MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another reason why we need to keep EMS out of the Firehouse

Check the Main page of FH.com for photos.

Ambulance Catches Fire in Kent, Connecticut Fire Station Apparatus

Chief ERIC EPSTEIN

• Click to View Slideshow

On Thursday, November 11, 2004, the Kent Volunteer Fire Department, along with the Warren Volunteer Fire Company of Connecticut was dispatched to a reported structure fire at the Kent station on North Main Street. Upon arrival, firefighters determined an ambulance in one bay was on fire. Firefighters were able to get two engines in neighboring bays out of the building without any major damage.

The local and state fire marshal's office are conducting investigations.

The ambulance appears to be a total loss.

Like This Article? E-Mail This Story to a Friend or Co-Worker
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

I hope your kidding about keeping EMS out of the firehouse. It could just as easily have been an engine.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Rabble rouser

Default touche

From: http://stationstyle.firechief.com/ar...ames_cant_put/

Station 14 burns

Nearly two years later, and several states to the south, fire struck Burke Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department’s Station 14 in Fairfax County, Va., just before 2 a.m. on January 10, 1997. The bvfrd owns this station, but it’s partly staffed by the Fairfax County Fire Department. Burke provides ambulance, quint and heavy rescue squad service in this part of Fairfax County, and Station 14 also houses elements of the Cave-In/fema urban search and rescue team.

Originating in the electrical system of Rescue Squad 14’s chassis, the fire quickly consumed the heavy rescue vehicle, which was in Bay 3, and extended to the ceiling and roof of the building. The station, an unsprinklered brick structure dating from the 1950s, had been renovated several times over the years, most recently including the installation of a new fire door to the second-floor male bunkroom and alterations to reduce the intrusion of exhaust fumes from the apparatus bay into the bunkroom.

Eleven personnel were in the station at the time. Nine of them were in the second-floor bunkroom, one in the female bunkroom on the first floor, and the other sleeping on a Murphy bed in the training room. Technician Mark Lucas woke up at about 1:40 and smelled smoke. He left the bunkroom and discovered a heavy white haze in the apparatus bay. Returning to the bunkroom, he woke Capt. John Caussin. Soon the haze turned to black smoke, and Caussin and the other members in the bunkroom exited via the rear fire escape.

Once outside, Caussin went to the shop outbuilding to call dispatch, requesting a box alarm. Station 14’s tones alerted the two remaining personnel in the station, who were able to make safe exits, the female firefighter through a side window.

The first-alarm company was Engine 27, stationed three miles way and commanded by Capt. Roger Souders. Reporting heavy smoke from all sides of the station, Souders struck a second alarm and laid dual lines to the front of the station. Heavy fire was coming from the cab of Rescue Squad 14 and impinging on the driver’s side of the quint and the officer’s side of the reserve engine. An aggressive attack brought the fire under control in about 15 minutes.

The aftermath of the fire left Burke in a somewhat different situation than Great Valley. Not all of Burke’s apparatus were destroyed, and neither was the building a complete ruin. But the damage was great, enough to put Station 14 out of action indefinitely.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Default Re: Another reason why we need to keep EMS out of the Firehouse

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    Check the Main page of FH.com for photos.

Ambulance Catches Fire in Kent, Connecticut Fire Station Apparatus

Chief ERIC EPSTEIN

• Click to View Slideshow

On Thursday, November 11, 2004, the Kent Volunteer Fire Department, along with the Warren Volunteer Fire Company of Connecticut was dispatched to a reported structure fire at the Kent station on North Main Street. Upon arrival, firefighters determined an ambulance in one bay was on fire. Firefighters were able to get two engines in neighboring bays out of the building without any major damage.

The local and state fire marshal's office are conducting investigations.

The ambulance appears to be a total loss.

Like This Article? E-Mail This Story to a Friend or Co-Worker
    Wow! Now thats not an attempt to start a ****ing match.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Well, according to this logic, we shouldn't have firefighting equipment in the firehouse either. In fact, the NFPA, OSHA, and several other alphabet agencies just released a new policy:

In light of recent incidents involving equipment catching fire and growing concerns over making actual progress (we wouldn't want that), the following are no longer allowed in firehouses / fire stations / fire halls / whatever the word of the week is:

1. Ambulances
    2. Oxygen
    3. Defibrulators
    4. Denatured Alcohol
    5. Pumpers
    6. Tankers
    7. Ladder trucks
    8. Rescue trucks
    9. Brush trucks
    10. Fly cars
    11. SUV's
    12. Pickup Trucks
    13. Motorcycles
    14. Gasoline
    15. Diesel fuel
    16. Pumps
    17. Power tools
    19. Cleaning supplies
    20. Hot water
    21. Humans
    22. Dogs
    23. Cats
    24. Birds
    25. Ferrits
    26. Any other carbon based lifeforms
    27. Other un-named inanimate objects that are combustible

Please be sure to bring your station/house/hall/building into complience by this Wesnesday.

MembersZone Subscriber

This thread should be entitled Another Reason We Need Sprinklers in Every Fire Station.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

dazed and confused

Originally posted by ullrichk
    This thread should be entitled Another Reason We Need Sprinklers in Every Fire Station.
    Great point. I might've missed it... but... were there atleast any heat detectors in the bay, or smoke detectors throughout the station?

Of course, this is all too little, too late. Best wishes to that department to get back in business.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Originally posted by ullrichk
    Oh now don't go throwing LOGIC into the mix as well. We wouldn't want to, like, set an example or heaven forbid... Practive what we preach!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think everyone needs to relax. This is a joke obviously. It's like that post that was in one of the other catagories that was entitled "What kind of light bar should I put on my new car" and it turned out to be a joke.

Deep breath everyone....and release...ok, click the next thread button.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Forum Member

Nah, this one isn't a joke. TillerMan is extremely opposed to EMS being involved with the fire service.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Another Reason We Need Sprinklers in Every Fire Station.

Except the ambulance bay
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Nah im with tiller... ems needs to be away from the firehouse..........
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

Forum Member

So you're sayin that if every ambulance in the area was tied up, and there was a mass casualty incident, you wouldn't do anything to help the victims?
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

I love all the "10 year wonders" who want EMS out of the fire service. You are over 30 years too late. Deal with it.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

EMS has a place Mikey, but I think you can seriously question if FD providing Transport is right in all/many areas. Conditions change, and what was the best model 10 years ago, may no longer be. And what's best today may not be 10 years from now.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

I know this is a futile argument because some people refuse to accept that their way isn't the best way for everyone.... but why does it matter if the EMS responders are a part of the FD? It's not like you are taking the crew off an engine to put them in an ambulance. There is certainly no shortage of firefighters due to EMS. I'm sure EMT's can cook. They are human beings doing a job just like everyone else in the station. Who gives a crap if the ambulance say "Fire Department" on the side. What functional problem could it possibly create to make you people so adamently against it, and "because we didn't do it 50 years ago" is not a valid answer.

Forum Member

Default Point taken Dal..

However, the title of this thread is "Another reason why we need to keep EMS out of the firehouse". It has nothing to do with the merits of transport,ALS service, etc. Heck, even before there was "EMS", many fire departments operated ambulances and most responded to "inhalator calls" and other first aid runs. I know the postings of Tillerman enough to know he's stirring the pot and even cagy ol' me is biting. (against my better judgement). There was a serious lack of qualified EMS delivery in this country until the FIRE SERVICE took the lead.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Posted by Mikeylikesit...

There was a serious lack of qualified EMS delivery in this country until the FIRE SERVICE took the lead.
    Amen to that, bro. Many communities would not have any form of EMS if it were not for their fire departments (both career and poc/volunteer). Privately owned EMS companies need to generate profits in order to maintain their business and answer to their stockholders. In many small towns, there isn't enough call volume for private EMS to base a unit there or to respond there.

A prrime example was the community of Springdale, Arkansas. In thwe late 1960's the "ambulance" was run by a local funeral director who gave up the business, leaving Springdale with no form of EMS altogether. The Springdale FD then took up the role of EMS provider for the community.Springdale firefighters trained in EMS, training bred confidence, confidence added to thei professionalism. As the community grew, so did the number of firefighters and EMS runs.

A "consortium" of local business owners then attempted to take EMS out of the Springdale FD (ie., they saw a chance to make a few bucks... of course, after the FD reorganized EMS, brought the level of training and standards of care up, etc.) The question of who should provide EMS for Springdale made it to the voters in the form of a binding ballot question... The FD won by a 3 to 1 margin.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

nmfire, that's not always true - this actually does happen in cross-staffed, single-pill stations. MANY a person serving with Prince Georges County has had to go on fire calls driver only, because the other two members of their three-person crew took the ambulance on a call. I don't know what is scarier: having this happen in a scary section of the county (no shortage of these) or running a working fire with entrapment (this has also happened).

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Different Strokes................

Several points. Being close to the situations that make some folks feel that EMS needs to stand alone, not be a FD thing, I'll try to explain a few problems that we face DAILY. First, Firefighters ARE taken off the apparatus to staff the ambulance. The Ambulance comes first in our County, it must respond when dispatched, regardless of staffing availability. Second, Our BLS services are free. That translates to what I call ABUSE. Nursing homes, assisted living homes, or whatever you call them, are a huge problem. They call 911 for anything remotely connected to a patient's discomfort. About 3 weeks ago, I personally filed a complaint that a Nursing Home called us at 02:25 on Friday, becaue the patient was complaining of pain in her hand from a fall that happened on TUESDAY. The problem, IMHO, was that the staff was tired of listening to the patient's complaints THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HAND INJURY. People have been calling more as gas prices have gone up. We're the free taxi. Before anyone asks, If someone calls 911, we MUST handle it. I don't think anyone would hesitate for a single minute to help someone in need, indeed, we run engines on EMS calls so that we get care to the patient quicker, when the suppression unit is closer than the ambulance. We care, we're just tired of the abuse.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

former FH.com member

Exclamation Re: Different Strokes................

Originally posted by hwoods
    We care, we're just tired of the abuse.
    AMEN to that Bro! You guys are not alone in feeling this way. -46

Forum Member

The problem of ambulance abuse is not a problem unique to Prince Georges County Maryland. It is a systemic problem, many times caused by uninsured people who know how to use an ER as a primary source of medical care. Your local government needs to work with the local EMS system and come up with a way to deal with places like nursing homes. As a rule, in Cook County Illinois, population 5.6 million, ambulance service to nursing homes etc. is usually provided by private ambulance services, unless it's a life threatening situation. There is a good working relationship with the privates here on the southside. The privates are even part of mutual aid responses. There needs to be a better way to prioritize ambulance responses. I too am tired of running calls for b.s. psych patients, sore throats,toothaches and the like. We have a 31 year tradition of providing ALS care to our citizens on my department. That outweighs the nonsense that we have to put up with. The paramedic program has brought about far more good will then ill in my community. If you would like to compare demographics, you will find that southern Cook County has pockets of poor equal too or greater then many areas of the U.S...We still manage to make it work.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 11-18-2004 at 06:44 PM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

My little area...all volunteer FD's and separate volunteer EMS for 20miles at least. No FD has/does EMS. Not even "first response". A couple of towns have gone to contracting with a private service as the EMS squads are unable to handle all of the calls. FD's don't want it. Any FD member that wishes to do EMS is free to (and a few do) belong to both organizations. Just don't see a need to combine them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Harve ............I would only like to offer this up to you, when we get repeat callers with no blatant malady, such as the one you listed, we call a private ambulance in from Toledo then we stay in service. I am all for EMS, but sometimes you just need to do that.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Harve ............I would only like to offer this up to you, when we get repeat callers with no blatant malady, such as the one you listed, we call a private ambulance in from Toledo then we stay in service. I am all for EMS, but sometimes you just need to do that.
    We are the opposite. We will not call a private ambulance into our city for anyone, unless we have some kind of MCI or we have no ambulance available and our mutual aid FDs don't have any available or are very limited.

Yes, some people may abuse the system. We will try to explain things to them and encourage then to seek other means of transport if ambulance transport is not needed, but if they insist, we will transport them......... Especially when it's a resident of the city. I'd rather have them get a bill from us for a BLS transport than from a private company who will charge them at 3 times what we would, or more.......... And we charge $250-275 for a BLS transport......

Thread Information