Forum Member

Default Joining the Local FD

Hey everyone im new here, i already used the search button and borsed quite a bit, just saying hello. im trying to join my local vollunteer fire dept. GF's dad is the lieutennant and ive been interested ever since i first found out over a year ago, i got to know most of the dept. already im always watching what goes on by the fire dept, and listiening to his plectron, lol. so i think im going to go for it. i have no idea what goes on in the sigingin up process other then that i know i have to take firefighter one (which unfortunatley the soonest i can get in a class is february) its 14 weeks long. on thursday nights from 6:30-10:30 and im 110% willing to do so. so any pointers suggestions and other words would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Best of luck to yah with getting started....I don't have many pointers..Just take in whatever you can and practise till your perfect..When you get in do what your comfortable doing and if you don't feel comfortable with an assignment tell someone..I'm sure some of the more seasoned vet's can give yah more pointers than my short 4 1/2 years can..

Good Luck!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I'm about the same as you, I'm just coming up on the end of my probation, and I have loved every minute of it. Just don't be afraid to ask questions...

Forum Member

i got a question, what exactly do they teach you in the firefighter one class? i mean i honestly dont know how to even suit up yet, other then the fact that boots go on your feet, pants jacket helmet and gloves and the hood. this whole experenince is new to me.

Forum Member

They teach you pretty much everything you need to know....Obviously its not everything because theres classes like FF 2 and other specialty courses...But the basics....You'll learn a ton ranging from advanced techniques to how to inspect your bunker gear...And I know here we spent a good half hour just practicing putting our gear and SCBA on...
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default Getting bunkered out

I wouldn't worry about practicing getting your bunker gear on. In my FF1 class, we practiced that first thing every night. The standard in Georgia (and I assume elsewhere) is to be in gear and breathing air in two minutes. It seems impossible the first few times you try it, but after a while it gets easier. We all made it when we tested, and the stars of our class-two women-were ready in just over a minute.

Forum Member

Don't stress over FF1. It's not even a requirement. I only got it after going fulltime with my FD so that I could apply for State Supplimental pay which requires the FF1 certification. Hardly anyone else in my department has FF1. None of the Officers and half the paid people don't have FF1. Like others have said, it's just the basics and that you can learn just running calls with the ole timers and attending any training held at your department.

Forum Member

Here in NJ its required to take FF1 to be able to become an interior fire fighter. all of our training drills i belive are stuff like abandonded house fires entrapment drills (extrication?) and stuff like that. im starting a new workout program also today so that i can make sure im in shape for all of this. because it sounds like it can get pretty physically demanding at times, so i just want to make sure that im up to par.

Forum Member

Mav,

Hi I'm from NJ too, and just finishing up my FFI training in 3 more weeks. Have you gotten in contact with your local vol. fire dept? More than likely they will send you to your County training facility for your FFI class at no cost to you. Unfortunetly with winter upon us most schools don't pick up till feb/march again. Working out is a great idea. I'm glad I started running and getting my CV in shape. I've even seen marked improvement in my arms and legs and thinner waist line just from being in academy, you need the strength and you sound like a young guy like me you probably have that, but when you put on that face piece and go on air, you better have the lungs for it. If you smoke stop now.

Jeff

If you want more info on NJ FFI stuff PM me.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maverick: Good for you for caring enough to join up. Listen carefully, ask your questions, do WHAT you are told WHEN you are told and PRACTICE!
    There is much to learn but once you have learned it, it all falls into place. There are also times when your personal plans will have to go out the window. That comes with the job. There will be incidents that do not turn out the way you think they will and you will learn from that also.
    To quote our Military..."There's no life like it!"

Forum Member

thanks for some more info guys! this forum is really helpful! no i dont smoke, never have, never will. i wont have a problem leaving my plans to run to the fire house, and my GF should be ok with it idk if i mentioned earlier but her dad is the liuetennant so shes used to that kind of stuff. yes your right about the academy, i have to go to the morris county police and fire academy. sounds like its going to be one informative/interesting/ and fun class to take. i unfortunately have to wait until february for the class to start and it goes till may (14 week class, 4 hours in one night) but im def psyched. what are some things besides running that i can do to get my lungs in shape for what you mentioned?

Forum Member

if you can (depending on your work/school schedule), I would try to take FF1 in as short a time as possible. if you can do the daytime course, then do it. if they offer it 3 nights a week or 2 nights and a weekend, then go for it. trust me, the sooner you get it done, the sooner it's behind you.

I'm fron NJ as well. in FF1, they will teach you much of the basics. it's more classroom than hands on, but you will learn how to put on your gear, how to connect to a hydrant, basic stuff. if you can, take FF2 as well.

i took ff1 several years ago, and am in FF2 now. if I can give you any firther information, send me a PM
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

unfortunatley that looks like the shortest i'll be able to pull off, and i just noticed its the february 2004 shcedule still up, which academy did you go to? im looking at the Morris County Police and Fire Academy. But im also a full time college student. plus i work weekends. so that schedule actually works out perfect with mine. if they keep the same time for 2005. and my plan is to take FF1 and then as soon as possible afterwards take FF2. would this be a good idea?

Forum Member

Well maverick...I dunno if your area is the same but there are pre-requisites for FFII ...You have to have Hazmat Operations,First Responder(why i dunno) and a couple other courses..So you may wanna check that whole situation out

Ryan

Forum Member

yea i'll look into that, and it seems that there is more of a push around here for extrication classes as well, hehe our next training drill is most likely going to have something to do with our neighboring towns new hazmat response robot. the next town over just happens to be an army base, and they help us out some times, being the closest FAST team as well. so naturlly they get the coolest most expensive stuff on the block. see:

Forum Member

Maverick9110E, the schedule changes from year to year. you might want to call them to see when they are offering the next FF2 courses. they might not evne know yet.

and I took both my FF1 and FF2 at the middlesex fire academy. i know people who took their FF1 at the monmouth academy, as well as at the middleton academy.

if you have any questoins, the best thing to do is to call the academy and speak to the lead instrutor there. he/she shoudl be able to answer any questions you have about how morris runs a course.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by cellblock
    Don't stress over FF1. It's not even a requirement. I only got it after going fulltime with my FD so that I could apply for State Supplimental pay which requires the FF1 certification. Hardly anyone else in my department has FF1. None of the Officers and half the paid people don't have FF1. Like others have said, it's just the basics and that you can learn just running calls with the ole timers and attending any training held at your department.

You can't be serious can you ??? FF1 Not a requirement ? - What type of traning is required of you guys ? I hope something other than listening to "The Ole' Timers" - It's pretty scary to even think that no training is required by your company. At least that's the impression I get

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to take your training with a schedule that will allow you the best opportunity to retain the information, practice it and then master it.
    You don't want to cut the window down to the point that you'll miss or fail to grasp basic skills and the worst case scenario would be to burn out on training very quickly.
    I know that you want to become a productive member very quickly, but unfortunately, much of your training will come from hands on experience of responding to a call.
    Whether certain levels of training are required or not, you should do everything that you can to attain the skills necessary to protect you and your men from hazards inherent to firefighting.
    Good luck to you.
    I did it for 22 years, loved every minute of it and miss it every day.
    I am now a trustee, but I continue to study tactics, building construction, fire behavior and neat stuff like that, just because I enjoy it.
    And I still believe that I have the added advantage of experience.
    Listen to the stories, but get your training from qualified instructors. You won't regret it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

im not rushing the length of time, im just trying to see if it would be smart to take ff2 after ff1, would it be better since its still in my head, or should i let the ff1 stuff hang around for a bit then try and do ff2? thanks a lot to all of you who are responding, it means a great deal to me!

MembersZone Subscriber

Maverick, another thing once you get on the Dept. dont be afraid to ask questions, learn where equipment is at on the trucks, and if your uncomfortable or dont know how to do something instead of doing it anyway an possibly messing things up (especially on an incident) Tell your superiors immediately that your uncomfortable doing the task assigned you, and when your back at the station learn how to do it so youll know next time.
    Just a couple of things I was told when I first joined the fire service.
    Good luck to ya.

Forum Member

wooo im way to excited (i wonder if thats a good or a bad thing) but im going to go down to the FD tonite with the liuetannat (GF's Dad) and put in my application. i have to wait till like 8:00 tonite though oh well, good things come to those who wait....i hope.

Forum Member

22 years ago I took FF1. Now I teach it. Have yet to see a need for FF2. Stick with FF1 for a while, get used to your department and how they operate (will most likely be different than the FF1 teaches you ) as everyone adds a little "local" flavor. Get some experience, then decide if you want FF2. All training and no experience makes you a book learner, not a FF. Don't rush it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones, i bet you 10 years ago, there were veterans in the department that didn't see a need for firefighter I either. something that FF2 goes over that FF1 doesn't:

flamible gas fires
    flamible liquire fires
    motor vehicle extrication
    introduction to fire investigations
    intro to pump ops, friction loss and hose length
    more live fire training
    rescue operations

you can take the individual courses and learn the same stuff, all FF2 does is give you the intro up front, so you have a brief idea of what to do when placed into that situation.

oh, and in my ff2 class, we got a range of experience, from a new guy right out of FF1 to a 20+ year vet ex chief. it's worth it if you have the time.

but as bones says, you still need to listen to how your dept does things. all the classroom training will make you a book learner. you need to expand on what you learn in class with what you experience to become a good firefighter.

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

DrP, you didn't cover extrication and gas fires in your FF1 class? Interesting. Our FF1 class spends most of a day at Ocean County Fire Academy with gas company reps doing utilities emergencies.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones,I wasn't referring to utilties emergencies, but rather what to do when a propane storage tank starts leaking, and then a spark causes it to start burning.

or like that gasoline tanker that rolled on Rt 9 a couple of weeks ago, and I believe ended up catching fire. that type of thing isn't covered in FF1, or at least it wasn't in my FF1 at middlesex county fire academy.

and i don't think we went over MVX in my FF.

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information