Default Making 10% of runs

Our township board is requiring us to make at least 10% of our total annual runs. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this or has anyone ever been on a department that requires something like this. I was told that they can only count the runs that we can actually make towards that 10%. So, they can not count the time that we are at work against us. I was also told that the Fire Program that we use to record our runs will allow us to put in our work schedules and it will keep track of the amount of runs that we can actually make. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Forum Member

We do it. We require 15%. Weeds out those who aren't really of much help. Plus, it's not that hard. Work schedules are taken into account, as well.

Plus, you're required to make an equivilant of at least 1 training a month per year. On top of that, if you're a firefighter you're required a minimum of 16 hours of state certified training per year. If you're an officer, 32.

It keeps your men proficient in the newest tactics, methods, and equipment, and makes sure they show up
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Most volunteer departments operate like this. As in a paid on duty career department, you are required to make all calls that your company is dispatched on while you are on duty.

No be deal. If you want to be an active volunteer, you will make all the calls you can. There may be some for other reasons that you can't make. Vacation, out of town, in the hospital, taking care of a sick family member or working some where else other than in your town.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Truckie

Most in the East Metro area of St. Paul require 25%, a couple with 30. Then there is also a minimum drill standard for most. That varies from department to department.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

25% of fire calls (work schedule does not get counted). 50% of training drills, usually around 30 per year. Fit testing, SCBA recertification, driver/operator recertification. If you are an officer, there's more drills and officer meetings required.

That does not take into account meetings and fundraising, which is not related to the "fire" side of the company.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

you must make 30% of ALL alarms (24/7) to remain in good standing. this doens't include training requirements.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

My dept you must make 30% of Calls,Meetings And Training....90% out of a possible 300%....Not too difficult
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

90% out of a possible 300%

It is either too late in the day , or my math has gone strit to phooey !

Forum Member

ok....3 Categorys...

You need to make 30 % of each...30+30+30=90

Out of a possible 100 % for each section...100+100+100=300

which is how I come up 90% out of a possible 300%...
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok , now that I read it slower It makes better sence.

I still may or may not have some dain brammage !

MembersZone Subscriber

We need 30% of ALL calls, no matter if you're at work or school or not. It's not that hard since we get about 400 calls a year (we don't do our own EMS) so you only need 120 calls. As far as trainings and other activities, you need to accumulate 50 poins per year. If you make like 50%, you get 2 points, 60% gets you 3, 70% gets you 4, 80% gets you 5, 90% gets you 6, and if you can manage to make 100%, well then you're special. Company meetings are one (12 per year) department meetings are 1 (4 per year) stand-bys in quaters or for other depts are 3 points, sleep in stand-bys are 5. Being an officer gets you some points, military does too, and extra training you do besides what the dept requires counts, training at the fire service academy count....there are many more.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

MembersZone Subscriber

We require 20% of all calls and 3 out of 4 drills per month. Drills are 3 hours, held every Wed. We must attend either morning or evening.

Like Spartan Guy said it weeds out the slack-*****es and social members (eventually).
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

We don't have an "official" call minimum but there is a general expectation of making at least 20% of the runs you are qualified for (example non-EMS folks are only evaluated for fire calls). If you don't, you can expect a friendly chat with a captian and then if your atttendance doesn't improve after a couple of months, a closed door conversation with a chief officer regarding your future with the department. We do have a 50% training requirement, which I have pushed to be bumped to 75% but thats another issue for another time.
    If you don't make that, we deduct 10 points (a point is a run or weekly training session) from the end of the year reimbursement check (a point is usually worth $3.25-3.50, depending on the size of the yearly insurance company reimbursement all Louisiana fire departments receive).

10% is really not an unreasonable number given the investment (gear, pager/radio, insurance, training costs) the department has made in you. In fact I would puish for at least 20%. This is especially critical on a small department with a low call volume where you NEED to run calls OFTEN to keep skill levels up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our volunteers are required to make 10% of calls on a monthly basis plus 10% of training you are qualified for. If you are put on probation and do not make the minimums again you are then talked to by the Chief and Training officer and put on another month probabtion. If you fail to make the minimums again, you are thrown off the department.

We just threw 3 people off the department Monday.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Originally posted by mglax13
    ....and if you can manage to make 100%, well then you're special.
    And for those of us with no life, like myself, you can get three consecutive years of 100% drill, meeting and duty crew attendance!

Our department doesn't have a standard concerning this, yet, but I know one will be coming down the pipeline in the next year or so.

Training is important and while I am sometimes to first to grumble at yet another evening of pushing water around, I know it is important... especially to the new guys.

We've got an excellent crew now and attendance is always high, usually only one or two guys missing at any given time, which isnít bad for a crew of 20-25!
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

My department requires 25% fire attendance and there is nothing in the rules and regulations that excuse you because you are working, sick, or for any other reason. We are also forbidden from responding with a breath alcohol level of 0.02 (in other words, you have one beer, you are out of service). Since I work out of town, I am having a terrible time making the 25% this year. So far, no one has made a big issue out of this.

Now, since you brought it up. I have heard that there is something in the FLSA that indicates that if an employer places an attendance requirement as a requirment to maintain employment, they must compensate you for your "on-call" time to ensure that you can meet that requirement. Is anyone out there familiar with this being in the FLSA?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by mglax13
    ....and if you can manage to make 100%, well then you're special.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those of us with no life, like myself, you can get three consecutive years of 100% drill, meeting and duty crew attendance!
    HAHA...well I dind't mean it like that.... the only people who make 100% of their fires are the guys who work across the street at the village hall, or the maintainence guy that works in the firehouse....but even then, if they go away or something, they'll miss a few calls....but if you do go away for an extended period of time....you fill out a form, submit it to you company captain, and are excused from any calls during that time period.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Thread Information