Default Eastern Kentucky

Ok, let me first start off saying I'm a little intimidated posting in here for the first time. I've read these forums for a few years now and I know they can be rough at time but getting back to my question. I am going to be at Eastern Kentucky next year for their Fire Science program. I have searched through past discussions and havenít found the information I'm looking for yet. I know PG County has a large amount of Live-In programs, I was wondering if anyone knew of one of these programs for EKU students. Sorry about the ramble and if this has been brought up before.

EJ. M

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to start a ****ing match or anything...

You're in the wrong place for two reasons: EKU has no departments around it that offer student live in programs and you should have came to Oklahoma State University here in Stillwater, OK. There's still time to transfer...

Well I have heard that both programs are good. Eastern Kentucky was closer to home so I can still go home when I need to. I also really liked to campus there. But since your in a Fire Science program let me ask you what you think of it and what should I expect. Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Engine, your doing this on purpose, I know it.
    At the moment Eastern has a co-op program, and I believe I heard rumors about Richmond Fire department building a small dorm but I am not positive about that. I also heard that Eastern was ranked number 1 in fire science, and somewhere around number 2 in forensics.
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Me? On purpose? Never!

MembersZone Subscriber

EKU1309,

I am a current student here at EKU, and in the co-op program. I would recommend you visit any school you're interested in attending. I am from Illinois and visited both Oklahoma State and EKU before making my decision. Oklahoma State is the nicest campus I have ever been on period. But there program just wasn't what I was looking for. The only program they offered was a Fire Engineering Degree, which EKU offers as well. I was much more impressed with the options available to me at EKU. We have a Fire Engineering Option, Fire and Explosion Investigations major, and my major which is Fire Administration. Fire Administration really catered to me because it is designed for someone wishing to spend their career working for a fire department fighting fire. When I visited OK State they were very very nice, but they did flat out tell me that if I was wanting a career as a firefighter that it might not be the place for me. The reason being is the Engineering degree wouldn't really do much for me on a fire department.

Now for the Co-op program. Richmond Fire department, which is a four station 100% career departmen,t hired 18 students from the fire program to take part in a somewhat reorganized co-op program. This semester we have been meeting every Thursday night to take our FF I class. After we get back from Christmas break many of us will go directly on shift working 24hrs on 48 hrs off and of course leaving when we have classes. Each Co-op recieves $150 a month, free FF I and II training, and any other training the department offers. From what we hear next year they will have completed the new station two which will have a dormitory built onto it for co-ops to live free of charge.

if you have any questions what so ever please feel free to email me at robert_murphy30@eku.edu

Make sure you make those visits

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State University: Stillwater, OK

Default EKU

bobbymurphy:

I am glad to hear that your program is finally getting a co-op program up and going. It actually sounds like that is going to be a sweet deal and it is impressive for the City of Richmond to take advantage of the program for cheap labor.
    As a loyal OSU student that I am, I am sorry to hear that you received the information that you did reference to the comment made about, wanting a career in the fire service, you should go somewhere else. I am dissapointed in our faculty for mentioning such a comment, but it is unfortunatly the mindset of some of our faculty. Good luck with your degree, EKU offers a good program.

and engine1321.....I know you are just trying to figure out who I am.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Can I get some hints?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State University: Stillwater, OK

That would make it too easy......

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, from reading your other posts I know you're a senior, so that narrows my choices down to about 25% of almost 300 people...

Forum Member

Not to stur things way up here but full disclosure is not happening.

EKU is not an accredited degree program and should be avoided until they get their act together. You have your whole life to ride on a fire truck. Get a decent validated education first. Then move on to the rigs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OSUFIREGRAD98 View Post
    Not to stur things way up here but full disclosure is not happening.

EKU is not an accredited degree program and should be avoided until they get their act together. You have your whole life to ride on a fire truck. Get a decent validated education first. Then move on to the rigs

I think you should define "accredited". Eastern Ky Univ. is a state school, and it's fire science degrees are just as valid as any other degree offered. The school is "accredited" by:
    Commission on Colleges,
    Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    1866 Southern Lane
    Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
    (404) 679-4501

www.sacscoc.org

from the SACS website:

Institution Name: Eastern Kentucky University
    CEO: Dr. Joanne K. Glasser, Esq.
    Title: President
    Address 1: 521 Lancaster Avenue
    Address 2:
    City: Richmond State: KY Zip: 40475-3102
    Institution Phone: (859) 622-1000
    Level: IV
    Public Sanctions: NONE
    Candidate:
    Accredited: 1928
    Reaffirmed: 1996
    Next Reaffirmation: 2007
    Control: Public

Forum Member

As LFD said, EKU is accredited through SACCS. That accreditation is valid for all degrees and programs.

Though I never participated in the co-op program, I have made it almost all the way through the Fire and Safety Program at EKU. My first three years I was in the Fire, Arson Explosion Investigation Option. I switched to and have two classes left to finish my option in Industrial Safety and Risk Management.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I can give you personal e-mail address.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

No one is arguing that EKU is not an accredited University. I have a friend who has an MBA from there.

The problem is the DEGREE PROGRAM is not accredited, therefore holding no value outside KY.

Abet is who would accredit this degree program and they have not.

In discussions with EKU back 5 or 6 years ago I was told they were working on that. They have been working on that for over a decade, or so they say.

The institution you are quoting accredited the University not the Degree program. HUGE difference.

The only ABET accredited degree program at EKU is computer science.

Look for yourself at abet.org

You will find OSU and U of Maryland's programs on the list.

ABET accreditation is assurance that a college or university program meets the quality standards established by the profession for which it prepares its students. For example, an accredited engineering program must meet the quality standards set by the engineering profession.

EKU cannot seem to get there act together to get this done.

Accreditation is important:

Accreditation helps students and their parents choose quality college programs.

Accreditation enables employers to recruit graduates they know are well-prepared.

Accreditation is used by registration, licensure, and certification boards to screen applicants.

Accreditation gives colleges and universities a structured mechanism to assess, evaluate, and improve the quality of their programs.

If EKU is telling you the degree is accredited then they lied to you. Where is the proof. Abet is the institution that would do the accreditation and your not on the list. PERIOD.

Forum Member

For those of you reading this and wanting to get into the fire service OSU is now offering the ultimate in degree options:

BS Fire Protection Engineering Technology
    BS Emergency Management
    MS Emergency Management.

You can double major.

Fire protection and Emergency management is the ultimate degree combo.

FEMA sits on the advisory board for the EM Degree and they are looking for grads.

If you want to stay fire service that is great, that's where I have chosen to be. This will make you untouchable when it comes to competing for promotion. No one will even come close to you education wise.

I have the one-two punch and I gotta tell ya I use both programs everyday on the line. It is by far the best way to go.

And to top it all off OSU has the best reputation and the best name recognition of any program worldwide. If you want a job in a large city the reputation gets you in the door.

I had a great time and would recommend OSU for other reasons besides the degrees. Fantastic campus, great sports, good night life, tons of campus programs. Oh ya the home of ISFTA doesn't suck either

Steve Pearson BS MS CFPS (BS & MS from OSU of course)
    Manchester NH FD

Forum Member

OSU sounds like a great school to attend, I have two friends who also went there. Won't be too bad of a drive either since I'm in MO. Are there any other schools that offer these accredited degrees that are worth the thought? Is a degree in something related to fire even worth it? I was thinking about going Physical Education/Dietetics/Business Admin. Wouldn't want to spend the extra money unless it's really going to be worth it.
    Great info btw..
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim

Thread Information