Small fire rips through north Provo home

Todd Hollingshead DAILY HERALD

A small fire burned through plywood and framing in a north Provo home Monday, forcing firefighters to tear through a large chunk of siding to isolate the flames.

Firefighters from stations 1, 2 and 3 reported to 4050 N. Cove Drive about 3 p.m. after Lisa Boswell, who lives in the home, called 911 from a neighbor's house.

"I'd only been gone a half-hour and everything was fine," Boswell said. "I opened up the front door and the house was full of smoke and I thought, 'Uh-oh.' "

No one was home when the fire broke out, and there were no injuries, police said.

Boswell and her husband, Grant, held each other and watched as firefighters tore through the recently remodeled south side of their home.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but Provo Fire Battalion Chief Gary Jolley said it was most likely related to the faulty installation of a gas appliance.

Neighbors gathered around the Boswell family, offering meals, cell phones and beds for the night as the fire crews worked to isolate the last flames.

"She came home and saw her house was smoking," said Braun Edwards, a neighbor who went inside the house to see what was happening. "She came over and said, 'Where's your phone?' Then she called 911."

Jolley said there was no structural damage to the home, but there was smoke, water and flame damage to the interior rooms. He estimated there was between $35,000 and $40,000 in damages.

The Boswells are English professors at Brigham Young University.