Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy All I can say is HUUUUH??????????

Victim's Family Reacts To Full Honor Funeral

POSTED: 10:02 p.m. MST November 7, 2004
    UPDATED: 10:02 p.m. MST November 7, 2004

Story by kfoxtv.com

--

Family members of an El Paso man killed last week say they are still trying to come to terms with his death, and the fact that the man's suspected killer was buried with full honors.

As we reported Saturday, Doug Kepple who was an El Paso fire captain was laid to rest after taking his own life.

The man allegedly shot by Kepple was Ernesto Mireles, a teacher's aid.

His family says the decision by the El Paso Fire Department to bury Kepple with full honors is a slap in the face.

"I talked to Monica, his wife, my cousin's wife and she is pretty much beside herself that Doug Kepple .. he did serve the El Paso area for 20 years as a fire fighter, but the way he went out was very unhonorable .. and to give him a burial full of honors .. they are just confused and angry and what not. She knows that no explanation or apology from the fire department will bring back either of those two men because ultimately there are five children that have no father and 2 families that have no husbands," said Adrian Medina, Ernesto Mireles' cousin.

Medina says the fire department should have taken the lead of the police department that stated if an officer had committed a crime before his death they would not receive full honors.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I'm all for recognizing someone for the duty he/she has done & provided for the community, but this could be an exception. On one hand, I would hate to NOT provide full honors for Kepple if it turns out he didn't kill the other guy, but if suspicion is significant enough maybe honors should be withheld until his name could be cleared.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I agree.

If guilty, his name will be muddied anyway, but if not, you can't go back and give him those honours.

Tough call.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

It took me about 4 tries to really understand what the deal is here .....so the Capt. shot this other guy and then killed himself, is that what is alleged ? Now I got it........muderer or not he did serve for 20 some years ? I agree now that I got the gist of it, thats a tough call.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Tough one, BUT...

I'm gonna have to go out on a limb here and disagree with you guys. Captain Kepple is being charged with a felony. Notice I did not say "Committed" a felony. There will be investigations. Persons will be interviewed by detectives, facts will be poured over and over, and leads will be followed and chased down. In the end, we may or may not ever know the truth, because both parties are dead, and unable to testify. With that said, due to the time constraints of, and the preserving of a body being very cost prohibitive, Captain Kepple had to be buried. I would have buried him with minimal Fire Dept involvement.

Now, if and when the investigation leads to his name being cleared, and clearly shows beyond a reasonable doubt, that he was innocent in all matters, THEN go back, and render a full Fire Department memorial. But if he was guilty....20, 30 or 40 years of service....He should'nt get spit.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Sorry, I disagree as well, well I'm not really sorry so I take that word back.......... I disagree plain and simple. Can you please tell me, where the hell is the honor in taking your own life? He wasn't buried with honors for himself, he was buried with honors for the family's benefit. According to this article this man allegedly took someone else's life before taking his own, he TOOK two lives....... where is the honor? We are in the business of saving lives when we are able to, NOT taking lives, be it our own or anyone else's, there IS honor is this. In one post a young man is being bashed and his memory forever tarnished because he took his own life at Ground Zero, but one of your own takes his life after killing another and that's honored? How does this work?

I'll tell you where honor lies when someone dies, honor lies in those who GIVE their lives to save another, honor lies in those who suffer an illness in silence, and through that suffering teach us about quiet grace and dignity (Remember Bob? THAT WAS HONOR), honor is being accountable and resonsible. It damn well is NOT taking the easy way out.
    Last edited by PFire23; 11-09-2004 at 11:00 AM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

IMHO
    Apparently, the prime suspect in this killing is dead and so is the prime witness.
    Perhaps a memorial for the firefighter AFTER this case is sorted out would have been more appropriate in this case.
    A burial with full FF honors at this time was...well, bad timing.
    Tragic, regardless.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Does anyone know what would happen of this was someone in the Military instead of the Fire Service? Just asking, because I don't know.........

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question More Info??..............

Is there more out there on this? As in, Why did this tragedy happen??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Captain Doug Kepple was a great guy

He not only was a loving father, coach and role model. He was also an individual who gave his all and his life to serving the El Paso, Texas community. He bravely put his life on the line every single day as we all do
    and served proudlly on the El Paso Fire Department. He fully deserved to be buried with full Fire Department Honors, due to his 20 yrs of dedicated service. He may have murdered somebody but it was a crime of passion. No one on this site knows how they would react if they found out that the woman that they loved with all of their heart was having an affair with a family friend. Doug's wife knew that it was wrong and so did the perpetrator. The victim here was Doug Kepple. The Mireles family needs to recognize that their sibiling chose his own destiny, even Mr. Mireles wife. She is ludicrous to even denounce Doug. Her husband was a loser for pursuing Doug's wife and not having any self control. Mr. Mireles could have easily walked away and said "No thanks I am married and I love my wife" but like I said, he chose his own destiny! Long live the memory of Doug Kepple, My childhood friend and the reason that I became a fire fighter myself!

FireDog

I respect your personal feelings and grief for the man himself.

You just moved this thread from "Alleged" to "Did Take" another life. Care to back that up?

MORE than enough information you provided in your eloquent statement.

And there have been a shed load of people on here crippled for a while by exactly this scenario. It does not stop you doing what you need to get on with life.

It does not stop you putting one foot in front of the other and moving on.

It sure as shyte does not absolve anybody from taking another life. Be they a FireFighter or not.

As a lot of have learnt in the Military and Fire Service...

100 "That a Boys'" get cancelled by one "Oops".
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

[QUOTE=FlyingKiwi]FireDog

I respect your personal feelings and grief for the man himself.

And there have been a shed load of people on here crippled for a while by exactly this scenario. It does not stop you doing what you need to get on with life.

It does not stop you putting one foot in front of the other and moving on.

It sure as shyte does not absolve anybody from taking another life. Be they a FireFighter or not.

Been there-got the "T" shirt and starred in the movie--didn't kill either of them-wanted to tho.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

oK. First off, I will say that WE are not in possession of all the facts on this case. (Yet again. )

Second. IF Capt Keppel did as has been reported, then I am in full disagreement with his receipt of full honors at his funeral. It is as PFire writes, plain and simple.

If a person takes a life, what and where is the honor in that?

Just today (7 December) I had privilage and honor be in Baltimore with a friend from the French Army (Embassy) and from the Coast Guard. The entire purpose was to honor those who sailed USCG TANEY. TANEY was in Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941 and is the last "active service" ship in the fleet from that time. The folks who sailed her had honor. What they did during those years brought honor to their Ship, their Service, their Country and to themselves.

As PFire said, we are in the business of saving lives, not taking them. Truly, I feel sadness for the Keppel family for their loss, and I am sure that Capt Keppel did deserve the honors he received, for his service in the Fire Department, but ......

**the Soap Box Lamp is now OUT.**
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

From this morning's news:

Congress Passes Bill Removing Killer's Remains

POSTED: 4:22 pm EST December 10, 2006

HAGERSTOWN, Md. -- A Maryland man is applauding Congress for passing a bill that will remove the remains of his parents' killer from Arlington National Cemetery.

Vernon Davis has fought for 16 months for Russell Wagner's remains to be removed from the place of honor. He tells a Hagerstown newspaper he "didn't think it would ever happen."

Early Saturday, the Senate passed a $3.2 billion veterans bill that includes a provision to remove Wagner's remains. The House approved the same version of the bill by voice vote on Friday.

Wagner, a Vietnam veteran, was convicted of fatally stabbing Daniel and Wilda Davis at their Hagerstown home in 1994. He died of a heroin overdose in prison last year, and his body was cremated.

Wagner's ashes were placed at Arlington at the request of his sister.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

More "To obtain Five consecutive At-A-Boys you will be hailed a hero and a leader, to stand head and shoulders above all Men. However, ONE Awe-Schlitz and you must start at the bottom again." Or something like that.

Thread Information