Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Leather Boot Question

I am looking into buying a pair of Thorogood leather boots. A lot of people in my company wear them and love them. How do they fit your foot compared to everyday casual/running shoes (like sizes)? And would you reccommend getting the pair with shin guards?
    Last edited by CHenryHVFC; 11-15-2004 at 12:27 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber bolivas203's Avatar

Sizing runs pretty equivalent to Nike running shoes from what I have found. They may seem a little snug when you first get them, but that is ok as they will become more form fitting after they break in as leather stretches.

Yes, get the shin guards. They will come in handy.

Keep'em clean and polished/oiled and they will last you much longer.

Go here to learn about Leathers vs Rubbers
    Stay alert and be safe.

Forum Member

Tell me why I would want shin guards. For 35 years now I have not worn them with rubber boots, so I was wondering why I would need them with leather boots.

Shin guards really help if your working off of a ladder. At least that is the big one I have noticed. Anyone else think of anything??

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Arrow shin guards

You may have worked for 35 years without them, but I guess a question back would be: ever scrape your shins alot at various fires?

If the answer is yes, then having the shin guards would be a benefit. If the answer is no, then I would guess you may not want them at all.

I have a pair of Pro Warringtons. I would definitely prefer leather boots to rubber ones anyday. I bought mine with shin guards. I can't say that they have made any significant difference. Conversely, perhaps having the shin guards has not distracted me from when I might have hurt my shins.

The shin guards they speak of are flexible peices of metal that are an intergral part of the boot. They don't add significantly to the weight. I got them figuring they might com ein handy vs. not having them at all.

Stay safe.
    Jonathan Martin
    martinj@wpi.edu
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Like Dickey said, they come in handy when you're working on a ladder, especially if you'e doing a leg lock on the ladder and you don't like the rungs grinding into your shin. I guess if someone was careless and swung a ladder around low or something and it hit your shin, you could benefit as well.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

speaking of leather boots, what is/are the best product(s) to keep your leather boots clean and shining???

Default sizing

Thanks for helping me decied about the shinguards. Does anyone have any info on how the Thorogoods fit in relation to shoe sizes? I know i have had one reply say that they fit like Nike running shoes. Does anyone else think differently or should i just go by the size shoe i wear?
    Station 6- Hurlock Vol. Fire Dept.
    Company 16 Station 1- Frostburg Fire Dept.

343- Always Remembered, Never Forgotten

I wouldnt buy boots unless you have tried them on. I know this may be difficult, but its really the only way to get a correct fitting boot. Even though the boot may run close to Nike sneakers, its not the same, who knows, you might feel more comfortable in a wide boot. If you cant find a supplier in the area that has a store front, ask your chief who supplies the gear for your department, he/she might have a few pair you can try to get a feel for what size you need.

when we have gotten ours in the 2 places I work........just used the ol shoe size .......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

My leathers are one size smaller and one size wider than my shoe size.

Forum Member

I too bought a pair of Pro Warrentons, and instead of all leather, I got the kevlar/leather. I am getting another pair soon thanks to "grant" moneys and will go with all leather, no kevlar. The boots fit perfectly when my foot gets inside but the shin area of the boot doesnt flex or stretch so I have to force my foot in and pull a bit to get my feet out. But, to me theres nothing like leather boots, I've had my gear on multiple times for 6-8 hours (live burns) and the foot fatigue is much less. Stay safe!

Thread Information