Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Getting new knee joints!

Well, as some of you know, I have been walking around on a couple of bad knees. I have had 4 surgeries on the left one and 7 surgeries on the right one. I have suffered from osteoarthritis since I was 19 years old. I have been on a steady diet of anti-inflammatories for the past several years. I cannot take them anymore for fear of liver/kidney damage. The past few weeks have been intolerable.
    I saw my orthopedic doctor last Friday and we set up an appointment with Dr. Driesnack, who will set my surgery date for a bilateral knee joint replacement, hopefully by year's end. When he said that it was time to replace them, I cried like a baby. I have no idea what it will be like to be pain free. Even with the anti-inflammatories, they still hurt. I didn't realize how effective they were until they took me off of them. I cannot be on my feet for more than an hour at a time. I finally gave in today and called his office and they have prescribed me Tramadol until my appointment of Nov. 24th.
    I am soooo looking forward to the new joints.
    You cannot imagine how the pain can affect your outlook on Life.
    I have tried very hard not to let it limit my normal activities, but if I ever have grandchildren, I will be able to play "horsey" like a normal grandpa.
    Whoopee!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Our thoughts are with you, CR!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Best of luck CR!

My grandfather had both of his knees replaced many years ago and it really improved his quality of life.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Art good luck .........in 2000 my dad had his right knee replaced, it was very arthritic and actually over the years effected his gait. He has been pain free and had minimal difficulty. I can tell you that the only set back he has is how he gets up and down from the ground, he cannot be on all fours. So I am not trying to bust your bubble and I know this will be a great relief on you and you should be recovered just in time for the spring links to open up !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Best of luck, CR. They going to feed you turkey in the hospital?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Art, Congratulations on your new body parts! All kidding aside, I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery. They say the first month or so is a real bitch after that surgery, but you will start to feel remarkably better after that. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Maybe next summer I can get my *** kicked in golf by you and your new knees.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Art, I'm glad to hear that you are finally going to be pain free. I know from the few times that you've mentioned it that it is something that has been very difficult to live with. When you are going through recovery just keep reminding yourself of all the things you will be able to do, and that you will be able to do them without pain meds. Keep us posted.

Jenn
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

CR, I pray that you have a speedy and uneventful recovery. You're in all of our thoughts and prayers.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Art, glad to hear you're finally able to get this taken care of...... Good luck to you.......

Art, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Best wishes to you and your knees. Hope the recovery is short and limited pain if not painless. If the hospital won't give you a real Thanksgiving dinner someone should bring you one. If you can/want let me know and i'll bring/send you one.

Jorie

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Just think, CR. Problems since you were 19; the post-procedure therapy can't be any where near that bad or take that long. I've got the same issue facing me at some point, but only on the starboard side. Mine grinds so bad, people next to me can often hear it when I get up from a crouch.

In any event, relax, get ya a stash of your favorite cigars and hootch, and coast through the winter. You'll be good to go by the time it's 'bike season again. Piece o' cake!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Art, thoughts and prayers are with you. My wife had back surgery last year (2 separate procedures through the front and the back to place pins) to correct back pain she's had since high school from degenerative discs. She is so much happier now since she is practically pain free. I expect you to be back on the golf course in no time with your new hinges.

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

I saw my orthopedic doctor last Friday and we set up an appointment with Dr. Driesnack, who will set my surgery date for a bilateral knee joint replacement, hopefully by year's end.

[until my appointment of Nov. 24th.

Art, have I misread your post? I understood it to say that the appt with the Dr to set the surgery date was on Nov 24, and that they are hoping to have your surgery done before the New Year. Looking at other people's replies I'm not sure if it is they or me who have misread or misunderstood.

Oh, and as for the dinner in the hospital.......... I bet Mrs. Reason will take real good care of you huh.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Good luck, Art.

We should probably get out and golf on, say, Nov 29. I'm figuring that'll be the only way I have a chance at beating you!!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I guess the WOT is the only one that can read in this bunch. CR, it does indeed say that your appointment with the doc is Nov. 24 and not the actual surgery. I was really worried about you eating hospital turkey. Now that won't be a problem. Our little misunderstanding in no way takes away from our best wishes for a successful surgery.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

CR,

If you are able, could you pass your surgical/recovery experiences along to me? I've got two friends on my department who are going to be facing the same thing in the not-too-distant future. They're understandably anxious about it and would appreciate an unbiased account from someone who really understands the fire service.

Best wishes for a sppedy recovery.

(Make damn sure you do everything your physical therapist says. They can be a royal pain, but they're usually right when it comes to things like this. I oughta know - I'm married to one and she's had to rehab my shoulder twice. Ouch!)
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

ullrichk:
    Be glad to. Maybe I should keep a journal. Take it from a guy who has been under the knife 11 times; it's the anaesthesiologist that I want the book on. Anyone can cut, but give me the guy who literally holds your life in his hands.
    I found out early on that you have to do what the PT tells you.
    It hurts like hell, but the payoff is worth it.
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    Jack; I am hoping that the doctor schedules the surgery asap on Nov. 24th. It can't come soon enough.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

I too would be very interested in reading a journal of your surgery and recovery. My knee problem pales in comparison with yours but I have an appointment next week to determine my next step in dealing with no cartilage in one of the knees.

Dobber
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Chief,
    I wish you the best with your knees, I kind of know what you are going through. I have bad knees also. That means you will have a lot of time to leave posts on here! ha ha ha take care lilyogi

Thread Information