Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Problems with new helmets

Our department just received our new helmets which are Paul Conway American Classic. This past Sunday, we went on a training exercise to a "burn building". Much to our surprise we had some problems with our helmets. Mine appeared to have melted in some places on the outside back brim and one place on the inside around the rim. These places weren't that big, but they are big enough to make me wonder about them. 4 other helmets were cracking around the inside rim. I have some questions but first let me say, our department has used same helmets for a long time. this is the first year we have bought alot of new gear. Now my question is should these helmets be doing this? My thought is they should be able to withstand the heat. Has anyone else had a problem with these helmets. Never had this kinda problem before. I am still waiting on the sales rep to call me back and waiting on the number from him for me to call Globe. Just wanted some input on this.

If I'm not mistaken, the Paul Conway American Classic is fiberglass covered with leather. I've heard that the leather in some helmets has melted and shriveled up, exposing the fiberglass below, making the helmet look absolutly horrible and even worse, putting it out of service. I think it might have even been someone on these forums that mentioned that happeneing to their helmet.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Exclamation

It doesn't surpise me at all.

Contact the dealer whom you bought these helmets from and also write and sent a certified letter to Paul Conway. Give them a chance to fix the problem or best of all get your money back and buy a real fire helmet.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I have one thing to say.....

Bullard.....

My department has been with Bullard for several years now... tried Morning Pride helpets for a while but they didnt add up..... We do use Morning Pride gear... I love it... BUT our helmets are Bullard!

Great Helmet!

Had my Paul Conway American Heritage in a couple workers recently. Other than forgetting to remove my goggles during a rapid initial attack, I haven't had any problems with anything melting.

Haven't heard of any problems with the Classic, however...
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

sometimes it gets hot and these things do happen... those helmets r crappy anyways
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

Thread Information