View Poll Results: What is your attack line of choice for most of your structure fires?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 1/2"

8 11.76%
  • 1 3/4"

54 79.41%
  • 2"

3 4.41%
  • 2 1/2"

3 4.41%
    Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

As some of you may recall I have advocated 2 inch hose more than a few times here on the forums. I will also add this disclaimer...What I am about to describe has worked well for us since we implemented it approximately 7 years ago. It may or may not be the answer for your particular situation. Each fire department should evaluate a number of items to determine the best fire attack set-up for their particular situation.

Both of our engines carry 2-200 foot crosslays of 2 inch hose. They have 200 gpm at 75 psi combination break apart nozzles with a 1 1/4 inch smoothbore slug tip.

The pumper tanker has a 200 foot front preconnect of 2 inch hose with a 250 at 50 combination nozzle.

The Engine has a 100 foot and a 300 foot rear 2 inch preconnect these have the 200 gpm at 75 psi nozzles with the 1 1/4 inch slug tip.

The engine also has a 200 foot 3 inch preconnect with an Elkhart Stinger with stacked tips attached to it.

The engine also has a 400 foot 3 inch deadlay bed with a gated wye and 100 foot 2 inch line. This line also has the 200 gpm at 75 psi nozzle with the 1 1/4 inch slug tip.

The only other handline carried on both rigs is 200 foot of 1 inch forestry line with a 50 gpm Scotty Class A foam system for brush fires and overhaul at structural fires.

Supply hose is 1050 feet of 5 inch on both rigs with the pumper tanker having 400 feet of additional 3 inch hose.

We are for all intents and purposes a one size handline fire department for fire attack out side of brush fires. 2 inch hose has worked out well for us. With limited daytime staffing due to being a bedroom community this allows us to stretch a major attack line with a 2 person crew and flow anywhere form 160 gpm at 55 psi at the tip to 200 at 75 to 290 at 40 psi with the slug tip.

The decision to go 2 inch was essentially made by the firefighters. We started out with one 200 foot 2 inch rear preconnect. Anytime we had a worker the firefighters went for that line over the 1 3/4 inch lines. Our then chief said if they like that line so much let's go that way totally, so we did.

Anytime the 2 inch line flowing up to 290 gpm isn't enough we go deluge attack either with the mid mounted gun or by taking the Stinger and putting it into service off the 3 inch preconnect.

Again, this works for us...it may not be what would work for you.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the info! Our newest pumper was designed to handle 2" attack line in it's crosslays but we have 1 3/4" now and just wondering how many had made the switch and if any thought it was going to slowly replace 1 3/4 over the next few year much like 1 3/4 did to 1 1/2" a few years back. We currently only use 1 3/4 as initial attack line or if the situation calls for it 2 1/2". We use all turbo jet type nozzles with the exception of a deluge gun one pumper and a Saber-Jet on the other. We have 2 1/2" preconnects on both pumpers. Our car fire pumper is the only truck that uses 1 1/2" on a regular basis.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

We run 1.75" crosslays, 150 or 200', with TFT automatic nozzles, and it would be my guess that we always will. FyredUp knows all about that one. Our only other attack line is the 3" that is running to the Blitzfire, which we have both the combination and stacked tip for.

Each of our engines carries at least two crosslays, the 3" with the Blitzfire, a 3" with a 1.75" wye on the end, 5" hooked up to a manifold, and 4" to the hydrant assist valve.

FyredUp--What was up with that extinguisher today? It sucked.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

All of our 3 Engines, Tanker and Ladder are set up this way:

Crosslays
    1 - 200' 1 3/4" smoothbore
    1 - 200' 1 3/4" fog
    1 - 200' 2 1/2" smoothbore
    1 - 100' 1 3/4" fog - trashline(rubber jacket) - crosslays except the Ladder it is in the front bumper

Our Tower is:
    Crosslays
    1 - 200' 1 3/4" smoothbore
    1 - 200' 1 3/4" fog
    1 - 100' 1 3/4" fog - trashline(rubber jacketed) - passenger side pump panel

All also have a 150' - 1 3/4" smoothbore hi-rise bundle
    All with exception of the Tanker(250'),have 500' of 2 1/2" with a smoothbore.

- For single family and some multi-family the smoothbore 1 3/4" is primary line and the 1 3/4" fog is back-up.
    - For multi family with long hallway stretches 2 1/2" is pulled and the hi-rise bundle is attached.
    - For commercial the 2 1/2" smootbore
    We don't see 2" or 3" out our way and 4" or 5" is the supply lines.

My opinion on lines is, unless I am sittin' on it I like the 1 3/4". I like having the ability to maneuver with that size line.
    Last edited by F52Westside; 11-16-2004 at 10:36 AM.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information