Forum Member

Default Natural Disaster

Hey I was wondering if your town had a natural disaster (flood, earthquake, hurrican(sp) would you be used in the response? Explorers and Jr. may post.

Forum Member

I'm not a junior or an explorer, but I know that when we were mitigating the massive flooding resulting from the remnants of hurricane Ivan in December, all three of our juniors were put to work, and were out later than they technically should have been, but since our control center only technically activated us for one call that night(that being, man your stations for disaster mitigation), we grandfathered em in past the 1am restriction under the assumption that they were operating on one call that lasted beyond the time limit.

Trust me, we needed every hand we could get. And in a natural disaster of any magnitude, you'll need em. BUT they need to be supervised, and should not be in any situation that qualifies as an IDLH environment, just as normal.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Would we be used? Yup.

We wouldn't be put in any IDLH, or otherwise unsafe environment. If it truely was a natural disaster, we would be having trained/certified people coming to help.

Forum Member

We are to be activated for a tonardo warning. We set up shelter ops at the station, man it, help the ff's in any way possible. Wash trucks after, tear down shelter, etc. Also, if there were any other significant storm or whatever, we would probably be activated.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

we have not had any of thoes natural disatters in a long while. but we did have a huge ice storm last year. we had over 200 runs in 36 hrs. we were busy riding with the trucks to clear trees, stand by at downed wires, P.I. accidents ant the structure fire we had when the power came back on.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

Our post is also a CERT team with some extra USAR training, when we get a tornado warning we usualy meet at a station and wait for it to hit. When we have a flood we usualy get placed as spotters at certain spots, durring any other disaster we just act as a cert team.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Thread Information