Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Fire Grant and MABAS

I was told that beginning next year, if a department does not belong to a MABAS, that department will not be eligible for the Federal Fire Grants. Is there any truth to this?

I can't convince my cheif to look into joining MABAS, even after I told him this.

we are in Ohio and dont belong to MABAS..........does that mean we cant get a grant also ? I think someone is pullin you leg maybe...210 can you advise ? Artise ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I haven't heard of this clause, either........ Maybe it applies for any STATE grants, but that's about it.....

No MABAS going on at all in this area. We tried to do that with the majority of our neighboring FDs and we had 1 say OK, so we now have automatic aid with them on certain incidents (Structure fire, Building Collapse, Aircraft Accidents, Injury Accidents on the Interstate with Entrapment, Hazmat). It has worked out very well for us so far..... Nobody else wanted to get on board with us, though.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MABAS

I believe that you are partly correct. You will need to have mutual aid in place but they have not designated which organization to belong to. I hope this helps. My suggestion to you and your chief, look over MABAS if it is in your area and give it an honest chance. I think you will be surprised to see what it can do you and your state.

Forum Member

I agree it would be a good thing to get into, but my chief's thinking is we already have Mutual Aid agreements with the surrounding districts so why bother?

I have only been on the dept. for a couple of years, and we are not a real active dept.

I dont know alot about MABAS, or the rules and regs of it. but I would like to know more so I can pass it on.

What exactly does MABAS do?

Default MABAS

Guarantees your town will get all the help it needs if a major incident occurs. Ask someone from Utica.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Hey Barny,
    I know where your coming from since I'm from oh say about.....5 miles to the East. Our chief has just finally been convinced to join MABAS and is waiting on the offical word. On thing that changed his mind was the informational meetings about the system. If possible have him attend one and see if it changes his mind.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

There is no federal requirement to belong to MABAS in order to receive federal grant money of any source.

Remember, MABAS is, not withstanding a handful of divisions in Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, and Missouri, an Illinois organization.

Having said that, there is a new requirement starting in January 2005 that any organization receiving federal funds must adopt and prove training in the federal National Incident Management System (NIMS). There've been several threads on this in topic the Illinois forums as well as throughout the site. This may be where the confusion between MABAS and NIMS occurred. NIMS is very similar to the fire Incident Command System, but there are many differences to account for agencies that do not normally operate under this sort of a system, such as police, FEMA, ATF, and others.

MABAS is an absolute neccessity for us small departments, and any chief that doesn't believe that has never had to work a truly large incident. (Ask Mount Morris about thier grade school fire last February. MIKEY already mentioned Utica. There are countless others).

Sometimes the only way we can change things in the fire service requires the help of six men at a time, and an honor guard. Such a shame, too. MABAS costs little or nothing to join, and brings an incredible wealth of help, info and training to the table.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

WE're in Division 47 so it's one of the last ones to get up and running. IMO, it's the ONLY mutual aid agreement, period. I've looked at our others and they're not worth the paper they're written on when compared to what the MABAS system can do for us. Jeremy, you're probably looking at the division just North of us and you'll be taking a couple of members away from us when it's approved.
    Should you belong - yes. Do you have to, no. Jaybird's right this time.
    Just go to mabas.org and you'll learn all about it.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

You can belong to more than one div,you just need to name a primary. We belong to 31 and 39, with 31 as our primary, of which I am pres. We also have long standing mutual aid agrements with all of our surronding dept,our closest dept, 4 mi away, its automatic on structure fires,dispatch pages us and them without asking. I think this is a must for small dept. Jay, whats the deal with training? they going to require min hrs? I've been an advocate of this for years, been too many depts that love to show you there new equipment,state or fed funded, but have no idea how to use it. Ok rant off, my bp is gettin to high.

Jay, whats the deal with training? they going to require min hrs?
    Not real sure, Larry. Check with Art; he's more up on NIMS.....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I've heard that some training requirements for chiefs is coming, but I don't know of anything else. That's on the state level, not fed. Don't know about NIMS other than the ICS deal we're working on now.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Jaybird's right this time.
    Well, that musta hurt like hell to type!!!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Default Something else to think about.

MABAS allows members of smaller departments a chance to go to "the big one" every once in a while. It helps keep those skills you are hopefully drilling on sharp.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by jaybird210

Well, that musta hurt like hell to type!!!
    Actually, Jaybird210, I take pride in the fact that I'm a rather good typist and it didn't physically hurt me at all to type those words. So that means it wasn't even a typo, I meant what I said. Now adjust your hat so it fits your head.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mabas

Being from a small town we had many mutual Aid agreements. But ever since our area adopted MABAS things have been so much nicer. Instead of trying to figure out who needs to bring what to where it is all laid out. All we do is strike a box and what we know that everyting we need is coming. It works well in the middle of the day when our manning abilities are low.
    Another issue for those of us small towm guys is that we really don't mind getting toned out. We have gotten a boost to our call volume because of it. I think that this has helped us get Fire Act Grants in the last couple of years. So yeah, I think that being in a MABAS division can help you get a grants in a more round about way.
    There are only a couple of items that you must do to be eligible for Federal grants. A DUNS number. NFIRS reporting, And next year it will be the NIMS training. But no mutual aid system reqs.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Thread Information