message that got around, all the local depts work very well together and we stand united when someone tries to pull a fast one.
    Last edited by ff7134; 11-08-2004 at 12:56 PM.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

I am not here to get into a debate over "he said, she said" and "my department is better than yours". All I know is that if Mansfield, Ohio wants to keep major racing events at this track, it would be beneficial for the Mansfield community to support it. You have a choice. You can either be part of the problem, or you can be part of the solution. Whichever the case, you and I are not in a position to resolve the matter on this forum.

If nothing else, let's just agree to disagree. I don't want to cause any hard feelings.

Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

UHm Ritch,,,,,,, you really didnt say how you are doin ? How is metro Orrville ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Originally posted by Weruj1
    UHm Ritch,,,,,,, you really didnt say how you are doin ? How is metro Orrville ?
    Ritch?? You mean Rich I am sure I am not unwell, thank you for asking. Well, actually I have a bit of a cold at the moment, but it is that time of the year. Orrville is basically fireproof, which isn't a bad thing, except it makes the guy on the FD a bit cranky.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Originally posted by ff7134
    Actually the problem is the person "in charge" of track safety and fire, nobody around here trust him. And most of the "ill will" from the locals is due to comment made by him. He told track management that he could find better trained people from Ashland county. Sorry to say but Richland has more highly trained personnel. If that person was not involved their would be no problem finding trained people from the immediate area.

I am not here to kill the messenger, just warning others to beware.

As for the message that got around, all the local depts work very well together and we stand united when someone tries to pull a fast one.
    I hate to see something like this turn into a our county against your county thing. By nature of our district we work with several Richland County depts that we share borders with. It usually goes smoothly.

As far as the amount of training goes, part of that is the fact that you have more departments that have full time people. Which means more people trained to 240 hours. And I'll have to give you and Mifflin Richland props, I've been to classes through your department, and sent people through Mifflin Richland, and you guys have turned out some good people for us.

Thread Information