Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Who's Got Your Back? Ohio LODD & Injury Benefits

I posted this in the Volunteer Forum and Weruj1 suggested it be copied here:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Chief Billy Goldfeder's latest commentary deals with the LODD in Lancaster, Mass. and the town voting down a death benefit for his family.

There are a few issues that we as firefighters could discuss about this incident. The most obvious seems to be the fact that the town voters let the family down. Yeah-that sucks. It really sucks but that's an issue between the family, the fire department, the current firefighters and the people they serve. Should the firefighters be wondering if they are appreciated? Ya think??!! Should they think about their duty to respond vs. their duty to take care of their families if something does happen? Uh... yeah. But the "big picture" issue isn't just the one in Lancaster, and although we would do whatever we can to help that family. The real issue is anywhere BUT in Lancaster, Massachusetts because they now know they have a problem. They found out after a firefighter gave his life in the line of duty.

The issue is at every firehouse in the USA. Primarily volunteer, call or part-time firefighters. It may include career firefighters but in most cases, career firefighters (and their representatives) are focused on making sure they have decent benefits in the event of injury or death. Non-career firefighters aren't always so focused-or taken care of.

Proper protection as a firefighter is essential such as decent training, apparatus, bunker gear, leadership, an organizational "safety attitude" and related tools. Focusing on firefighter safety and survival, with "everyone coming home" through training and related tactical and command operational fire officers is the best way to minimize the "worry" of a firefighter getting injured or killed in the line of duty. Now, assume that you have all that covered at your FD and still, one of your firefighters-or you, gets hurt or killed. WHAT IS THE PLAN? WHO HAS YOUR "BACK" ? WHAT COVERAGE DO "THEY" HAVE FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY?

It's a good idea to check into what your family will get before the unthinkable happens. I've done some research on it for my department.

Federal Death Benefit-
    The current Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB) amount is $275,658 http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/grant/psob/psob_main.html

The NVFC website has a list of what state benefits are: http://www.nvfc.org/benefits/benefits.php

Here's what we have in Ohio:

Death Benefits

One-Time:
    Survivors are eligible for benefits under the Ohio Volunteer Fire Fighters' Dependents Fund if the volunteer dies while discharging duties or from exposure or injury received while discharging duties. The spouse receives a lump sum of $1,000 plus $300 per month. Benefits cease upon remarriage. Each child receives a monthly benefit of $125 until age 18 or age 23 if the child is attending a post-secondary educational institution.

Workers Compensation:
    Benefit is 2/3 of employee's average weekly wage in their regular employment. This is based on total earnings from all employers during the year prior to the injury. Minimum and maximum amounts apply and are adjusted annually. Upon remarriage, spouse receives a two-year lump sum and benefits terminate. Children are considered dependent until age 18, age 25 if a full-time student, or longer if disabled and incapable of self-support. Benefits do not apply if the firefighter participated in a municipal pension fund and the amount of pension funds provided is not less than the Workers' Compensation benefit. This benefit includes off-duty firefighters responding to inherently dangerous situations regardless of whether they were within the limits of their jurisdiction of regular employment or voluntary service.

Funeral:
    Maximum of $3,200 for burial expenses.

Child's Education:
    Ohio Safety Officers College Memorial Fund pays tuition and fees for up to four years of undergraduate study at a state university or college, community college, university branch or technical college. Amount paid to private institution varies depending on the standard tuition of the public institutions. Must be a resident under age 26, or under age 30 if honorably discharged from the Armed Services of the United States.

Spouse's Education:
    Ohio Safety Officers College Memorial Fund pays tuition and fees for up to four years of undergraduate study at a state university or college, community college, university branch or technical college. Amount paid to private institution varies depending on the standard tuition of the public institutions.

Line of Duty Injury Benefits:

Workers Compensation
    Benefit is 2/3 of employee's average weekly wage in their regular employment. This is based on total earnings from all employers during the year prior to the injury. Minimum and maximum amounts apply and are adjusted annually.

Stay safe brothers and sisters
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thanks Moe .............this is certainly something that needs to be in more than one place.......what did you have today with Morin Point ? just people in the water ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Thanks Moe .............this is certainly something that needs to be in more than one place.......what did you have today with Morin Point ? just people in the water ?
    Well of course, much like you always are, I was at work and missed it.

Sounded like another genius boater who thought their vessel could make it through mud...second one in the last two weeks.

Westerly winds = low water doesn't register with some people in our area.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Originally posted by WTFD10

Sounded like another genius boater who thought their vessel could make it through mud...second one in the last two weeks.
    They thought that it just thick water
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ff7134

They thought that it just thick water
    Yep, until their boat wouldn't move anymore
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thanks for the info, Moe.........