Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ben 2 helmet

Forum Member

Default Ben 2 helmet

I have searched and searched but I still have one question. I am getting ready to buy a Ben 2 helmet with the EZ flips and the ESS goggles but I am trying to figure out if I want it with the built-In ESS Goggle Retention System or just with the goggle strap around the outside of the helmet. Also those of you that have it with the built in system, is it just the regular goggles but just inside of the helmet?
    Last edited by sdfd504; 11-08-2004 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Member

Well I had it narrowed down to the 1010 and the Ben 2 but I like several features on the Ben 2 better. One is I will have it on a helmet peg and I like the the loop better then the 1010. Also I know it is just looks but I like the eagle better on the Ben 2. The 1010 is just a cheap piece of metal with an eagle printed on it. Plus I like the way the Ben 2 feels on my head. It fits better then the 1010

out of curiosity (and nothing more), why are you planning on buying a ben 2, instead of a cairns 1010 or a conway traditional plastic?

Personally, I'm not a fan of goggles. I think safety glasses are more comfortable to wear, and don't get ruined when you take them into structure fires and you leave them on your helmet.

P.S. face shields are even worse. get a cheap pair of amber safety glasses, they are well worth the $10 you'll spend.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

I love my benII, i used to wear a 1010, ur comparing apples and oranges. I felt the 1010 was cheap piece of plastic, I also am not a fan of goggles, but if you dont get the mounts for the goggles, there not going to stay on ur helmet to well
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Stick to the flip downs. Goggels tend to retain debris and melt. The flip downs are less expensive to replace and won't fog....IMO.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Well I like having goggles when I am doing extrication or doing something like that because there is no way anything is going to get in your eyes. Also if I am going inside I won't need the goggles because I would have a SCBA on and that is why I was asking about the Retention System. Can the goggles be taken out of it when you don't need them? Also I am looking at getting a goggle garage so they won't get messed up in a fire.

We have Ben II's with goggles on the helmet. They are on the helmet with just the strap, no harness attached. I personally do no like the goggles left on the helmet. They get dirty fast, hold debris, and get melted very easily. I keep mine in my bunker pants pocket in a velvet bag. (Crown Royal bag to be honest. Hey, its velvet and they fit!!)

I love goggles for extrication, as long as they don't fog up. Goggles give you the best protection you can have so why not use them? I have used safety glasses too but sometimes the helmet makes the glasses fit way to tight around the ears.

It's just your personal preference what you want to wear and how to wear it. Just know what is allowed by your department so your not breaking the rules.

Keep your head down and powder dry.

Definatly get the goggle retention system. Also, I would have gone with the 1010 but as with the goggles vs. saftey galsses is personal preference.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

We use Ben 2's with ESS goggles. They have a strap that goes all the way around. The strap tucks up under the rear part of the helmet near the ratchet. There are 2 clips near where the chin strap attaches which is the pivot point for the goggles to swing to the back of front of the helmet. To prevent the goggles from taking a beating and getting all dirty, we use the "goggle garage" sdfd504 mentioned a few posts above and as is pictured below.

MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Cool

I currently have a Ben 2 and I love it, it is very comfortable and it is a lot lighter than a leather helmet. I have a faceshield on mine, though. But because I wear glasses, I would have to use goggles or a big pair of safety glasses to supplement the faceshield in an extrication. Just my 1 and 1/2 cents.
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

I use a Ben II with Bourkes, good for quick, short-term use. I have a set of ESS goggles in my pocket. I like the snap-on, snap-off setup (I've no idea what the manufacturer calls it) easily assembled on the brim of the helmet. This keeps the goggles reasonably clean, provides for easy use, and doesn't weigh the helmet down.

I absolutely hate shields. They're good for keeping the rain out of my face. Not much else.

Much as I like the Ben II, I'd love to try a leather helmet. They're just too expensive. One day, maybe. I'd still stay with the Bourkes and the separate ESS setup.

Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the help. I am going to order it with the retention system and I will get the goggle garage also. Thanks

Forum Member

The Ben II is way more comfortable than any Cairns helmet (not to mention fits better and feels lighter). I have used both helmets. We have goggles, although I use safety glasses as my primary eye protection. I carry them in a seperate case, not on my helmet.

Forum Member

Congrats on bringing back a dead topic. And I have to say after wearing a Ben 2, Paul Conway Classic, 1010, N5A, and N6A that the N5A is the most comfortable helmet that I have ever used and a 1010 in a close second.

Thread Information