Forum Member

Default good idea or not

I am going to get my first aid/CPR instructor cert. I have came up with an idea to help my community out. I feel that everybody should know first aid and CPR. Lots of people dont get it because it costs money, so what if I was to offer free courses to the public free of charge. I think it might work because or community only has 9000 ppl. I am looking for input from everbody all suggestions are welcome.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good intention, bad way of going about it. It could work but AHA and the Red Cross are going to want money out of it...

Forum Member

We offer courses for the public for about $15. Covers the cost of the card and book. Free is nice, but expensive. If you know what I mean.

Permanently Removed

Default 2 cents...

Good idea. Suggestion- I would make a plan first. Please
    consider this-

1st- I would connect with someone who is established and
    already be CPR and first aid. You would learn some of
    their "tricks of the trade" and get advice on how to
    teach the courses. Plus you might be able to use their
    videos, manikins, etc.

2nd- I would charge a small, sensible fee to teach these
    courses. Build up some revenue to support your program.

3rd- Now that youre established and moving along, teach a
    few class for free to the people who cant afford to pay.

Sound good? Please let me know.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-17-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Forum Member

Talked to some of the other instructors and they would be willing to help. I have the cheif said that I could use the dept and all the tools required, manikins and such. The town is very oil rich so I believe that I could still get away with a FREE of charge idea., because that is the whole idea but a small fee would probably be a good idea. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

Forum Member

My only question is since it is not "sponsored" by ARC or AHA will the participants get "cards" .... in other words will they be certified and what are the legal ramifications of that? I would recommend a quick talk with your department or town lawyer ... I know that I just taught very, very, very basic first aid to 5th graders and the question of "legality" came up. Just passing on something you may want to check out ....

Just my thoughts.

Forum Member

here we hold cpr classes for donations. when people hear donation they tend to give out more money, and not feel bad about it.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

Anybody that is currently running the same sort of classes could you email me at mike_andruik@hotmail.com I would like to ask some questions about the way you run your course.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Do they even have ARC or AHA in Canada?

Like others have said, teach the class for free and not give out cards. Then afterwards have a bucket out for donations.

It is a worthy idea. Good Luck.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

If you are starting a brand new program, you might want to look into the American Safety & Health Institute ( http://www.ashinstitute.org/ ). They offer a decent program for a reasonable price and you maintain your records locally instead of having to have cards issued by a central office like the Red Cross does. We switched to this program a few years ago and have been very happy with them. They now have a 7.5 hour "Essentials in Basic Emergency Care" program that has adult CPR, AED, First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens and Emergency Oxygen Administration" all rolled into one nice, tidy training session.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information