Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Questins regarding SCBA

We are getting our grant soon for SCBA and a new much needed compressor system. I requested 45 min SCBA in the grant as to intergrate with our special operations team. However, I am now wanting to buy surviair panther High Pressure Packs and have 30 min bottles for Fire fighting and then have some 60 and 45 min spare bottles for the Haz Mat stuff.

Will I have to go through and ask for permission or am I better off to ask for forgiveness after the fact?

Let me have your thoughts plz.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You'll have to ask for permission since it's possible that it was only approved because of the 45 minute bottles. I don't see that it will be an issue, but all changes must be approved nonetheless.

The SCBA requests are cleared for full units and 1 spare bottle. You may be able to change the spare bottles to a higher capacity. Or, if you shop around and get the prices driven down a bit because of cash in hand, you will probably get permission to buy a couple 45s or 60s for spares.

Personally, I'd go for 45s across the board. Unless you store them in a different spot, the different capacities are going to get used for firefighting anyway. Standardization is the best way to firefighter proof things.

Congrats and happy shopping!

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by TrojanHorse
    Just curious as to why you selected the surpriseair? I have done a lot research on the SCBA and find that the ISI is the most superior product on the market.
    To each their own.

For example, after sitting through presentations from all of the major manufacturers over the last month, I would have to say that the MSA FireHawk w/ the push-to-connect MMR is the best SCBA on the market.

The only thing ISI has going for it IMO is the way the buddy breathing hose tucks up in the back plate.

Now, we'll see how everyone fairs over the next three months of field testing... but if I had to make a decision today, we'd be getting rid of our Survivair Panthers and going with MSA.

As for all of you who will be crying "SCOTT!" I can sum up my feelings after their presentation with one word- "Disappointed."

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree to each is his own... There are positives to each brand as well as negatives. We had all ISI at one time. Still have some old rangers around, they are hard to beat.

Honestly, the number one reason we are using the survivair is due to a few reasons actually;

1 . Our ex chief is a salesman for the company that sales survivair.

2. Survivair has state bid contract, so no complicated bid process.

3. Our regional Haz-Mat team has survivair.

4. WE have a posicheck and trained personnel to repair and test survivair in house.

So in a nut shell that is why we have Survivair. I do sales for a company sell a different brand, They are not my favorite but simply the ones we will get.

Thread Information