Default How to re-pack forestry hose backpacks???

Posted this under general firefighting, figured I'd try it here too:

We don't use it too often. But the other day the Middle Schoolers were either smokin' or tokin' on their way in and we had a fire going in the dry leaves of the conservation land behind the school.

500' of Forestry Hose later, not much of a big deal

So now we're looking at 500' to put back in the backpacks. Some of the old timers remember there was a way to pack it so all the couplings where at the back of the bag, and you could if you want to uncouple one, reach in and grab a 100' section.

Anyone have directions or pictures how we do that????

(Forestry hose for those who don't know is lightweight, 1.5" single jacket un-lined hose. Once charged, water soaks through the jacket so it doesn't burn through. We carry some in rolls, some in gear bags, and we have like 4 back-packs of 300' each.)
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Sr. Information Officer

I posted my (non)-answer in the other forum....and I continue to research that procedure.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if this is what you are talking about but I will fill you in on the hose packs we use.
    On our type 6 engines we have 3 rolls of 1", 3 rolls of 1.5" and as much toy hose (3/4") as we can fit. We also use hose packs for quick deployment. The hose pack we use consists of 100' of inch and 200' of 1.5". You start by putting a nozzle on the end of the 1" then flake the inch into the pack, after all the inch is into the pack we connect a 1.5" gated Y, connect the 1.5" to the Y and begin folding the 1/.5" into the pack. When it is all done you have the female end of the 1.5". We can hook up to the truck and walk away with hose feeding out of the pack as we go. You need to make sure the gated Y is shut on the side that does not have a hose attacehd and open on the other side. We can hook several packs togeather. I hope that helps, there are seveal other hose packs that we have tried, but they are kind of hard to explain. PM me if you want more info.

Forum Member

Out here in the sticks of MT the Forest Service uses a standard hose pack that is very simple, the bags are all the same size and hold 400' of 1-1/2" or 600' of 1", both lightweight synthetic, but not the "weeping" or self-wetting kind already described. The pack is very simple, starting with the external (male) threaded end, just lay it in the bag back and forth, filling the bag front to back and side to side. You end up with an internally (female) threaded end sticking out the top. The bags all have shoulder straps so that the hose can be laid out as the carrier walks towards, or around, the fire still carrying all the tools he will need. As the hose lay progresses, you can grab another bag and the nozzle, or a wye, add it to the existing hose, and keep walking. If you want just 100 feet, you pull out the hose till the next connection and disconnect. We usually deploy them with matching bags of 1-1/2" gated wyes, 1-1/2 x 1" reducers, and 1" forestry nozzles.

If we are surrounding a fire, we put a wye every 200 feet, and from each wye run a reducer, 100' of 1", and a nozzle. since no hoselay is arrow straight, this allows pretty much every inch of ground 100' in to be covered in wet mopup.

We also use an "Initial attack" pack, or IA pack. This is considerably more involved, consisting of 200' of 1-1/2", a 1-1/2" gated wye, one side of the wye continues with another 100' section of 1-1/2", another 1-1/2" gated wye or a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1" "T", which has a reducer and 100' of 1" off the end ending in a forestry 1" nozzle. The other side of the first wye also has a reducer and 100' of 1" hose with a 1" forestry nozzle. The pack is the same size and uses the same bag, and is packed the same way, the nozzles at the bottom feeding in the wyed 1" when you come to it, ending up with a internally (female) threaded connection at the top.
    Last edited by MTFires; 11-22-2004 at 12:55 AM.

Thread Information